1966 Batman Funko/Pez Coming

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
BatMite

1966 Batman Funko/Pez Coming

Post by BatMite »

Looks like only Batman so far. I'd prefer a true non-Funko Pez, but this'll do...

http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/17/funko-pez-hanna-barbera/
TBolt

Re: 1966 Batman Funko/Pez Coming

Post by TBolt »

when is the whole Pop style going to die?
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Yep, I just saw the Batman Pez. It's that dopey bubble head Pop version that just won't go away! It's taking A LOT now to get my attention and impress me enough to add to my collection and that's talking Batman 1966 or any so-called 'Batman' item. There's so much I ignore now it's not funny. Things are drying out in collectorland. The only investments I've made in recent memory are FTC's 12-inch white suit Evel Knievel (always loved that costume and helmet) and a blanket throw based on an Evel Knievel ad that appeared in '70s comics.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

TBolt wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 pm when is the whole Pop style going to die?
When people stop buying them. I swear, people will buy that big headed stuff just because it's "supposed" to be a character they like. I like Dr. Manhattan from the Watchmen, but I ain't buying this:
Attachments
61mxAkcQdoL._SX355_.jpg
61mxAkcQdoL._SX355_.jpg (25.1 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Yellow Oval wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:06 pm Yep, I just saw the Batman Pez. It's that dopey bubble head Pop version that just won't go away! It's taking A LOT now to get my attention and impress me enough to add to my collection and that's talking Batman 1966 or any so-called 'Batman' item. There's so much I ignore now it's not funny. Things are drying out in collectorland. The only investments I've made in recent memory are FTC's 12-inch white suit Evel Knievel (always loved that costume and helmet) and a blanket throw based on an Evel Knievel ad that appeared in '70s comics.
In 1974, I had my parents searching all over the place for the Ideal Evel Knievel stunt cycle for Christmas. It was under the tree. My first "launch" of the cycle, it landed on it's side and broke the handle bars off. They were made of hard plastic. Today, I'm sure they would have used rubber.
Btw, it retailed for $9.99. Later in life, my mom told me my dad answered an ad that some woman had placed. She hoarded about 50 of them, and she sold them for $30 each. Oh...my Evel figure rode without the handle bars for years lol
Attachments
526693719b20c3cfe6f3ff93cd5f80c7.jpg
Music. BAT! Music.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

John,

Thanks for that Evel image. It's visual poetry in motion and brings back memories of Christmas '73 when I got both the bike set and the scramble van. I remember staring at that bike set box for something like 10 minutes before my mom asked if I was going to even open it. I still love the artwork and would love to have a poster on the wall of that image. I still say he was the only living superhero we have seen with the costume and death-defying stunts (only 16 wipeouts in 75 jumps but I'm sure each wipeout felt quite important to him at the time). We'll never see that again mainly because he was the first well-known stuntman and quite the showman.

As for the Funko Pops, why do they all look like they haven't had a good sneeze in 10 - 15 years?
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

What happened with these? (photo dated 2010)
Attachments
funko batman pez.jpg
funko batman pez.jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
rajung

Post by rajung »

I am confused and just speaking for myself while thinking about these fathead style Pez things.
So many 66 related items of late get bashed and criticized due to being not accurate or shoddy craftsmanship, and I am one of them, most of the items other than from a very few, we all know who they are.
That other stuff is just junk with no likeness what so ever but yet they still get mass market sales.
Has to be the $9.99 price tag and say " Batman" keeping it going with someones parents or grandparents buying as a gift with no clue about the origin or what they even look like. If it has a big head " I think they will like it because I know no better"
No rolling wheels were a big issue for licensing on the Batmobiles but this stuff is fine?
After some more thought, I think it boils down to what looks cute on the shelf in the eyes of a child without regard to the more "serious" if you will ,appeal.