Joss Whedon out as Batgirl director

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

gothosmansion

Joss Whedon out as Batgirl director

Post by gothosmansion »

John Mack

Re: Joss Whedon out as Batgirl director

Post by John Mack »

How do I put this......

Good.😀
Music. BAT! Music.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Bummer. I was really looking forward to his take on a WB project and not just being brought in to a bad situation and trying to "fix" it.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

There's 101 ways to read this turn of events, none of which are "good".
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

My opinion they should just ditch the interconnected universe and just tell a fun Batgirl tale. Pick out a good rogues gallery villain or two to contrast her with, do the whole hectored young woman who's kinda nerdy, kinda cool, very conscientious as Barbara balanced against her responsibility as a superhero. Have her use her ingenuity in the end not just a kick or a punch or something to win the day at the end. Keep it light, fun with a touch of drama and seriousness.

I'm not even a fan of Batgirl but it should be like the female version of a Spider-Man movie with less angst.

Keep it fun.

As for Whedon, regardless of what one thinks of his work (I generally like it to love it to a point) the Avengers is a tightly plotted movie with well balanced humor and drama, everything pays off and is the first successful superhero team up movie.

I think he could've done a good Batgirl movie.
robinboyblunderer

I meant to say, they should just ditch the whole continuity between movies, who cares. Just tell individual good movies with the characters, in other words go in the other way from Marvel. Every so often have them team up. Embrace the brightness of the characters but let them have their own movies.

And ditch Lex Luthor for a good long while. I guess that's a whole other topic of how they didn't know what to do with Superman.
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

I connected with the Batman universe since the tv show debuted in 1966 and have watched all the various movies since.

Batman vs Superman was such a disappointment that I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to actually go to a cinema and watch the follow up, Justice League.

Co-incidentally I finally got round to watching it last night and found it to be a complete mess. It literally beggars belief that hundreds of millions of dollars were thrown at it.

It therefore comes as no surprise that people at WB are running around like headless chickens.
Get the next two films (Aquaman and Wonder Woman) out of the way then have a complete clearout.

Then... back to drawing board and start from scratch.
robinboyblunderer

Lounge lizard wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:23 am

Batman vs Superman was such a disappointment
I knew it was going to be bad but went because a friend wanted to. Spoilers (if anyone cares) for Batman V. Superman...one of the worst moments in a movie is the reveal that Lex Luthor urinated in a jar, labeled it "lemonade" and had it delivered to that judge. Runner up would be Jimmy Olsen killed a few seconds before Superman's arrival. Despite the clamor of the Doomsday fight I couldn't take it anymore and fell asleep for a few blissful minutes.

I didn't like 300 but that looks like a good movie in comparison to whatever this was.

You know, it was the director wanting dessert before the meal. The Dark Knight Returns works because it built on the history of the character, there was an established context. There really isn't an equivalent for Batman in movies, let alone Superman, so it was a mistake to start off with an older Bruce Wayne who fighting Superman.

Why would they be fighting? Why can't they just have a competent Batman in his prime? Rushing to poorly adapt the Dark Knight Returns was skipping the meal for dessert. No, it was smashing a hot fudge sundae on prime rib and sitting down to eat.

I also skipped Justice League, decided I wasn't going to sit through another terrible movie despite who wants to go see it.

If one wants to see a good version of Justice Leauge, check out the cartoons from the 2000s. They weren't all good but they definitely have some high points and most of all, tell a coherent story, taking the time to develop the characters and with plots that make sense.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I think WB is eager to escape the taint of Justice League and Whedon was too close to escape unscathed. Also, after all the feel-good press around Wonder Woman, there may be a push to get a female director for this.

Personally I don't know if there's a way to make Batgirl work independent of Batman, and no one seems to know right now what kind of Batman they want in the DCU, or who will play him. (Yes, I know they're not "partners," I just mean Batgirl has always been a character who only exists because there's a Batman to inspire her. That's as deep or profound as her origin is: "I wanna be like that guy." )

In other words, Batgirl only works in a larger "DC Universe" and right now that's in tatters. I had hope "Shazam" could work as a stand-alone concept that doesn't need a shared universe and indeed works better outside of one. But now I hear they may be trying to shoe-horn Superman into the plot, so I despair for that one as well.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
robinboyblunderer

I think any character can work with good writing. Maybe Batman saved her life as a teen and she was inspired by him, Gordon made sure his daughter could protect herself with martial arts training etc. when she was growing up. When older she sees some level of corruption in her area and decides to become Batgirl. People want to have a good time at these movies, forget building up to Darkseid, just adapt some stories from the comics, compensate the creators who made them and release a fun movie. My opinion anyway.

cheers
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

If WB/DC bases the character on the current version in the comics than this film will, like all the others (except WW), tank at the box office no matter who writes, produces, or directs. WB/DC are such a complete lost cause now. A perfect example of an exercise in incompetence if there ever was one.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I think any character can work with good writing.
Agreed. Unfortunately, this is a DCEU movie, so that seems unlikely.

I think they should focus on characters with no ties to Batman, tempting as it must be to double down on the one property that's consistently worked for them. They need to prove they can create something greater than "the Batman Extended Universe", and right now I'm not even sure a BEU is possible with no plan for who's playing Batman, or with what approach.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

for the record it was labeled Granny's Peach Tea and it was left for Senator Finch. I got the impression that Jimmy Olsen was a cover for the CIA agent(or whomever he was working for), and not his actual name. The real character may still exist.
robinboyblunderer wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:31 am
Lounge lizard wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:23 am

Batman vs Superman was such a disappointment
I knew it was going to be bad but went because a friend wanted to. Spoilers (if anyone cares) for Batman V. Superman...one of the worst moments in a movie is the reveal that Lex Luthor urinated in a jar, labeled it "lemonade" and had it delivered to that judge. Runner up would be Jimmy Olsen killed a few seconds before Superman's arrival. Despite the clamor of the Doomsday fight I couldn't take it anymore and fell asleep for a few blissful minutes.

I didn't like 300 but that looks like a good movie in comparison to whatever this was.

You know, it was the director wanting dessert before the meal. The Dark Knight Returns works because it built on the history of the character, there was an established context. There really isn't an equivalent for Batman in movies, let alone Superman, so it was a mistake to start off with an older Bruce Wayne who fighting Superman.

Why would they be fighting? Why can't they just have a competent Batman in his prime? Rushing to poorly adapt the Dark Knight Returns was skipping the meal for dessert. No, it was smashing a hot fudge sundae on prime rib and sitting down to eat.

I also skipped Justice League, decided I wasn't going to sit through another terrible movie despite who wants to go see it.

If one wants to see a good version of Justice Leauge, check out the cartoons from the 2000s. They weren't all good but they definitely have some high points and most of all, tell a coherent story, taking the time to develop the characters and with plots that make sense.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Yellow Oval wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:29 pm If WB/DC bases the character on the current version in the comics than this film will, like all the others (except WW), tank at the box office no matter who writes, produces, or directs. WB/DC are such a complete lost cause now. A perfect example of an exercise in incompetence if there ever was one.
Hardly tanking. The DCEU has earned nearly 4 billion at the box office, and Wonder Woman certainly is not responsible for all of that.
Beneath Wayne Manor
robinboyblunderer

TBolt wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:10 am for the record it was labeled Granny's Peach Tea and it was left for Senator Finch. I got the impression that Jimmy Olsen was a cover for the CIA agent(or whomever he was working for), and not his actual name. The real character may still exist.
It doesn't even make sense. Why make Jimmy Olsen a government agent? What does one gain from that? And if it's some amazing concept why kill him off so quickly? And if there's another Jimmy Olsen...it's so pointlessly convoluted. It's like if Commissioner Gordon was also a robot.

Simple is usually better. The Superman movies are a whole other topic though.