What Else Interests You...?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dan E Kool

Re: What Else Interests You...?

Post by Dan E Kool »

Looks like I have a lot in common with all of you beyond our love of '66 Batman! I enjoy lifting weights, biking, hiking, swimming, you name it. When I'm not out and about I like to read a good book, put on a record or watch a movie, but I also collect and play old video games. Beyond that, I love classic cars and motorcycles - or anything with wheels that runs on dino juice!
- Boy Genius
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I love reading, and accidentally kicked off this year with two Pulitzer-prize winning books in a row (Lonesome Dove and All The Light We Cannot See) so now I'm extending the streak on purpose. Someday I'll be able to refer to 2018 as my "Pulitzer year." :)
As a (classic) comics fan, you should definitely put Michael Chabon's "Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" on your Pulitzer list. Great stuff.

I was a big comics fan in the late 70s and early 80s, but these days I have neither the time nor the funds to follow anything regularly. I own a few trade paperbacks of semi-recent stuff (I love everything the late Darwyn Cooke ever did), but when I get a comics itch these days, I mostly dig into my Marvel "Essentials" and DC "Showcase" B&W collections.
Two recommendations: (1) Check out the "Hoopla" app for tons of free comics, providing your local library participates. I've gotten to read a lot of good stuff for free in the last few months on the strength of my membership card at the county library. (2) Ollie's Outlet is currently a dumping ground for old "DC Showcase" remainders: I recently got volumes of Hawkman, Doom Patrol, Aquaman, Brave and the Bold, Strange Adventures, Phantom Stranger and Green Lantern for $2 each. And there were others I would've gotten if I hadn't already bought them elsewhere, for more.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

forgot a few things... it was really early when I posted.. 64 GI Joe, pulp novels, doggies, realllly bad monster movies.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

SprangFan wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:48 am James Bond (vintage)
I'd second this-- James Bond is as much about the 60s as can be in my mind, and anything past that is just James Bond wannabe.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Wow I never knew so many avengers (U.K.) fans are on the board! I've found my brethren! Some other things I didn't put in my post, James Bond, reading!! Also I enjoy hiking and swimming!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Great topic Andy. As you can tell from my avatar, I'm a Batmusic buff. So naturally, it would follow my love of the big band/swing era music which is where Neal Hefti and Nelson Riddle got the chops. My love of music is all over the place though. I like the Beatles and also classical...Remember the song Dick Grayson is playing on the piano in the George Sander's Mr. Freeze episode? It's actually
Prelude in E minor op. 28 no. 4 by Chopin. There's a great Liberace LP called., Liberace plays Chopin. A great crossover if you will.

Anyway, from 1996-2000, I home published a magazine called, The Batman Toy and Collectibles Price Guide (BT&CPG). I wanted it to be legal and sold everywhere, so I worked with Warner Brothers and was allowed to trademark my logo and copyright the name as long as I followed strict guidelines put forth by Warner Brothers. One being the word "Batman" could be no larger than any other word in the title of the magazine. It ended when advertisers could not be secured, and the cost of color copying went through the roof $1.00 a page!

But as for my other likes, I'm afraid I'm going to have to be honest here. I eat far too much pizza and other junk food, do not exercise except for what I do at work, and have a passion for tobacco. I don't throw pygmies or whatever though.

I build model kits and am working on Moebius's Penguin at the moment but since I'm an armed guard that works 5pm to 5am 6 days a week right now (were short people) I don't have time to get into it too much.
Music. BAT! Music.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

SprangFan wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 pm As a (classic) comics fan, you should definitely put Michael Chabon's "Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" on your Pulitzer list. Great stuff.
Thanks SprangFan! I read Kavalier and Clay when it was pretty new, and I loved it. I've since foisted it on several comics-loving friends, and they agree, as well. I'm currently revisiting another Pulitzer winner I read years ago -- A Confederacy of Dunces. K&C might be due for a re-do as well.
SprangFan wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 pmTwo recommendations: (1) Check out the "Hoopla" app for tons of free comics, providing your local library participates. I've gotten to read a lot of good stuff for free in the last few months on the strength of my membership card at the county library. (2) Ollie's Outlet is currently a dumping ground for old "DC Showcase" remainders: I recently got volumes of Hawkman, Doom Patrol, Aquaman, Brave and the Bold, Strange Adventures, Phantom Stranger and Green Lantern for $2 each. And there were others I would've gotten if I hadn't already bought them elsewhere, for more.
Great recommendations. I'll check them out.
Bat-Jay 2018

Post by Bat-Jay 2018 »

HELLO BAT-FANS!!!

James Rowe here! aka the Original Bat-James!

It has been toooooooo long since I have been on here and had to revisit ya'll. I am remarried so that takes some time cause I got the wifie and a step son. They both have been my help and heart Love the look of everything and want to thank the Mods for accepting me back in the group! I have met some great people on here in the past and am looking forward in meeting new ones.

Anyways, what interest me. I'm a jack of all trades. I'm into model building, painting, sewing, artist, musician and song writer, Also I make things as well. And I'm sure I can do pretty much anything else. For those that know me on here in the past know what I can do (without tooting my own horn)

But anyways, I thank ya'll and God Bless all of you and have a blessed day my Bat-Buds! :D
Jay Rowe
AKA Bat-James
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

In terms of pop culture I'm all things 60s, 70s, and some 80s. Was a big KISS fan of the 1973 to 1980 era (although I am absolutely sick of Gene Simmons nowadays. Never thought way back then that I would ever say that.). Very big Evel Knievel fan. Loved the NFL (I played semi-pro in Canada) from 1970 up until I stopped watching and dropped it just after the beginning of the 2017-2018 season. Also love reading non-fiction involving geopolitics, military history (I'm ex-military), true crime, or anything on the retro-pop culture entertainment scene. Aside from Batman, I had read all comic titles and companies (DC, Marvel, Harvey, Gold Key, etc.) - from 1969 up until 1999 which I consider the death of the industry. Was, and still am, a huge fan of model kit building. I guess I'm just a HUGE fan of yesteryear. I miss stuff like Friday and Saturday nights downtown and running into friends at malls, record stores, restaurants, and regular old movie theaters with the old carpet that had atmosphere. Or watching the ABC Sunday night movie premiering Superman or the old Saturday morning line-ups. My interests are trying to remember and appreciate 'the good old days'.

If anyone ever successfully constructs a time machine then, by all means, please give me a call! :P
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

John Mack wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:57 pm I build model kits and am working on Moebius's Penguin at the moment but since I'm an armed guard that works 5pm to 5am 6 days a week right now (were short people) I don't have time to get into it too much.
If your company hired a couple taller ones would that help ease up on the long hours?
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Depending on how "short" you mean, you need to watch out for the bowling enthusiasts in this thread.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQtn_RxNKzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIMGUpcYOOo

Celine Dion 50......saw her in Paris 2 yrs ago , awesome singer :)
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Well, for starters it’s The Beatles, Batman, and Bond....James Bond.

I love music, especially the ‘60s British Invasion and Merseybeat. I collect CDs and records and have since 1978. There are lots of acts I collect....Dylan, Cash, Elvis, Stones, Beach Boys, Monkees, et al. I have way too many. I collect soundtracks, love EuroSpy movies, Spaghetti Westerns, and spy novels. Have lots of classic Corgi cars and some select Hot Wheels. Also love playing golf. But mostly enjoy being on the water and being with my wife and dog.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

It’s really cool to see all of the other interests here. Like some of you here, I have been playing live music for years now, started when I was a high school sophomore, I’m now 52, I love the classic 80s rock, especially Loverboy, Journey, Boston, etc. I haven’t played live in the last 3 though. I have 7 electric guitars, 2 synths, 2 Loverboy signature model guitars, and an electric acoustic. My music playing, for now anyhow, has been in my small studio writing and recording some original songs, and it’s great fun.

I also have a huge passion for Lionel Trains. This is something that has been with me since I was a kid. I am also the president of the NEW (Northeastern Wisconsin) O Gaugers, located in the Green Bay Area. We are a group of 45 guys that get together several times a year and put up train displays. The guys come from all walks of life and are all ages. We have doctors, machinists, salesmen, farmers, you name it. We get together, hang out, and just have some great fun promoting our hobby, running our prized trains, and interacting with the community.

I also love to do video editing. I have some really great software that pretty much allows me to do almost anything I want, with some stunningly amazing results. Every year I do a family Christmas video, edit it all up, add music and all that fun stuff. Everybody always looks forward to this. It has now evolved into a yearly family event, the viewing of the Christmas video. Hmmmm, maybe I should start a side business...lol

In the summer I can also be found down at Neshotah Beach, here in my little corner of the world, flying kites. It’s really relaxing sitting out there doing something I haven’t done since I was a kid. I’m telling you guys, some of these things are really really cool. They are not just for kids. Check out my you tube channel (mrlionel1965) to see some videos of the huge kite fest they hold here in Two Rivers, every Labor Day weekend. Our small town of 12,000 always draws around 30,000. Some come from all over the country, as far away as Colorado to fly some of these huge inflateables. If you have never seen these things up close, go check out a kite festival sometime if you can, they are HUGE. It’s an impressive sight seeing all of these monster kites in the air It’s great family fun just enjoying some of the simpler things in life, instead of having our noses in something with a touch screen or WiFi connection.

Ken
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

I enjoy spending quality time with my lovely wife Jill. We've been married 31 years as of April 4th, 2018. She collects, restores, and customizes 12 inch dolls and action figures. The Lord didn't bless us with children, but we have three cats that keep us company.

I am the vacation/sick/interim preacher and the Bible class teacher at our local congregation. I have headed up many Vacation Bible Schools using pop reference and science fiction elements to keep the kids attention.

I'm still in the movie business on the side. We shot a TV pilot that I'm shopping around, and I'm currently editing 18 hour-and-a-half documentaries for the gaming convention Gencon.

I'm a huge fan of Star Wars AND Star Trek TOS, Knight Rider, James Bond, Ghostbusters, Munsters, The Princess Bride, Speed Racer, Indiana Jones, and the TV show Chuck. I rarely watch television anymore, relying instead on the movie theater and DVDs/Blurays for entertainment.

Ever since 9-11, I have became a internet news junkie (much to my dismay!). I keep up with politics, but rarely discuss it because of polarization.

I like rock and roll as well as classical music. I'm a huge fan of Rush, Journey, Yes, U2, Billy Joel, Trans Siberian Orchestra, Beatles, and Elton John.