Alex Ross Batman 1966

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Mike Mulitsch

Alex Ross Batman 1966

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

Andy and I were just texting about this, I like it , but where is it from, its like a total tease, Now I do know Alex Ross art is not everybodies thing , I just like seeing our old heros together, He is my second favorite artist, Mr. Fish has that top spot for so many reasons
Attachments
16708291_1375553269163004_7749265112587559589_n.jpg
TBolt

Re: Alex Ross Batman 1966

Post by TBolt »

Sure looks the right size for a comic cover.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
johndeblasi

Post by johndeblasi »

Dose it come in poster size?
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Extremely well done. I'd set it to my phone's wallpaper, but I already have that spot taken by a Fish print, of which I happen to ownšŸ˜†
Music. BAT! Music.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I really really really like this!
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

I'm guessing there will be a six issue Batman 66 meets the 50's Superman series.
jthree
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I like how Superman's chest is flat as if he's laying on the table. :lol: 50s flying effects baby!
Darknite69

Post by Darknite69 »

That is totally Awesome,I love Alex Ross's work!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I'd pay money for that one.

Ross' strength is also his weakness: all his work is "photo-realistic," which means it has a cool realism to it, but also means it lacks the fluidity, dynamism and exaggeration that pretty much defines really great comic art. As long as you agree with his vision of what the characters should look like -- which pretty much means like Alex Ross' friends, family, dentist, etc -- then you're in luck, otherwise not so much. Ross' art answers the question, "What would it look like if superheroes were real," and the answer is very often, "They'd look ridiculous."

In this case, his models are actors we already know and love in the roles, so there's not much of a downside.

I love that this not only achieves the team-up I always wanted (but will never get) but also captures the feel of a vintage "World's Finest" comic cover.

Probably a commission we'll never see anywhere else, but if it was a poster or print I'd shell out the bucks for it, and hang it framed.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

After a second, look, though, I have to say I'm seeing more Mauled Vader than Adam West under that cowl.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

IMG_6117.JPG
IMG_6118.JPG
http://13thdimension.com/is-batman-66-m ... the-works/
Some of the story. Ironically since they did a 77 WW, why not a '78 Superman
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Wrong Batman on that Justice League poster. Replace Mr. Mom with Adam West and you have a winning poster!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Sprang-- OK if I just send you my password and you put both our names on your posts? ;)

Totally agree with the sentiments and the line about his Dentist made me laugh. I've been arguing for years that total realism in comics only emphasizes how ridiculous these costumes are in real life. His Batman (Not the west one) with the tall boots looks like a cross dresser to me. That's no attack on Alex, the costume just is plain silly on a real person.

It also explains why Hollywood goes the rubber suit version.

But even then, the "realism" is ridiculous. I'd love to see two trained fighters, one dressed in loose fitting clothes and one wearing the Keaton or Affleck Batman suit (and I guarantee you said combat fighters would NOT be hugely muscled guys) and see how long the guy in the rubber suit lasts-- I'm guessing all of two minutes. You can't fight if you can't move and even worse if you can't see.

DC keeps on making Batman bigger and bigger, muscle on muscle, and it's ridiculous. He's supposed to be able to leap from building to building, if he was carrying that much heft he would be winded after the first leap.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Great point Andy, lil off topic but Modern Bat suits would be almost impossible to fight, climb, leap, or run at speed. Looks F ing awesome, but not feasible.
Also a cape would be tough to fight in.
After watching Keaton Batman for the first time I thought " he can't turn his head, maybe no one comes at him from the side?"
However, that is the reason I love Alex's work. The realism. How would these people look walking down the street? Don't you occasionally see a guy at a Con and think" Oh, now that's Batman?", or something similar?
Isn't everyone constantly designing the suit he would wear, if he was Batman, in their heads? " This works, that doesn't..."
No, just me?
And finally, did we find out what these pieces are for? Covers? Prints?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Cosplay at cons is one of my favorite things-- I don't participate but I love to see them. Batman HAS to be the most represented character after Harley Quinn-- seriously last year at one show friends and I counted 75 Harley's. Another show just had a Harley category.

I like when the Batmen mix it up--- so maybe you get an Gotham By Gaslight Batman, or a Silver Age Batman or even a full size adult Ben Cooper Batman costume.

The first time I ever saw Ross's work that was exactly my reaction Batrunner-- but when he got to Batman he used the rubber cowl and I was disappointed. As an artist I can also spot models, and when you use the same model for more than one character it's a letdown. I do like that he uses Fred MacMurray for his Captain Marvel, even though I'd go with Tom Tyler. I think he might be the single best live interpretation of a superhero in costume.Image