Yvonne Craig in The Magician, 1973

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jim K, Bat fan

Yvonne Craig in The Magician, 1973

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

I recently picked up the DVD release of The Magician, a one season only 1973 TV series starring Bill Bixby.

Much to my surprise Yvonne turned up as a doctor in an episode called "The Man Who Lost Himself." I always enjoy seeing the cast as they appeared after Batman ended. Here are a couple of screen captures:
yvonne.magician.2.jpg
yvonne.magician.1.jpg
maniac cop 5

Re: Yvonne Craig in The Magician, 1973

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Used to love that show.
She was always a stunner in every role.
Miss her and also miss Bixby SO much. He brought so much to every character he portrayed and was gone far too soon.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Didn't Yvonne and Bill date at some point?
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I loved that show as a youngster! Crimefighter, rich guy, magician, what's not to love? That was a combo not beaten until Steve Austin came along: daring test pilot, celebrity astronaut, secret agent and superhero all at once. :lol:

Aside from a few of the magic tricks, the thing I always remember about Bixby in this is that he had a working phone in his car. And yes, I know Batman beat him to it, but in the early 70s, they were real and terrifically expensive (and if memory serves, the supporting hardware took up most of your trunk). I was very impressed.

When "the X-Files" showed up, I immediately bonded with Fox Mulder because he'd watched "The Magician" as a kid, too: it was gone so fast, I thought I was the only one who remembered it. (Happily my memories of it were less traumatic than Mulder's).

Thanks for clueing me in that it's available on DVD. I'm definitely going to have to check it out. Or maybe I should ask first: how does it hold up after all these years?
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Loved the theme song, it was very dynamic. I miss that in today's television themes.

--jthree
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Car phones ruled!
Joe Mannix had one built into his car's armrest back in '68.
Doesn't get much cooler than that!
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

SprangFan wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 am Thanks for clueing me in that it's available on DVD. I'm definitely going to have to check it out. Or maybe I should ask first: how does it hold up after all these years?
VEI put it out a few months ago - it was also a big favorite or mine as a kid!

https://www.visualentertainment.tv/

My wife enjoys watching it with me - it harkens back to a simpler time for me. Each show runs about 50 minutes, so suspect a minute or two has been edited out - but the episode flow holds up. Only in one episode did I feel something was missing. I don't recall the series very well, but the episodes have held our interest. They can be a bit corny, but it seems like Tony Blake gets involved in a "personal" story - something he is pulled into by chance, so that's an interesting approach. He does have his car phone - and his personal airplane! I understand later in the run that changed some of the characters, but I haven't gotten that far yet.
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

yes YVONNE & BILL dated i believe early 60s ?? so BATGIRL & HULK were once an item :)