avengers (steed and Mrs. Peel) thread!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

vintagematt

avengers (steed and Mrs. Peel) thread!

Post by vintagematt »

Recently I have come to notice that many of you are fans of the 1960s Avengers television series, and being a mega fan myself, I want to discuss it! You may be wondering why I made a discussion here, And it's primarily due to the fact that there isn't a 1960s Avengers message board, so I thought that I should start this thread (thanks to the batmusic thread for inspiring me!) So, let's talk avengers, what were your experiences with the show, how were you first exposed, and do you have a collection!? Would love to discuss more about this amazing tv show! :D
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
AndyFish

Re: avengers (steed and Mrs. Peel) thread!

Post by AndyFish »

Love the show, especially the color (or should I say colour) episodes!
I think my favorites are The House that Jack Built-- where Emma gets locked in that madhouse and The Winged Avenger which is ah homage of sorts to the Batman TV show.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I like both the color and b&w episodes, although I'd do like the more serious tone of the b&w eps. Also, I'm mainly a fan of seasons 4 and 5 (Emma peel years!), I just love the chemistry between Rigg and Macnee!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

This is a great thread. Thank you! As with Batman, I am taken by the music in the series. No surprise there. The Avenger's theme by Laurie Johnson is my favorite, but that only started in 1965 when Rigg joined and the colour episodes started.

All in all, a great show with that tongue in cheek humour we all know so well from Batman.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Tongue and cheek humor, yes, ridiculous villains, absolutely, but Steed and Mrs Peel were always handled with respect as if they were in on the joke. That's where Batman goes wrong starting in Season 2.

I loved the music-- the theme song might be the best ever, and the fashion of swinging 60s England.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Yes I too love the music, on YouTube someobody put most of it into a very long video, always put it on in the background while working!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I discovered the Avengers "backward," with " The New Avengers" first. The same happened with Ian Ogilvy's 1970s take on The Saint. Such was the curse of being born in 1965; by the time I was old enough how awesome the 60s were, it was all over. :lol:

It wasn't until the early 90s that I finally got to see the complete run of the show, thanks to A&E. As soon as they were available, I bought the "Emma years" on VHS, then later on DVD (and the BluRay set is calling my name...)

I probably came closest to expressing my feelings for the show in a blog post I did back in 2015, the 50th anniversary year of Emma's debut (and my own!). If you're interested, here's the link: http://www.davidmorefield.com/?p=1686
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Riddler 66

Post by Riddler 66 »

One of my favorite shows ever, I'd say Batman, classic Star Trek, The Avengers and Dark Shadows are my favorite series ever, followed closely by Star Trek and Wild, Wild West. The wife and I did John Steed and Emma Peel at a Halloween party (in Collinwood) a few years back
Attachments
Steed_Peel.jpg
The trigger: one of my riddles!
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

You two look great. I see Gilligan was there and busy with the hors d'oeuvres. :-)
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Love the show! I also have the complete Emma Peel/Avengers DVD set. My all-time favorite is the episode Epic in the abandoned movie studio, but there are so many others. How about the 1st season b&w episode with the lady puppet leading the female assassins? How come there's no more wacky creativity like that in TV writing? In any event, Diana Rigg is up there for me in the 'most attractive women in TV history' category next to Julie Newmar and Marlo Thomas. Then again, the '60s and the '70s had the greatest assortment of beautiful actresses we ever could have hoped for. :shock:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I just started rewatching them now, starting with season 4 (b&w) and I have to say I am liking the episode "the cybernauts" more now than I did before, I don't know maybe because I'm quite more into classic robot sci-fi now than I was before. And for the music, I think the avengers score is probably my favorite tv soundtrack OF ALL TIME, Laurie johnsons music is perfect for the series!
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Do you guys know if the avengers season four (the first Emma peel season) was released on blue ray in the u.s, I mean standalone not in a DVD boxset?