Special guest villain!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

TBolt

Re: Special guest villain!

Post by TBolt »

OK, cast Joan Crawford for me. I can totally see her doing the show. She was doing guest spots and soaps in that time period.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
High C

Post by High C »

TBolt wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:56 pm OK, cast Joan Crawford for me. I can totally see her doing the show. She was doing guest spots and soaps in that time period.
A book called Joan Crawford: Hollywood Martyr (I once browsed it in a bookstore and just double-checked the reference via Google Books) by David Bret says that Joan was approached to guest star on the show but turned it down to do Man From UNCLE instead. That UNCLE episode aired on March 31, 1967, so it's possible Joan might have been approached about Black Widow before Tallulah Bankhead. I can't say for sure.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

She would have been excellent as The Black Widow.Bette Davis too.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Terrible idea. Wasn't Joan Crawford abusive to her daughter, in that book Mommy Dearest?
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:46 am Terrible idea. Wasn't Joan Crawford abusive to her daughter, in that book Mommy Dearest?
Which didn't come to light till after her passing, so at that point she was just a fading star.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Charles Bronson did an episode of The Fugitive during its last season (66-67), so he wasn't beneath doing TV roles--though whether he would have considered Batman is another story.

Don't you all realize that Joan Crawford was on Batman??? She played "The Devil"!!! At least that's what the video arcade trivia game stated as fact in the 80's. It was later discovered that the genius who came up with that answer somehow confused it with the actual fact that JOHN Crawford played "Printer's DEVIL" in the Bookworm eps. :lol: :lol: :lol:
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

TBolt wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:29 am
robinboyblunderer wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:46 am Terrible idea. Wasn't Joan Crawford abusive to her daughter, in that book Mommy Dearest?
Which didn't come to light till after her passing, so at that point she was just a fading star.
But we're looking back at it from the present; so to pretend she didn't do those things would be ignoring facts.

It doesn't matter anyway since this is just speculation but it still bothers me, casting someone that we know did terrible things.
High C

Post by High C »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:36 am
But we're looking back at it from the present; so to pretend she didn't do those things would be ignoring facts.

It doesn't matter anyway since this is just speculation but it still bothers me, casting someone that we know did terrible things.
I totally disagree. We are trying to put ourselves in the shoes of the decision-makers in 1966-67, looking at the information available to them. And based on that information, Joan Crawford would be in the mix for a Batman role.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:36 am

I don't take that into account, like HighC said its speculation based on the time period, not with hindsight. I am sure there are plenty of skeletons in closets that we still don't know about since passed on tv and movie stars.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.