BATMAN: SINISTER SIDESHOW OF DR SCORPIO!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

BATMAN: SINISTER SIDESHOW OF DR SCORPIO!

Post by AndyFish »

I'm following up my BATMAN DEATH RAY OF HUGO STRANGE with a '66 Version of Batman-- I'm playing with the overall look and style of how I want the strip to look-- can I get some thoughts here?

I can color it straight

Or I can do it with the Ben day style dots to make it seem like a vintage comic;

Opinions would be welcome-- I'll be starting the strip at the end of the Summer and I'll be posting it here provided the Mods give me the thumbs up.
Thanks!
elmrgraham

Re: BATMAN: SINISTER SIDESHOW OF THE JOKER!

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent Andy.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I like the first one better but the dots can still be used for "light hearted" shadow effect during dramatic moments.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way but, I never got into your last comic mainly because of the design (it just wasn't to my taste) but as a major fan of Batman '66 I already see potential with this and cannot wait to read it!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I would never take offense to tastes, the other comic is done in the spirit of pulp magazines while this one will be pop art related. Very different.
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

I like the first version better - I think it would be easier on the eyes over the long run.
Can't wait to see this! :D
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Wow, so excited for this! I like the retro style of the second version, but they're both great. Does this mean we'll be reading these soon?
- Boy Genius
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Jim K, Bat fan wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:34 pm I like the first version better - I think it would be easier on the eyes over the long run.
Not only that but, the colors stand out much more in the first one. Bright colors were one of the major attractions of the TV series. The first one feels more authentic to the TV series. IMO
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Bingo-- it's not a retro comic book it's an homage to a show that used bright colors-- so the first one it is.
It'll start up in the Fall-- unlike DEATH RAY which was done as a challenge in my studio to complete one a week among all the other gigs we had, much like the way they worked in the early 1940s, SINISTER SIDESHOW will be focused on the craft and that means it may not come out every week, or it might depending on the kind of workload I have, but the bottom line is I won't rush it for the sake of the deadline. It's s different experiment.

But, thanks for the feedback-- you guys really helped.
I'll post more studies here as they become available.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Love the work--especially the attention to a detail like the "ears" being an actual attachment (like the '66 inspiration), instead of a single mold sculpt for the mask.
Beneath Wayne Manor
AndyFish

Re: BATMAN: SINISTER SIDESHOW OF DR SCORPIO!

Post by AndyFish »

Thanks for the comments.
I've worked out a few details-- it'll be set in 1964 so we'll get to see some differences from the show including a younger Robin, and a newer relationship between Batman and Gordon. I'll be running it here starting at the end of the summer.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Jim K, Bat fan wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:34 pm I like the first version better - I think it would be easier on the eyes over the long run.
Yes. What he said.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I just ask one thing. Please, no origin stories. That was one of the few things that urked me about the Batman '66 comics. I much prefer the simpler idea of these are the bad guys and Batman and Robin are the good guys with no need for origins. From the very first episode Burt said, "him again" in regards to the villain and nobody questioned it.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Is the new thread title possibly a clue to a change in the Special Guest Villain?
- Boy Genius
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Looking forward to this! Oh, I know I'm a little late to the party here, but yes, the first one as was agreed upon. Come on Fall! Get here soon!
Music. BAT! Music.