What rekindled your interest in Batman '66?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Golddragon71

What rekindled your interest in Batman '66?

Post by Golddragon71 »

Not so long ago I created a thread where I asked the question "When did you stop watching Batman '66?" Of course many said never until they read through the full post. Now, in my case, I never stopped enjoying Batman '66 when it was on (no matter when I was able to watch it) But I have to be honest, I wasn't going out of my way to watch it until the mid 2000's (mostly due to the fact that I had met Adam, Burt and Julie in those years at Wizard World Conventions) between 1977 and 1993-4 I think my only interactions with that interpretation of Batman were the official Batbook, (published in '86) the Feature film, (re-re-re-released on VHS and DVD during the intervening years) and the snippets we got in various VHs compilation tapes at the time (like Batman, Robin and other Superheroes)
So when was your interest rekindled? Did you cath it on FX or Hub or whatever other channel aired it? Did you watch a particular episode of Brave and the Bold? or maybe your interest laid dormant until the Mattel figures and DC Comics series appeared....
maybe you didn't even develop an interest in Batman '66 until recently (I know there HAVE to be a few noobs out there!)
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
elmrgraham

Re: What rekindled your interest in Batman '66?

Post by elmrgraham »

I grew up watching Batman on ABC-TV in 1966.That got me started.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I have always watched it when it was on. While for many years I could only watch the movie whenever I felt like it, I always watched the series whenever it was on, the '77 Filmation series, Legends of the Superheroes, bootleg VHS and DVDs, the official DVD set, the Batman '66 comic book, Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders and all Bat-marathons that I was able to catch.

Even though the TV series predated me, I have remained a fan from the moment that I first discovered it as a child.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Rekindled? My friend, it's never left my life since I was 4 in 1967. Sure, there was time I couldn't watch it because it wasn't on or my life had no time for TV, but never was it not the most important TV series in my life and the people connected to the show.
Music. BAT! Music.
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Well, most of us who are around age 40 on up remember watching as kid.
I'm 43 so I watched in re-runs. Although to me, they were new and instantly this was MY Batman.
As the years passed, I'd collect what I could afford (which wasn't much back then). And of course look for any way to watch the show (even if it meant bootleg copies).
I will admit that, although my love for the show never fell short, my belief that I would ever see the show be officially released was fading. Let alone would I ever think I'd see such an outpouring of merchandise!
And if that wasn't enough, then being able to meet MY Childhood Heros; Adam West & Burt Ward TWICE!!

Long story short what did it for me was the release of the Show on Blu-Ray. The colors are so great that it really did take me back to my childhood playing with my Mego toys watching BATMAN!!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

Always was a fan of the show since the beginning but it did take a back seat to some of my other interests until....

My passion was rekindled once I found and obtained a fairly decent replica of the Bat cowl, the first one I had seen. This sparked the flame that led to my completing the full costume in about 3 years time!
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Strangely enough, it was The Dark Knight that got me back into '66 Batman. I watched the '66 movie probably once a year after the DVD came out, but I never caught the show on TV, I don't think.

After the second Nolan movie came out, I guess I wanted to revisit my original Batman again. YouTube had all of the '66 episodes online and so I watched the series proper for the first time since I was five years old. I think I like it even better now than I did back then - and I liked it plenty as a kid.

I've been lurking around here since then, but only created an account just recently. This forum is also part of what "rekindled" '66 Batman for me. Take care, Bat-fans!
- Boy Genius
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

A kid in my neighborhood in the early '70s had a massive collection of hot wheels cars. In the collection was a BIG Corgi Batmobile! I was told it was from a TV show that isn't on anymore. Then, at around 1975, I I got the Batman purr fect crime view master reels for Christmas! What the heck was this show that isn't on anymore? Why isn't it on?!?

I didn't get see the show until I was a teen. I've always been fascinated by it....now I've got the whole collection on Blu Ray, mua ha ha!!
CADA

Post by CADA »

1st let me say I wrote this in a Facebook post also when Adam West passed away that had it not been for this show and the 1949 serial more the 66 series I wouldn't be a Batman fan today. I owe everything to the 1966 series with that said I 1st saw this and the serial back in 1989 when the 1st Batman movie came out so I believe Batman would have been on FX not sure I was 4 years old I saw it again when Scifi decided to re-air it in 2000 I was 14 I still loved it then it popped up on Tv Land again still loved it. Being 31 now I will say that I do love Batman being dark but I still and will always love the 1966 Series its very high on my Batman list I would go even as far as to say that it is number 1 on my list I was never one of those fans that lets say loved the series but then the dark films would come out talk trash about it saying it was campy stuff and so on I hate that everybody has a right to their opinion I don't agree with their opinion most of the time but I do respect their opinion I feel that if someone is a Batman fan they should show this series respect because I say this all the time it is the reason why we still have Batman today had it not been for this series he would have been gone forever.
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

The show being on Canada's Space TV at the time. The later one hour TV Land broadcast helped a lot. Before that, I couldn't even sit through the movie. Now it's the greatest thing ever. Having the DVDs is great!!! But now that I finally have Bluray players, I wish I could still get those.
VintageMike

Post by VintageMike »

It's always been there, but I have to say the offcial DVD releases is what really kicked it into high gear this last time. Reason being I have watched it almost excusively on while on vacation with my portable DVD player. It added a specialness that might not have been there had I burned through the set. I'm still in the middle of season 2 right now. Watching in this manner has also mad eme examine/appreciate things I didn't in the past such as the various molls. While there is other content to be seen/get when I finish, I may break tradition and just start over when I'm done. I usually "retire" a show once I 've completed it on vacastion but don't think that will be the case this time. I'll just start over, as by the time I finish, it wil be four, possibly even five years since I started. There FTC Mego style releases also helped too as I'm also a Mego collector so I gobbled most of those up.
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

TV Land airing it in the early 2000's.

I had a handful of episodes on VHS from airings in the mid to late 80's; but the picture and sound weren't the best.

Around 2003 when it was on TV Land, I recorded every episode, pausing for commercials when I was also able to watch (it aired at 3 in the morning). They played it for an hour, so it took a little over 2 months to get every episode. The episodes were mostly in order, but they did skip around a little when their rotation got messed up by a three part-er.

It was nice having all the episodes, but the TV edits made it feel incomplete.

So of course the DVD set - which for years I thought would never happen - was great.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

VintageMike wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:35 pm Reason being I have watched it almost exclusively on while on vacation with my portable DVD player.
[...]
I'll just start over, as by the time I finish, it wil be four, possibly even five years since I started.
That's a nice long vacation. And the battery on that portable DVD player must be atomic or something!
:x
- Boy Genius
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

^^^ Atomic batteries to power...
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

This sort of ties into my answer to our thread a while back: Do You Remember When You Stopped Watching The Show? . My posted answer is below.
-------------------------
As a kid watching the original run, it would have been whenever it went off the air from repeats or syndication. It was a different world back then. We had five TV channels, all of which went off the air at midnight. We watched what was offered and we had no control over it. I suspect it was sometime in the 70s.
-------------------------

My interest was never gone, so rekindled isn't the right word. It's more of an ability to watch it. I'd occasionally catch a one-of showing late at night on some obscure cable channel through the years but it was rare. You Tube versions were horrendous so I didn't bother.

It wasn't until I accidentally discovered it on IFC a few years ago that I was able to watch it regularly. They showed four episodes early in the morning on weekends. 5:00 to 7;00 seems like. I'd set my alarm, make some coffee, and watch it in the guest room to keep from waking the house. That held me until the DVDs came out.

*edit*
To be clear, I've been a lifelong Batman uber-nerd because of the show. I just had to find other ways to follow and interact, e. g., comic books, graphic novels, a few of the films.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”