Would this be a possibility?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

The Boss

Would this be a possibility?

Post by The Boss »

As with everyone else on here I was really hoping for more animated Adam West Batman in addition to the upcoming film. A third film or even a TV series would have been wonderful. Sadly, with Adam's passing all hope of that is lost... or is it?

While skimming YouTube I ran across a CGI Star Trek fan film that utilized the voices of ALL of the original cast. I was intrigued on how this was accomplished. It turns out that this guy ripped the audio tracks from two video games from the 90s. But he didn't just animate around the tracks. He clipped the words of each sentence and rearanged them to form the sentences that he needed. Furthermore he adjusted them for tone, timing and syllable emphasis to make the lines sound natutal, authentic and in character. It's an amazing feet that Paramount Pictures should jump on. He says that he has already produced enough tracks to create 18 full length episodes and is working on more claiming to have created tens of thousands of lines of dialog resulting in endless possibilities for further adventures with the full original cast. Again, Paramount should jump on this.

Here is the link to the film:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NCD9tgWeZYQ
Here is the link to the interview:
http://www.axanarproductions.com/fan-fi ... es-part-1/

After being amazed by the quality (of the audio track) and creativity I began wondering if the same thing could be done with Adam West. While he didn't record any major dialog for video games, he has recorded countless hours of dialog during interviews over the years. If the same process was used to break down his words and reconstruct them into the desired sentences and then altered for tone, timing and syllable emphasis (to simulate his character performance) perhaps satisfying dialog could be created for additional Batman adventures. Burt Ward would of course be brought back as Robin to ensure authenticity.

Do any of you think this could work? Today's technology is amazing.
chetchumley

Re: Would this be a possibility?

Post by chetchumley »

im sure it could be done ?? but whether or not they would go to all that trouble remains to be seen..
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Although it could "technically" be done, it would be an enormous amount of work. Personally I think things should be left alone.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I think it would be a great idea.
The Batker

Post by The Batker »

It would never be authentic enough, or live up to the work of Adam. Sadly, should just be left alone.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

CGI Kirk needs a better toupee. :lol: And Spock looks kind of feminine. :shock:

This is a fun exercise, I guess, but in general I'm against "Frankensteining" performances out of leftover bits and pieces. I think it does a disservice to the performers to imply their performances could be "assembled" like widgets on an assembly line.

Plus, to be honest, I don't trust anyone to come up with something as good as the originals. It's sad that some things are over and done, but at least if they're left in the past, no one here in the present can screw them up.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'm completely with Sprang here, it cheapens the performance of the actors. It's creepy and I wouldn't buy it.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Agree with SprangFan. There's no modern day screenwriter who would capture the energy and cultural awareness of the TV series. All we have seen since 1968 is one misguided notion of "camp = walking joke" after another if TV Batman was involved, so no one needs to see that promoted anymore. Moreover, unlike Star Trek, where several of the original, BTS crew worked on spin-offs such as the animated series and the movies, Batman post 1968 has none of that going for it.

Batman's TV legacy would be soiled by slapped together "performances" and all for what? Its not genuine, and would come off as trying to squeeze that last penny out of a TV series.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I'm with Sprang Fan and BATWINGED HORNET on this one.

As a fan project, i'm all for anyone expressing their fandom as they see fit (within the confines of safety and as long as it isn't dangerous or offensive). That being said...

...In a wider sense, I think we intrinsically lose the alchemy between the incredible performances, the writing and cultural/historical context that makes Dozier's vision of Batman's world so special to us in the first place.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Boss, I have to agree with Ben. If it's a fan creation and done in the sprit of family entertainment, great. The making of anything more just sounds like a cash grab. And as Andy said, creepy.
Music. BAT! Music.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

But, isn't the point of ANY project to make money? The oportunity for the producers to make money is what gives we fans the opportunity to enjoy the work.

If not for the opportunity to "cash in" we would have never seen the series released to DVD, the Batman '66 comics nor the new animated films. In fact, money was the driving force that brought us the creation of the TV series (and anything else in existance today) in the first place. Additional work should not be shunned just becauae someone makes money off of it.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

If we get back to the original question; is this a possibility?
Absolutely-- if a studio or an individual wanted to put the time aside to take snippets of dialogue, reassemble them and then use technology to change the inflection of delivery of those spoken words then yes it's very possible, we see it with the Star Trek sample.

I think the follow up to it, which most of us are commenting, is that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Whether it be as an argument against it because it cheapens the artistic value of an actor's performance or because it's doubtful a studio would spend the amount of money it would cost to produce it. It would seem most of us fall into the latter category.

I'm sure in the future CGI will be such that they can create a truly lifelike image of a famous actor complete with voice and use it to create a viable alternative to paying an actor, or to make a feature with an actor who is no longer with us (Casablanca 2 with Bogie and Bergman) but I personally wouldn't be interested in seeing it because it would be little more than a parlor trick and lack the heart of a project that human beings actually put performances into.

I don't watch a lot of new movies, but I'm constantly hearing how CGI is SO realistic now and I sit through it and ask "really?" Because it looks like a big video game to me (I'm looking at you Spider-Man Homecoming).

I think if someone wanted to really put the effort into technology, build a time machine, then go back to 1965 and convince Dozier to put a show runner in place who actually got what made the first season rock. If you were able to do that it's likely the show would have run until 1973.
Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero »

I think if someone wanted to really put the effort into technology, build a time machine, then go back to 1965 and convince Dozier to put a show runner in place who actually got what made the first season rock. If you were able to do that it's likely the show would have run until 1973.

AMEN TO THAT, AndyFish!
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Remember the '78 version of Game of Death ?

Bruce Lee was dead but that didn't stop them shamelessly trying to fool people it was a real BL movie :|