Hollywood Walk of Fame/Neil Hamilton

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Keith Mayo

Hollywood Walk of Fame/Neil Hamilton

Post by Keith Mayo »

Trying to find out when Neil Hamilton got his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
robinboyblunderer

Re: Hollywood Walk of Fame/Neil Hamilton

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I think the hollywood walk of fame is one of the most overrated stupid things I've ever seen. Dingy streets with a star and a name. Having heard so much about it my whole life, the first time I was in LA I was unimpressed. This is it? This is the walk of fame? Watching some litter blow across a star with some actor's name. I just don't get it.

It's nothing special in my opinion.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Per this Wikipedia timeline, Neil was inducted in 1960, at the age of 61.

When we visited Hollywood last year, Neil's was the first star I saw from a Batman cast member. I saw Adam's soon afterward and hastily decided to "collect" bat-stars' stars with my phone, so I ran back to grab Neil's before continuing.

WalkOfFame - 1 (1).jpg
WalkOfFame - 1 (1).jpg (84.72 KiB) Viewed 8412 times

The best part of the neighborhood was a huge farmer's market going on that day, but wandering around, grabbing a few cheesy souvenirs (including the first-ever personalized item I've found bearing the name of my daughter, Bailey) and looking for bat-cast members' stars was a fun way to kill a few hours -- after which we drove up to Bronson Caves.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Looking into this question sent me down a rabbit hole, which led to this IMDB page, listing all of the Walk of Fame inductees for 1960. I thought the WoF was much older, but it turns out 1960 was its inaugural year -- the official unveiling was evidently Feb. 8 (exactly 58 years ago today, as I type this!). That year's "class" was huge, dating back to the silent era.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The problem with the current WOF is that you literally have to pay ($30,000, I think) to be honored, so conceivably anyone with a few credits can receive this "accolade." Usually, this cost is paid by the agency or some other entity representing the "star."

Neil was part of that inaugural and seemingly never-ending 1960 class. At least three Batman villains were also in the group: Cesar Romero, George Sanders and Ida Lupino.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 pm I think the hollywood walk of fame is one of the most overrated stupid things I've ever seen. Dingy streets with a star and a name. Having heard so much about it my whole life, the first time I was in LA I was unimpressed. This is it? This is the walk of fame? Watching some litter blow across a star with some actor's name. I just don't get it.

Pretty much sums up my opinion of Hollywood and celebrities in general. Adam West was truly a giant because he was actually a very decent man, even behind the scenes. Rare in Hollywood.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

NeilHamiltonWalk.jpg
NeilHamiltonWalk.jpg (14.63 KiB) Viewed 8318 times
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:11 pm NeilHamiltonWalk.jpg
That's an awesome candid snap, AP!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

AndyFish wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36 am
robinboyblunderer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 pm I think the hollywood walk of fame is one of the most overrated stupid things I've ever seen. Dingy streets with a star and a name. Having heard so much about it my whole life, the first time I was in LA I was unimpressed. This is it? This is the walk of fame? Watching some litter blow across a star with some actor's name. I just don't get it.

Pretty much sums up my opinion of Hollywood and celebrities in general. Adam West was truly a giant because he was actually a very decent man, even behind the scenes. Rare in Hollywood.
I echo Andy's opinion in spades. Today's entire "entertainment" scene (comics, film, TV, music, etc.) to me is now a joke. I want entertainment - not realism and/or messages. As the great David Lee Roth once said - "If you want to send a message use Western Union."

Now, as for the star, does anyone think Mr. Hamilton had to neil for photos with his? (Anybody see what I did there? Anybody? Hey, where did everybody go? :lol: )
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Yellow Oval wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:34 pm
AndyFish wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36 am

I echo Andy's opinion in spades. Today's entire "entertainment" scene (comics, film, TV, music, etc.) to me is now a joke. I want entertainment - not realism and/or messages. As the great David Lee Roth once said - "If you want to send a message use Western Union."

Now, as for the star, does anyone think Mr. Hamilton had to neil for photos with his? (Anybody see what I did there? Anybody? Hey, where did everybody go? :lol: )
We saw it now we want to unsee it! :)
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

The times I have visited LA and Hollywood, it's been a sojourn for sure. We visted this comic book store called the Golden Apple and to our dismay, it was nothing more than a broom closet in size and had less for sale than the broom closets in AZ. The walk of fame was filthy and not worth the bother being begged for money about every 100 feet. The one thing I did enjoy was the Tower Records that was there (which is now gone.) Not a place for high expectations.
Music. BAT! Music.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

In addition to hearing everyone's opinion on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, can anyone answer my question?
WHEN did Mr. Hamilton get his star?
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:11 pm NeilHamiltonWalk.jpg
That's the photo that got me to wondering about the date. Someone asked me if I'd seen any photos of Mr. Hamilton taken AFTER the tv show was canceled. While researching that question I found that photo.
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

This thread reminded me of The Kinks “Celluloid Heroes"
https://youtu.be/yp_QkUVZGPc

FYI, The Kinks recorded a version of the Batman theme on their 1968 LP “Live At Kelvin Hall”.
rajung

Post by rajung »

I think 02/08/1960 @age 61