Neca 1/4 - Customized fabric Bat-Suit upgrade

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
moparco

Neca 1/4 - Customized fabric Bat-Suit upgrade

Post by moparco »

***Admin Note: I have created a dedicated thread for this topic as it deserves it's own space rather than getting lost in the 88 page and counting Merchandise thread. BB ***
Larry A. wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:22 pm Amen to that!!!!!

Cheers,
Thanks guys for the compliments, I appreciate that very much! Sorry that I did not take step by step pics at the time. I was inspired by a guy in the states who had done this to his Neca. ( see link) hope this helps.
It has been a while back when I did this so I will try to describe the mod the best I can; Important to not try to take the figure apart when cold, you have to put in hot water for a while to soften the plastic. Still be careful but it will take some muscle to take some joints apart. Cape removal before you do a Batsubmerge :) Then warm it up ( 60 -65°C = 149°F) then take of his head which came of not to hard as I remember, just be careful not to angle the joint to much for risk of breaking the joint. The cloves were relatively easy but the boots were clued with superclue, so you may need some tools to prie? pry? ( sorry ) them loose. If you damage the inserts is no big problem because they will be hidden when mounted again.
When boots are removed ( try to keep figure constantly warm in hot water!) then I took the belt of over the hips down ( plastic is warm so it stretches) then I noticed that his trunks were glued in the middle with a little square notch of the front and back, so again keep the plastic warm and pry the trunk loos from the "pelvis" part. Also take trunk down and keep plastic hot ( sounds weird)
Now you have a pretty workable piece.
You can try to keep it this way so without taking lower and upper body further apart.

The textile I used was pretty stretchy which is a necessaty for a nice tight fit.

Make templates of the upper body; first I did the arms apart but that was way to hard and ugly, so I simply made a template by taking a piece of Template paper? ( used by sewers/tailors) and make a template like drawing , this way you get a simpler and easier to make suit.

I used two layers of fabric because with one layer the belly joint was still to Obvious. If there is a difference in the fabric upper or under make sure which side you want to see, and sew the suit inside out together. I know it will take some hours of sweat and maybe some bad words but eventualy I hope you guys or wives/ girlfriends will manage .
The legs are easy, also first make a template on paper and again double layer or if fabric is thick just one. and sew inside out the two seperate tights. Some extra pics to hopefully make things more clear. Good luck!
DSCN2544.JPG
Attachments
DSCN1163 S.JPG
DSCN2547.JPG
DSCN2545.JPG
DSCN2548.JPG
DSCN2549.JPG
moparco

Re: The Latest Batman Item You've Acquired?

Post by moparco »

To much pictures , so here are the other ones.
Btw, use superglue to attach the open ends of the arms and legs for a tight fit, and make sure the gloves and boots fit.
Pictures for a slight altering of the cowl, makes it more accurate. What did I do? After soften the head in hot water pinch the cowl on the upper side of the cowl so the eyes appear more in sight instead of in the shade of the eyeopenings of the cowl.
Another pic of the suit for better explain of which sides to sew together. :)
Attachments
DSCN2550.JPG
before S.JPG
after S.JPG
Ben Bentley

Re: Neca 1/4 - Customized fabric Bat-Suit upgrade

Post by Ben Bentley »

This is great stuff! Thanks so much for taking the time to share!

Cool tip regarding the cowl-mod too!
moparco

Post by moparco »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:39 am This is great stuff! Thanks so much for taking the time to share!

Cool tip regarding the cowl-mod too!
You´re welcome!

Kind regards,
Marco
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Thanks to a good friend here on the boards my Neca now sports a suit-- I cannot believe how much better this looks-- it truly rivals the Hot Toys figure. I won't out the friend so they aren't deluged with requests for similar help but they went above and beyond to take care of me.

Much appreciated!
NECA donesmall.jpg
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

AndyFish wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:44 pm Thanks to a good friend here on the boards my Neca now sports a suit-- I cannot believe how much better this looks-- it truly rivals the Hot Toys figure. I won't out the friend so they aren't deluged with requests for similar help but they went above and beyond to take care of me.

Much appreciated!

NECA donesmall.jpg
Niiiiiice! I'm definitely looking into this.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Great job, whoever. He looks so much better. Looks like I'll have to try this eventually.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Amazing how much better it looks!
moparco

Post by moparco »

AndyFish wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:44 pm Thanks to a good friend here on the boards my Neca now sports a suit-- I cannot believe how much better this looks-- it truly rivals the Hot Toys figure. I won't out the friend so they aren't deluged with requests for similar help but they went above and beyond to take care of me.

Much appreciated!

NECA donesmall.jpg
Looks so much better! Great job from your friend.