What Further Adventures Would You Like To See In Batman '66?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

chrisbcritter

Re: What Further Adventures Would You Like To See In Batman '66?

Post by chrisbcritter »

Veering back towards topic.
I've always liked the idea of False-Face returning; I wonder how he would work as a comic-book villain as opposed to the live TV character? (If he alredy was in the comics, please forgive me - I almost never read them as a kid.) At least there would be no extra royalty problems (like paying off Malachi Throne's heirs) with a character who was always either wearing that full mask or in disguise as someone else.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

Well False Face was never in the regular Batman comics as he was a one-off character in the first season of the TV show.(Although the Crime Boss known as Black Mask had a gang called the False-Face Society) As to the newer Batman '66 line based on the show he was in at least one issue(#7) or three (#19-21) if you bought the didgital versions)
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

The Boss wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:28 pm We're talking about a comic book. There would be no actresses. lol No hijacking this thread please. ;)

Well. Sometimes bringing up an actress, can help us to picture us in our minds what the comic book version might look like. Really.

three
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I definitely agree.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

The Boss wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:24 am Sweet Tooth made a big enough impression to warrent his revival on an episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold
No kidding! A quick Google search tells me that lots of '66 characters got into that show. Pretty cool 8-) . Alright, I'll sign up for a Sweet Tooth story so long as we get another '66 style Two Face as well.

I haven't read every '66 comic so correct me if I'm wrong, but I've only seen the Preminger Freeze depicted. Preminger had probably the best costume design, but I always liked Sanders' take on the character a little better. The comic series never tackled that kind of "seriousness" (for want of a better word) and that's something I'd like to see. Well, would have liked, anyway.
- Boy Genius
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

chrisbcritter wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:39 am I've always liked the idea of False-Face returning; I wonder how he would work as a comic-book villain as opposed to the live TV character?
As Goldendragon71 pointed out False Face was used in issue #7. He was also used in issue #23 in a very clever (and revealing) way. I won't spoil it for you but you should check those issues out.

Another concept for a 6 issue crossover:

Batman '66 Meets Inspector Clouseau

As another popular 60's crime fighter (of sorts) Peter Seller's beloved character of The Pink Panther film series would be extremely easy to envision in the world of Batman '66. In fact, it's kind of a shame that Clouseau did not make a window cameo.

During an extremely rare expedition from its home country, the famed Pink Panther diamond is on display in Gotham city until it gets stolen by Martha Queen of Diamonds (naturally). Realizing the international crisis that this theft could cause (not to mention the embarrasment to Gotham Police Department) Commissioner Gordon calls Batman immediately. They wait for Batman to arrive and hope that he can recover the diamond before word gets out.

Suddenly - as if on cue ;) - a trench coat wearing, Trilby hatted man appears :

"Who are you?"

"I am Inspector Jacques Clouseau. I'm here for zee Pink Panther"

(Earlier...) we learn from Commissioner Dreyfus (in France) That Clouseau took it upon himself to travel to America to guard the Pink Panther diamond. Dreyfus - eternally flabbergasted at Clouseau's amazing success rate and notoriety in spite of himself (not to mention that more often than not Dreyfus is the victim of Clouseau's blunders) - athough notably frustrated at Clouseau's breech of protocol, takes pleasure in knowing that Clouseau won't be around to cause havic for a while. "Fine. Let the American's deal with him. It will be like a vacation for me." He then props his feet on his desk, leans back in his chair... and falls! :lol: Even on the other side of the world Dreyfus cannot escape the curse of Clouseau.

This openning will be nessesary to both establish Clousea's stature and bungling as well as the character of Dreyfus whom we will see again later. We don't actually see Clouseau himself however until his dramatic emergence in commissioner Gordon's office.

(Meanwhile...) Gordon and O'Hara think that word has already gotten out of the Pink Panther theft and Clouseau has been sent to recover it. In truth, the inspector has no idea of the theft and only came because he felt that he was the only person qualified to guard the diamond. But, once he realizes that it has been stolen he quickly covers his tracks, "Yes, I know zat. Zat is why I am here."

When Batman and Robin arrive Clouseau mistakes them for criminals and tries to subdue them with a couple of misplaced karate chops which the dynamic duo easily avoid. Gordon quickly informs the inspector that Batman and Robin are duly deputized agents of the law and would gladly assist and tracking down the whereabouts of the Pink Panther.

Inspector Clouseau is a bit insulted feeling that - as the #1 Inspector of France - he needs no help. But, Batman convinces him that they would be useful as guides seeing as how Clouseau is in unfamiliar suroundings. Clouseau agrees and the they are off to recover the diamond with the understanding that Clouseau is in charge of this case.

"Holy ineptitude! Batman!"

"I know Old Chum but, we must humor him less risk insulting the entire nation of France."
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Although they must pretend to play second fiddle In order to feed Inspector Clouseau's ego, Batman and Robin are very much running this case and somehow managed to steer Inspector Clouseau in the right direction without him catching on.

In the end, the dynamic duo managed to arrest Marsha and her aunt Hilda while Clouseau amazingly manages to end up with the Pink Panther diamond in hand. "Ah, HA! Zee case, she is sol-ved!"
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

I still want to see a showdown between Newmar Catwoman and Kitt Catwoman as they are very different characters (not just because they are portrayed by different actresses) Newmar's Catwoman clearly had feelings for Batman while Kitt's Catwoman harbored no such sentiments.
(I could even see a scene in which Kitt's Catwoman says as much
"Don't confuse me with my mewling predecessor Batman! I hold no affection for you and will gladly rid the world of yourrrrr disgusting do-gooding in order to furtherrrrrr my own nefarrrrrrrious endssssss!"
(I'm certainly open to a triple threat if we were to add Meriwether's Catwoman into the Mix!)
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree Golddragon 71.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I try to stay positive to all ideas but, I must respectfully disagree with the Catwoman showdown. The fact is that despite being played by differant actresses they are all supposed to be the same character. Suddenly saying that there are three Catwomen disrupts this. Then you will have to explain why there are three Mr. Freezes, two Riddlers and two Batman and Robins (Lyle Waggoner & Peyer Deyell). Once you open that door it would get way out of hand. IMO

The Batman '66 series has done a wonderful job thus far of providing stories featuring the likenesses of all three actresses while maintaining the solidarity of the character.

That being said, I have always been the one to say but anything is possible with the like amount of creativity. While I personally would not want to open the door of multiple universes and multiple mr. Freezes, Catwomen etc. If someone would come forth with an actual story that would depict the use of all three Catwoman without disrupting the confines of the television series (something that I myself have done in another thread) I am always willing to read it and give it an opportunity. However, at this point I know of nothing that would make a feasible Batman '66 comic book story.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

I like the idea of Marsha stealing the Pink Panther, but considering this is a (totally imaginary) BATMAN comic, shouldn't Clouseau take more of a back seat and let the Dynamic Duo run the show? Maybe he'd pop up now and then, solving the case his own way and crossing Batman and Robin's path from time to time, but...
That's just me. You do you. :x
- Boy Genius
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I understand your point Dan E Kool, that we must keep Batman and Robin the focal point, which they would be. My reasoning for having them pretend to play second fiddle is quite simple. Since this is a crossover "episode" it's important to have plenty of interaction between the two. As I stated only Clouseau thinks that he is in control of the case. Batman and Robin must allow Clouseau to believe this while strategically steering him in the right direction so not to shatter Clouseau's illusion of competence. Batman - always thinking of others - doesn't want to risk insulting the entire nation of France by calling out the (obvious) Incompetence of their beloved Inspector so he and Robin must deal with Clouseau as they solve the crime. Clouseau thinks he's in charge, Batman and Robin know they are running things despite the act, we know what's really going on and to the rest of the (comic book) world they are working together.

This will allow for the best of both genres. Clouseau's antics will be bumbling and incredibly hilarious enhanced by his own naivete. The Dynamic Duo get to play to their strength of taking on the absurd with the up most seriousness to create their own brand of humor.

Another reason to use Clouseau more frequently than just an popping up a few times is to be able to incorporate other characters from the Panther series. For instance, what better way to star a Batfight than one of Cato's random "training" attacks on Clouseau with whom the Dynamic Duo are accompanying? After the fight Clouseau congratulates Cato on a job well done.
CLOUSEAU: "Zees es Cato. En order tu enseure zat I remain en teep top condi-shean I have enstruc-ked him to attack wizout warning any time any place."
BATMAN: "Um, you're saying that we were attacked by your man servant who - in addition to being a martial arts expert - is named Kato?
ROBIN: "Holy Black Beauty!"
CLOUSEAU: "Tisk, tisk. I see zat yeur power of deduc--shean es not on par wiz zat of my owen. My little yellow friend here es neither black nore a beauty. His job es to keep me on guard et all times. For one never kneows when one will ne attac-ked... (walks behind Cato and chops him on the back of the neck taking him out of the story) HIII-YAH!"

From this point on Clouseau begins to refer to Robin as "My little yellow ca-ped friend."
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

John Mack wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:12 am I'd like to see the original series get done in comic book form. All 120 episodes.
Not all of them, but I would love someone to expand "The Entrancing Dr Cassandra" episode, adding excellent likenesses for the series' six arch villains, and perhaps some subplots and banter featuring them on their crime-spree escapades in the poultry farms, museums, ponds and parks, amusement parks, etc. Also Alfred's attempts to restore the Terrific Trio before his final success.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

The Boss wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:42 am From this point on Clouseau begins to refer to Robin as "My little yellow ca-ped friend."
That's clever. I like it better, I think, if the Inspector only refers to Robin this way... and not his buddy Cato. You could do things in the sixties that you just can't do so offhand today.
- Boy Genius
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Dan E Kool wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:43 am
The Boss wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:42 am From this point on Clouseau begins to refer to Robin as "My little yellow ca-ped friend."
That's clever.
Thanks. :)
I like it better, I think, if the Inspector only refers to Robin this way... and not his buddy Cato. You could do things in the sixties that you just can't do so offhand today.
I considered that but I feel that Clouseau should say it once. Not as a regular reference to Cato as he did in the original films but just single time in a manor such as I posted. The reasons for this are 1) It was such a strong part of the character which helped to showcase his nativity (Clouseau doesn't even get the offensive nature of his comments) that it was even used once in the Steve Martin films (I believe it was Pink Panther 2).
To show their disapproval Batman and Robin could be shown looking at each other with horrified expressions as Clouseau speaks s if to say, "Did he just say that?" and 2) by having Clouseau say the line once (especially if the Dynamic Duo show their disapproval) it makes for a good set up for Clouseau calling Robin, "My little yellow ca-ped friend." thus making it funnier IMO. While the Robin running gag could still be done without the Cato reference I just think it would be funnier with the set up. Especially for fans not familiar with the Pink Panther films. Again, just my opinion.