TO THE BATPOLES podcast #76: A “Wail” of a time with Siren and High C!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #76: A “Wail” of a time with Siren and High C!

Post by bat-rss »

The message board's own High C joins us to talk about his favorite Batman episode, "The Wail of the Siren"! He's done a lot of research on many aspects of the episode, and he shares some of his findings with us, including several versions of the script! Find them linked from the show notes:

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/076-a-w ... and-high-c
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
elmrgraham

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #76: A “Wail” of a time with Siren and High C!

Post by elmrgraham »

Holy Excellent.
High C

Post by High C »

It was a lot of fun to do. I thank Tim and Paul for giving me a forum. I tried to impart as much information as I could as opposed to simply gushing over Joan Collins and her performance, although I certainly could have done that at length too.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Speaking of fop or foppish, David Wayne's Mad Hatter interpretation has been described as such. I also found the attached item from February 1966 about Dozier's Green Hornet casting.
FOPGH.jpg
FOPGH.jpg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 8366 times
The reference to Mike Mazurki's appearance in the Rod Stewart "Infatuation" video didn't mention the woman that Mazurki's character was pursuing. She was played by Kay Lenz who ironically--given the timing of the taping of your podcast--had just gotten divorced from David Cassidy when that video was shot in 1984.

Finally, the mention of Joan Collins usually playing femme fatales reminded me that her character in the Star Trek episode from the previous season was actually a rare "good girl" role for her--playing an ill-fated social worker who looks out for everyone--even a drugged-up Bones McCoy!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

[Desmond Doomsday Voice]Great podcast from the...Terrific Trio??[Desmond Doomsday Voice]

A note about Doctor Dolittle: yes, it was a flop, but Fox still had enough confidence in its producer--Arthur P. Jacobs--to allow him to continue developing the adaptation of Planet of the Apes (he bought the rights to the novel in 1963). So, Jacobs moved from the flop to phenomenon in one year.

Batgirl Theme: So, Willy Mack was Dozier? If so, I wonder why the profit-loving Dozier never tried to release the Batgirl Theme as a single in advance of the season, or in September of '67? Even if it did not chart, 20th Century Fox Records could have released promotional records to announce her addition to the series.

Robin: I always loved Robin threatening to let Siren fall to her death, as it made Robin not so much of a "golly gee" sidekick, reinforcing Benton Bellgoody's observation (from "The Cat's Meow") that Robin has "a little bit of the devil" in him for the threatening tone of Robin's "...and tell her fast." He was, after all, the half of the duo who was always ready for a fight, or promising to deliver a beating (in so many words) while punching his open palm. That's no Jimmy Olsen from the Adventures of Superman, or Beaver Cleaver.

Adam on acting: Odd that Adam West thought the rule of thumb was that it took at least two years to become employable & the public to stop identifying the actor as the character they're recognized for playing. A few actors who moved from one famous role into another in one year:
  • Efrem Zimbalist, Jr moved from the end of 77 Sunset Strip to The F.B.I..
  • Bob Denver's part as Maynard G. Krebs on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (which made him famous) ended in '63, but nothing prevented him from becoming Gilligan in '64.
  • Raymond Burr finished Perry Mason in 1966--the same year he shot the pilot movie for Ironside, which was released--along with the regular series--in 1967.
  • Jack Klugman finished his Odd Couple run in 1975, and started Quincy, M.E. in 1976.
  • Michael Landon remained with the long-running Bonanza right up to its 1973 cancellation, and jumped into Little House on the Prairie in 1974.
One could argue Burr, Denver, Landon and Klugman were just as recognized in roles as iconic to TV audiences as Batman, but they effortlessly moved into (what would become) other famous characters in less than the two year rule of thumb West referred to. I think the one and only barrier to West moving on was playing--as he put it--a cartoon character. You could be a sloppy sportswriter on one show and transform into a believable medical examiner overnight because that type of character is simply not disrespected in the way a guy in tights would be. He had to know that, since he had George Reeves as an example of that comic book typecasting problem.

Perhaps he was not being completely honest about what was he thought was around the corner.

Music: I thought May's music (as the duo slide down into the Batcave) was one of the best pieces of his work on the series, as it had a sense of urgency and at least had an identity of its own, instead of trying to mimic Riddle or be generic action cue.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

So am I alone in loving the Batgirl theme, then?

♪ BAT GUUUUURRRRRRL, BATGIRL! ♪

In a show that prided itself in being so "aware," the Batgirl theme is so very beautifully naive in its campiness that I can't help but love it. There's lots of stuff like that in Season 3.

Speaking of stuff I like (lame segue), I thought that having High C on the show for the Siren episode was great! What a fountain of Joan Collins-related knowledge! But then, I guess they don't call this place "All-seeing, All-knowing" for nothin'! ;)
- Boy Genius
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Another enjoyable episode and discussion. It was also great to put a voice to name, High C!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 pm One could argue Burr, Denver, Landon and Klugman were just as recognized in roles as iconic to TV audiences as Batman, but they effortlessly moved into (what would become) other famous characters in less than the two year rule of thumb West referred to. I think the one and only barrier to West moving on was playing--as he put it--a cartoon character. You could be a sloppy sportswriter on one show and transform into a believable medical examiner overnight because that type of character is simply not disrespected in the way a guy in tights would be. He had to know that, since he had George Reeves as an example of that comic book typecasting problem.
Yeah, when the role you're trying to put behind you is such a flashy, cartoony role, it's much harder than putting Joe Cartwright or Oscar Madison (or, for Gavin MacLeod, Murray Slaughter) behind you. It takes a singular talent to overcome that kind of role (e.g. Robin Williams, who somehow managed to make everyone forget Mork from Ork).
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I think the Batgirl theme tells us how the producers thought of the character. Can you imagine if there was a Batman theme with lyrics about the character. It would be different. It would about his crime fighting skills and the villains he faces not about who he might be dating.

I used think it was a plot hole that Barbara jumps to the conclusion Lorelei Circe might be the Siren and have her father. Thinking about it, she did meet the Siren in the Riddler episode. And it is sort of a rule on the show that if your name connects to a villain your probably involved. So investigating Lorelei Circe makes sense.

Apparently she never told Batman or the police about Siren because Batman has apparently never heard of the Siren when Batgirl tells him about her. That seems like a pretty big omission. It might have been interesting if Batgirl had been investigating on her own to try and prove herself before the events of this episode.
High C

Post by High C »

Dan E Kool wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:37 am
Speaking of stuff I like (lame segue), I thought that having High C on the show for the Siren episode was great! What a fountain of Joan Collins-related knowledge! But then, I guess they don't call this place "All-seeing, All-knowing" for nothin'! ;)
Thanks for the kind words! Believe me, I had more Joan-related info I could have imparted, but nobody wants a four-hour podcast!

Admittedly, I hate the Batgirl theme too, not just because the lyrics were lame and sexist, but because it cut down Joan Collins' screen time.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
High C

Post by High C »

Ben Bentley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:26 pm Another enjoyable episode and discussion. It was also great to put a voice to name, High C!
Thanks, Ben! I'm enjoying your season 3 cliffhangers very much, especially the Siren one, obviously. 8-)

Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

High C wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:38 am Thanks for the kind words! Believe me, I had more Joan-related info I could have imparted, but nobody wants a four-hour podcast!
Speak for yourself! :D
- Boy Genius
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

SRR and Anthony Newley reunited for a musical about Charlie Chaplin that apparently never made the intended destination of Broadway:
Newley1985.jpg
Newley1985.jpg (75.77 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Dan E Kool wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:34 am
High C wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:38 am Thanks for the kind words! Believe me, I had more Joan-related info I could have imparted, but nobody wants a four-hour podcast!
Speak for yourself! :D
That would cost us more for the additional server space! Patreon.com/deconcomics, folks! ;)
High C

Post by High C »

FWIW, Two things I should have mentioned on the podcast:
1--There could have been more character development of Siren/Lorelei Circe if not for the Batgirl song. Siren said in the filmed-but-cut scene she was making $5K a show, but was bored with it.
2--Another clue to a potential return appearance is the fact Billy May composed a Siren theme that wasn't used for any other season 3 villain, and in fact, wasn't used period after Wail. The theme was used twice in Ring and once in Wail.