Adam West on PBS, January 29

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batman1962

Adam West on PBS, January 29

Post by Batman1962 »

In yesterday's Parade magazine (available in Sunday newspapers in the US but I'm not sure how many or which ones), there was a small article about Adam West in which he discusses how he felt about other actors portraying Batman. "There's sort of a proprietary feeling at first, but I quickly realized they were doing their thing. Christian Bale was marvelous in 'The Dark Knight'." The article also mentioned that Adam will be on PBS's Pioneers of Television on January 29.
Finally, at parade.com/batman, there's a poll in which you can vote for your favorite portrayal of the character. Guess who currently leads with about 51% of the total vote? I'll give you one guess. Okay, some of you might need two guesses. :x
Space Ghost

Re: Adam West on PBS, January 29

Post by Space Ghost »

Thanks for the heads up!
You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Some videos from the PBS site

click for Superhero preview video

and a video "Dangerous Stunts on Batman" (haven't seen this before with some bts stills)

click for video
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I always thought that the scene in the pilot looked a bit too realistic! I guess it was! Wow!

Sorry Burt broke his nose in it though.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Jersey Jim

Post by Jersey Jim »

I read that story in Burt's book..But its always better to hear it from Burt himself.
Thanks for posting this!
Riddler 66

Post by Riddler 66 »

Watched last week's show, on nightime soaps. it wasn't bad, but really ONLY profiled three shows, Dallas, Dynasty and Knott's Landing. There was a brief mention of Peyton Place. Otherwise, it double backed on the three profile shows constantly. Not as comprehensive as the prior week's show on female comics. Lot's of Joan Collins. My thoughts might be that this episode might therefore focus only on Batman , Wonder Woman and The Hulk. It will be interesting to see if any Superman shows, the Flash, the Green Hornet or others get any time. While good for us Bat-fans, it might not be very comprehensive. Burt looks like he touched up the gray for his interviews.
The trigger: one of my riddles!
Riddler 66

Post by Riddler 66 »

The Superheroes episode of Pioneers of Television has just aired on my local PBS. Batman is the opening and longest segment. Nice recent reflections by Adam and Burt, along with Julie Newmar and Joan Collins representing the special guest villains. While Batgirl is discussed, Yvonne does not appear in an interview. The other segments include Linda Carter/Wonder Woman, Lou Ferrigno/The Hulk, William Katt/Last American Hero, and Jack Larson/Jimmy Olsen of George Reeves Superman. Noel Neill was absent. Unfortunately The Green Hornet was not mentioned. Otherwise, Batfans should really enjoy this pretty well done moment. :)
The trigger: one of my riddles!
QuickBat Allan

Post by QuickBat Allan »

I really enjoyed it.. fun viewing. :)
my wife is my Batgirl
High C

Post by High C »

Riddler 66 wrote:Watched last week's show, on nightime soaps. it wasn't bad, but really ONLY profiled three shows, Dallas, Dynasty and Knott's Landing. There was a brief mention of Peyton Place. Otherwise, it double backed on the three profile shows constantly. Not as comprehensive as the prior week's show on female comics. Lots of Joan Collins.
I guess while they were interviewing her for that, they snuck in a few questions about Batman.

They didn't even mention the name of her character, and Joan said Siren's 'whistle' turned people to stone!! :shock: I guess memories get foggy after 40-plus years.

Still, she said she had fun and that it was a 'riot' appearing on Batman. At least she seems to embrace it now.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jersey Jim

Post by Jersey Jim »

I thought it was done very well..I really enjoyed it!
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

I enjoyed it despite two mistakes that crept in:

1. At 12:41, when they list the Catwomen, they are showing a picture of Julie Newmar when they mention Lee Meriwether.

2. On the trivia quiz, they identify the Adventures of Superman as having the most episodes (over Batman, Wonder Woman, and the Greatest American Hero.) Batman had the most at 120; Supes comes in second with 104.
Jersey Jim

Post by Jersey Jim »

Good catch..I caught the mistake with the picture of Julie when they mentioned Lee..but I missed the episode quiz one!
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

I forgot to set my DVR. :cry:
You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Space Ghost, you can watch it at PBS.org. Enjoy!
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

I just saw it, and it was enjoyable, though I think I learned more about the other shows than I did about Batman, since I know so much about the 1966 series. I did catch the mistake about the number of episodes for each show, of course. Decent show, though it did not go so much in depth as I would have liked, but so it goes.