Haruo Nakajima

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Haruo Nakajima

Post by AndyFish »

I read about this a few days ago, sad to see so many icons passing away. I was reluctant to post this because this off topic area often runs the risk of becoming an Obit section.

He played Godzilla in the first 12 outings, one of the Gargantuas and more for Toho. He was an extremely nice man who appreciated the fans who came out to see him the last few years of his life. I have a big Godzilla poster in my living room signed by him.

It's one thing to have a film crew put electrodes on you so you can be motion captured for todays CGI nonsense, but to wear 50 lb suit under hot lights and sometimes in the water is amazing. I had the opportunity to see some of the original Godzilla suits when I was in Japan last year and you were talking tight uncomfortable quarters.

Yasuraka ni nemuru.
dell

Re: Haruo Nakajima

Post by dell »

After he stopped doing the monster suits the studio kept him on the payroll. He worked at the bowling alley at the studio. Employee and company loyalty!
dell
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

There's something about the old practical effects that still holds up so well, even today. I think part of it is the way the efforts of people like Haruo Nakajima translate onto the screen. He (and the crew) brought Godzilla to life in a way that computer animators still can't, despite their great talents. Maybe that style of film making will come back. If not, we'll always have Nakajima's work to admire. RIP.
- Boy Genius
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

Great guy! Enjoyed meeting him a couple of times.
You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

RIP.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

:( So sad, I am very ashamed I had not gotten around to watching Godzilla until after he passed away.
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"