What Else Interests You...?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

What Else Interests You...?

Post by AndyFish »

We all come here because we have an appreciation of Batman, but what else fills your days? Let's take this thread and introduce ourselves a little bit more.

Me?

- My wife and I travel a lot-- and we are "foodies" so we like to try new places to eat. You probably won't find us at a chain restaurant. We're also having a blast exploring recipes at home.

- When we moved to our new house in the suburbs it was interesting to find a self defense club nearby. I already had extensive training in Line and Krav Maga but this place offers Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which I've always been interested in (my brother is a fifth degree black belt in the practice, and he lives in Japan). Great exercise.

- My wife and I also like running and cycling when the weather permits.

- She has recently joined me in my love of all things firearms and she's becoming quite a sharpshooter and is even going for her license to carry very soon. We have several target ranges in our area and its a great stress reliever.

- I like to read but it's mostly non fiction, I do have a soft spot for Hard Boiled detective type stuff-- Raymond Chandler is my favorite author.

- I don't read modern comics, I think the vast majority are pretty dull, but I love the old ones from the 30s and 40's. I have a smattering of those in a collection (Including a Batman #2) and a few other comics from the silver to the bronze age.

- We've climbed some mountains, we've done skydiving and we got to try out bobsledding this winter and it was a blast.

- Vintage Indian Motorcycles are my new obsession.

How about the rest of you?
elmrgraham

Re: What Else Interests You...?

Post by elmrgraham »

News,Politics,American Football,American Baseball,American College Basketball,American High School Basketball,American High School Football,and Reading.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Also,walking too.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Some traveling too.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Bonsai trees, Da Cubs!! Turtle Pond, hurricane survival (5 so far), custom Mego and 9 inch figures.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Also,listening to Classic Rock and Oldies music.I am showing my age.LOL!!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Munsters, Universal Monsters, Lost In Space, Three Stooges (before Joe)
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Vintage GIjOE, Swing Big Bands and Australian Dwarf Tossing.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Star trek, Vintage toys, The avengers (the British spies not the superheros!), universal monsters, MEGO!!!! As you can see im a fan of practically anything in the '60s and 70s'! ive also been writing some star trek books recently, nothing professional, definitely not gonna get published, just something to do for fun!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Here's a few things:

Writing. Playing guitar, used to get together informally with people at a bar, playing a mix of improvs and covers, quite a lot of fun. Working out six days a week. Eating healthy and avoiding sugar and carbs, the former does quite the number on one's state of mind. A bit of biking on local trails. Art galleries. Reading. Comic books/graphic novels.
dell

Post by dell »

Woodworking, restoring a B-17 that will fly one day, photography, travel, board games and New Zealand dwarf tossing. OK, one of those things is made up.
dell
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

dell wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:18 am Woodworking, restoring a B-17 that will fly one day, photography, travel, board games and New Zealand dwarf tossing. OK, one of those things is made up.
I hope it's NOT dwarf tossing! Soon to be an Olympic event.

Ditto the love of British Avengers and Mego's.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I'll second the "foodie" thing. Always on the lookout for new food experiences and hate chains. Also, all three of my kids have food allergies, so we have to get creative with recipes and cook with all "original" ingredients (nothing processed, pre-mixed or with ingredient names that would tongue-tie a Chemistry PhD).

Enjoy writing on a freelance basis, reading history, non-fiction and the rare novel (even then usually with a historical angle), BSA outings as an Asst Scoutmaster, drawing and (less often) painting and travel. Hoping to get into sailing soon.

"Fan" interests include Star Trek (TOS), Avengers (UK), James Bond (vintage), comics up to about 1985 or so, "hero" pulps, Beatles, swing-era jazz, Errol Flynn films, anything Houdini.

The Kiwi and Aussie dwarf population is sparse in these parts, but if I find any and they're up for it, I'm willing to give bowling a try.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

Besides Batman, I really love Charlie’s Angels (the original series) and a very big fan of horror movies. I also love Mego Worlds’s Greatest Superheroes, Kenner Star Wars and Kenner Super Powers for classic toy lines (Mego means the most to me out the those lines) I love to travel to big cities like NYC, L.A., I live in Chicago so I see plenty of that one:) I love food, going to movies and concerts...especially Cyndi Lauper or Joan Jett. That’s pretty much all I can think of now.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Great topic. Thanks, Andy.

I love music, especially live music of almost any kind -- rock, blues, jazz, and even the odd symphonic outing. My partner Anne-Marie and I check out a lot of bands -- some national acts (we saw David Byrne's new tour a couple of weeks ago) and a lot of great players you've never heard of in little clubs. We live in central CT, and there are many terrific working musicians who gig in Boston and New York who live in our area. Many have side bands that play out on their off weekends; others turn up to sit in with lesser-known (but excellent) local players. It's a cool little scene.

I collect recorded music, and curate it on my computer. I have tens of thousands of songs, and I'm pretty obsessive about tagging them so that I can mix and match to create playlists using various criteria, (all songs by certain composers; songs featuring certain side players or guest musicians, etc.). It keeps me out of trouble.

I have a guitar and ukulele that I hack around with. They're a lot of fun, but their main function is reinforcing my appreciation of the performers I see around.

I love reading, and accidentally kicked off this year with two Pulitzer-prize winning books in a row (Lonesome Dove and All The Light We Cannot See) so now I'm extending the streak on purpose. Someday I'll be able to refer to 2018 as my "Pulitzer year." :)

I was a big comics fan in the late 70s and early 80s, but these days I have neither the time nor the funds to follow anything regularly. I own a few trade paperbacks of semi-recent stuff (I love everything the late Darwyn Cooke ever did), but when I get a comics itch these days, I mostly dig into my Marvel "Essentials" and DC "Showcase" B&W collections.