Words not meant to be funny but make you laugh anyway...

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatmanFan102

Words not meant to be funny but make you laugh anyway...

Post by BatmanFan102 »

Two come to mind.

The episode "Batman Sets The Pace" where they end up exposing Joker as the Maharajah of Nimpa, when Joker and his moll escape during the fight scene, Batman runs to the area where they escaped and he yells "FIENDS!" For some odd reason that cracks me up every single time!

In the Batman movie from 1966, when Batman and Robin first discover the bomb left behind in the villains' lair, Batman orders Robin away. Then moments later Robin calls out "Come on Batman...BatMAN!"

The second time he yells Batman, Robin is off screen, but the way he yells it for some silly reason gets me to crack up every time!

Are there certain words or lines from the show or the movie that cause you to laugh that are clearly not intended to do so?
The Boss

Re: Words not meant to be funny but make you laugh anyway...

Post by The Boss »

My apologies as I forget exactly which episode it was at the moment. In a second season episode Batman is trying to rescue Catwoman who is dangling from the window by the Batrope when someone comes from behind and pushes Batman out the window where Adam delivers the most casual sounding dead pan "oops!" that it comes off as totally comical. :lol:
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

I do love when characters say "Lulu Schultz?" to Lola Lasagne. Also the horse being named Waynebeau.

Well, I guess these words were *meant* to make us laugh, but these King Tut lines, all in "Batman's Waterloo", are belly ticklers:

"When we get to the Royal Oil Boiling Room, be sure to prepare some real boiling Royal Boiling Oil, to boil the Boy Wonder in, royally."

"Curse you, Batman. May you fall down a flight of stairs and break every tooth in your head except one and in that may you have a toothache for the rest of your life which won't be very long!"

"I'm sure you'll be happy to welcome me into your family, I come from good stock. My father was a king, grandfather before him, and so am I."

"My queen is disloyal, the handmaiden is a traitor, and everybody's being mean to me!"
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

The Boss wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:57 am My apologies as I forget exactly which episode it was at the moment. In a second season episode Batman is trying to rescue Catwoman who is dangling from the window by the Batrope when someone comes from behind and pushes Batman out the window where Adam delivers the most casual sounding dead pan "oops!" that it comes off as totally comical. :lol:
The episode is "Cat and the Fiddle".
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

"I'm Tut! Master of Thieves, King of the Nile. And that's just on Mama's side of the family."
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Both from the pilot:
"TWO! TO! TWO!"
"...Lay-Zar beam."
:lol:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

The Boss wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:57 am My apologies as I forget exactly which episode it was at the moment. In a second season episode Batman is trying to rescue Catwoman who is dangling from the window by the Batrope when someone comes from behind and pushes Batman out the window where Adam delivers the most casual sounding dead pan "oops!" that it comes off as totally comical. :lol:
I have to go with the oops on this one also. Totally hilarious. I still giggle over that one. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't utter oops had that been me.
eewdoc

Post by eewdoc »

In part 2 of the first Penguin episode, Batman fires the Bat-zooka to shoot their grappling hook over a wall that was too high to throw the bat-a rang. One of the Penguin's goons heard the blast and said "What was that?" The other goon said " Sounds like a Bat-zooka!" That cracks me up every time.
eewdoc

Post by eewdoc »

Ive got another one. In the movie, where they are stuck to the buoy and The villains are firing torpedoes at them, Batman uses his Bat communicator in reverse polarity to send out waves of super energy to jam the torpedoes. The Penguin deduces, " He must have a Super Energy Reverse Polarizer!!!
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Glacia Glace in Ice Spy\Duo Defy:

"'To each his own, as the woman said when she kissed her cow."

:) Not to say it wasn't meant to be funny, but she said it very seriously. EVERYTHING after the first season was meant to be funny. And I hated the "Oops". :roll:
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Joker, after Batman and Robin escape the gas deathtrap by climbing up the chimney: "I have a much more succulent idea."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I like when Adam doffs his cowl and says, "I doff my cowl to you." Pretty much the highest compliment you can ever be paid. In 1976 in Chicago, I met him and was wearing the George Barris Adam West Batman/Batmobile shirt. He not only did that to me but also autographed the shirt right on me!
Music. BAT! Music.
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

Therin of Andor wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:12 am I do love when characters say "Lulu Schultz?" to Lola Lasagne. Also the horse being named Waynebeau.

Well, I guess these words were *meant* to make us laugh, but these King Tut lines, all in "Batman's Waterloo", are belly ticklers:

"When we get to the Royal Oil Boiling Room, be sure to prepare some real boiling Royal Boiling Oil, to boil the Boy Wonder in, royally."

"Curse you, Batman. May you fall down a flight of stairs and break every tooth in your head except one and in that may you have a toothache for the rest of your life which won't be very long!"

"I'm sure you'll be happy to welcome me into your family, I come from good stock. My father was a king, grandfather before him, and so am I."

"My queen is disloyal, the handmaiden is a traitor, and everybody's being mean to me!"
Oh my, you just quoted some of my favorite lines ever - the King Tut eps were always downright hysterical for me.

This exchange always cracked me up, especially after the first time I ever heard it and was like "What the heck did I just hear?"

'Robin: She looks very pretty when she's asleep.

Batman: I thought you might eventually notice that. That single statement indicates to me the first oncoming thrust of manhood, old chum.'

I suppose whats funniest about it is the story behind the take - or should I say, many takes.
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

I forgot to add these,

'[Catwoman is about to feed Robin to a tiger.]
Robin: Catwoman, you are not a nice person!'

'Robin: Oh boy, I'll say. Can I go first? I want to see their faces.
Batman: [Holding Robin back] Dynamic seniority.'

'Batman: Don't interrupt! I'm trying to fathom the sub-conscience of a deadly criminal!'

'Robin: Holy oleo!
Catwoman: I didn't know you could yodel.'

'Robin: Her legs sort of reminded me of Catwoman's.
Batman: You're growing up, Robin. Remember, in crime-fighting always keep your sights raised.'

'Batman: We have tickets for tonight's finals in the Gotham City Miss Galaxy contest. I know Robin is a little young for this sort of thing, but...
Robin: I'm not gonna be young all my life, Batman, and besides beauty contests are practically an American institution.
Batman: You see, gentlemen, such pure logic is indisputable.'

'Robin: That's an impossible shot, Batman.
Batman: That's a negative attitude, Robin.'

'King Tut: It isn't that I love you any less, Batman. Simply that I love me more.'
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Delayed reaction on this one: In "While Gotham City Burns", Bookworm brings Aunt Harriet a copy of the Congressional Record from 1919, telling her the illustrations were "sopecon."

At least I thought that was what he said when I was six, and I couldn't find it in the dictionary, so I thought maybe he was speaking a foreign language, and "sopecon" meant "very special."

It was years later when my vocabulary improved enough to realize he was saying "so piquant!"
(Sort of my own Ed Norton "Poloponies" moment... :roll: :lol: )
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."