Script: THE JOKER GOES TO SCHOOL, first draft

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Script: THE JOKER GOES TO SCHOOL, first draft

Post by bat-rss »

Here's our next script, for The Joker Goes to School!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/74grpvumezs7u ... 5.pdf?dl=0

Expecting to record our talk about this in mid- to late January, and will as usual include some comments from the thread in our discussion.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Dan E Kool

Re: Script: THE JOKER GOES TO SCHOOL, first draft

Post by Dan E Kool »

Hooray! Thanks, Tim! What a weird coincidence that I requested this very script the first time you and Paul discussed "Pop Goes The Joker" and now as you examine that script, this script is up for review. Pretty neat.

This is my very favorite episode of the entire series. I've watched it more than any other. Over all of those viewings, one little scene kept bothering me, though. Here's what I wrote when I originally requested the script:
Dan E Kool wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:01 amWhen you're looking through the scripts, there's one question I have for 'He meets his match, the grisly ghoul.' That's a Joker episode, number 16. The Dynamic Duo is saved from electrical execution by a rolling blackout and they race to Police Headquarters. There they tell the Commissioner that the Batcave is unaffected by the blackout, thanks to anti-crime back-up power. But when we see them in the Batcave seconds later, Dozier narrates that it is now MORNING (Hallelujah!) and the city power is back online! Was this a mistake that no one caught, or something someone actually added in?
Dan E Kool wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:47 am If the Dynamic Duo has been working all night, why not mention it in the narration? Wouldn't those hours of sleepless work be worth a line from Doomsday? The way the line is, it sounds like the night passed and the Duo basically waited for power to return (Hallelujah and all). Had Doomsday said nothing at all, it would be obvious to the viewer that Batman is doing exactly what he said he would in the previous scene - working with the Batcave reserve power. With the line as-is, we have hours unaccounted for and a wasted joke. IMO.
And now I finally have my answer! There wasn't any backup power in the first draft at all! Batman and Robin really did wait all night for the power to return! I have no idea why this is so exciting to me, but Tim, you just made my week! :D

Happy Bat Holidays!
- Boy Genius
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

By coincidence of them talking about this script Donna Loren will be on Stu's Show on January 24 at 9 PM. It is now a TV show so you can see how Donna looks today. It is at WWW.STUSSHOW.COM or on Stu's Show Facebook page. The show is also on Roku. You can email questions to her at COMMENTS@STUSSHOW.COM He usually gets all the e-mails in and you can start sending now if you want to. I am not affiliated with the show other than being a Patreon supporter.

Here is the shows description:
January 24, 2018 - Singer/actress DONNA LOREN (The Dr. Pepper Girl of the 1960s) returns to the show to discuss her excellent new scrapbook, "Pop Sixties", which charts her career as both an actress in the beach blanket movies, in TV guest appearances on "Batman", "Gomer Pyle", and "Dr. Kildare", and her whirlwind singing career on "American Bandstand", "Hollywood A-Go-Go", "Shindig!", and of course, in all those soft drink commercials...and why she gave it all up at the end of the decade.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Until I read the script, I never noticed that the deathtrap moving van said "John Doe & Sons," on the sides. or that the truck could be seen in the background of Joker's hideout. Now I can't stop noticing it -- and it bugs me that it's still there in part two, after the gang abandoned it.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

In case you didn't hear the announcement I put out in our feed recently, due to Paul's hectic life right now, we're taking time off from the podcast. Will post here again when we have some idea when we'll be recording our episode about this script -- no sooner than March, I'm guessing. :(
High C

Post by High C »

I'm sorry to hear about this. All the best to Paul and his family.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

That's a bummer! Hope everything works out OK.
- Boy Genius
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

bat-rss wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 am In case you didn't hear the announcement I put out in our feed recently, due to Paul's hectic life right now, we're taking time off from the podcast. Will post here again when we have some idea when we'll be recording our episode about this script -- no sooner than March, I'm guessing. :(
I hope everything works out for Paul! You're some of the most generous batfans out there and that's appreciated. Again, what's important is family and working things out, so I hope all goes well for him. Take care.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am
bat-rss wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 am In case you didn't hear the announcement I put out in our feed recently, due to Paul's hectic life right now, we're taking time off from the podcast. Will post here again when we have some idea when we'll be recording our episode about this script -- no sooner than March, I'm guessing. :(
I hope everything works out for Paul! You're some of the most generous batfans out there and that's appreciated. Again, what's important is family and working things out, so I hope all goes well for him. Take care.
Thanks! He's just swamped right now but it won't last forever. I'm really missing doing the podcast -- can't wait to get back into it!
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:20 am
robinboyblunderer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am
bat-rss wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 am
Thanks! He's just swamped right now but it won't last forever.
Good.
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Hey guys,

I'm glad you're back. I finally took the time to start reading this script. It's pretty close to what was broadcast. I notice how tight the writing is and how the principal's name was changed from Wilberforce to Shoolfield. I only noticed one instance where this change was not corrected. The other change I noticed was the editor noted Gotham City's mayor is not elected annually.

That's about it for part one apart from learning the names and roles of the other members of Woodrow Roosevelt High's student council.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Was there a place in the show where he was called Wilberforce?

By the way, please get your comments in here by March 21 to ensure we'll have them when we record this episode!

And you're right, it's probably the closest to what was filmed of any script we've discussed so far. Maybe not as much to talk about. Fortunately, we have an interview with a certain "gorgeous... hunk of cheerleader" to fill out the episode! ;)
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Hey guys,

The Wilburforce / Schoolfield correction I mentioned did not take place in the show, but I noticed the change was not noted once in the script.

Keep it up. It's lots of fun.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!