Bat Library Completed

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
elmrgraham

Re: Bat Library Completed

Post by elmrgraham »

Holy Excellent.
tenderheart bear

Post by tenderheart bear »

Blue Meanie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:26 pm
Big Daddy K wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:22 pm
John Mack wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Ok, but the book is 95% 1966 stuff.
John, we've discussed this before and I don't mean to sound rude but you and I have different ideas as to what "1966 Batman items" are. To you it apparently means anything Batman related that came out in the 60's. To me it means items that depict the tv characters played by Adam West and Burt Ward. I was around in the 60's and am familiar with all the items available at that time, but they were not what I consider related to the show. Heck, I had most of the stuff folks collect today.Here's what I'm saying:

THe Corgi Batmobiles, Batcopters and Batboats didn't look like what was seen on the tv show/movie.

The Batman and Robin items were like the Infantino New Look comics and not like the show. Different colored Batsuit, different chest emblem and different Utility Belt, ect.

I'm not putting down what most everyone else collects, I'm just saying that to me if it doesn't match what was on the tv show/movie it's not "66 Batman" but rather 1960's Batman. I see those as two differnt things.

I hope I've communicated this properly and haven't ruffled any feathers.
I certainly respect your opinion as collecting Batman (or most things for that matter) can be a slippery slope, but the Corgi Batmobile is off limits to you? Sure it's not 100% screen accurate, but one can not see it and not think of the Adam West / Burt Ward Batman 1966-1968 TV show.

I do like your collection though.

Cheers.
8-)
There's no doubt that the Corgi and Corgi jr. (as well as Husky) Batmobile and Batboat are from the '66 show/movie. The boat is black I grant you, but unquestionably the right design. Any Batcopter or Batbike from Corgi used existing moulds or was just a new design.

No '66 Batman collection is complete without the Corgi Batmobile IMO.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I agree about the Corgi but I think it shows some good restraint that he's focusing solely on Batman and Robin from the show.
One man's must have is another man's pass.
I'd love to see Corgi do a reissue with flaws and all to make it stand out for all the other similar scale Batmobiles that have been released in the past few years.
tenderheart bear

Well if Big Daddy isn't collecting '66 Batmobiles then that's cool. But if he does, then discounting the Corgi release because it isn't screen accurate seems a bit strong. Especially if it's because the figures don't match the colour scheme of the show.

Still, back to the original point. It's a great looking set of books, and although I own it, I don't keep the Batman Collected book by Chip Kidd with my '66 Batman items.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

tenderheart bear wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:48 am Well if Big Daddy isn't collecting '66 Batmobiles then that's cool. But if he does, then discounting the Corgi release because it isn't screen accurate seems a bit strong. Especially if it's because the figures don't match the colour scheme of the show.
It all comes down to my personal choice. I know many collectors who are "picky" in their collecting choices.

One has every Batman movie (including the serials from the 40's) but he does not own "Batman & Robin" staring George Clooney.

Another guy only collects 1960's Batman items that come from Mexico and/or South America.

For me, I only collect items that capture what was in the Batman Tv Show. Partially because that's what I like and partially due to having a fixed disability income. I didn't like the Corgis as a kid and I don't care for them now but I wouldn't cast asperrsions on folks who do collect them. That's their personal choice. Also keep in mind that there's one less guy out there collecting Corgis so that leaves more for you.! :-)
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
tenderheart bear

I still have my Corgi from when I was about 6, so I've owned it nearly 40 years. I still love the Corgi version, but maybe it's because I loved it as a child. I love the Mego Batmobile too, as technically rubbish as it is.

I'm a bit like you I guess. I like collecting '66 Batman stuff, but I won't buy something just because it has the logo on it. I stick mainly with Batman and Robin, with Batgirl and Joker if I like the item enough.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

So you mean to say you wouldn't pull the trigger on THIS? 🤣
https://m.ebay.com/itm/ANDREI-PALMER-19 ... mwBanner=1
tenderheart bear

Big Daddy K wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:39 pm So you mean to say you wouldn't pull the trigger on THIS? 🤣
https://m.ebay.com/itm/ANDREI-PALMER-19 ... mwBanner=1
Oh dear.

It makes the Corgi look like an exact scale replica. Still, top marks for effort.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Big Daddy K wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:02 pm Finally have my Bat Library together.
Thanks to all (especially AndyFish) for the guideance in deciding which books and mags to snag.
Updated. Not pictured are the revised edition of The Official Batbook, 14 Miles to Gotham City and The Caped Crusade (Batman and the rise of Nerd Culture). Building a bigger book rack to fit them all into.
Attachments
32525887_2244324295594250_493306706529353728_n.jpg
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Just finished reading these two books and can't say enough good things about them. Highly recommended.
Attachments
31490854_2221984314494915_6774623920831070208_o.jpg
the-caped-crusade-9781476756691_hr.jpg
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Got the bigger book rack finished today. Tomorrow I'll slap on the poly and then it will be ready to load. This one is 40" wide and I won't have books on top of each other any more.
Attachments
IMG_20180518_151048_930.jpg
IMG_20180518_151048_932.jpg
IMG_20180518_151048_931.jpg
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Here it is completed and loaded up.
Attachments
33146708_2248584961834850_6430144307918798848_n.jpg
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Cool collection and cool shelf.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Thanks. Made it with my best friend who went to high school with my mother.
Yeah, I know. The math is weird. :-)
tenderheart bear

That's the thing with collections, it's not just the products, it's buying cabinets and so on to display it in. I just spent over £300 on a new display unit for my '66 Batman collection. Worth it though.

Love your book display. The only book I have is the one you've got top right, but i've got most of the DVDs/Blu-rays.