Batman Vs Godzilla Full Treatment?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

adventuremaster18

Batman Vs Godzilla Full Treatment?

Post by adventuremaster18 »

So, I recently found out this was a thing: https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Batman_vs._Godzilla

As a fan of Adam West Batman and Godzilla, this seemed awesome. It says there were two treatments made by Shinichi Sekizawa, which sounds cool, but I'm interested in the William Dozier treatment. While a description of the treatment was provided, I was curious if anyone has scans of the full 22 page treatment that's available at the American Heritage Center in the University of Wyoming. This sounds absolutely insane and I'd love to read the full treatment, maybe I'd even try to write a script out of it myself. So, does anyone have this?
John Mack

Re: Batman Vs Godzilla Full Treatment?

Post by John Mack »

I only have the PDF of Toho"s script. If anyone wants to download the description of the Dozier treatment to see what we're talking about, it's here....scroll to the bottom of the article.

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Batman_vs._Godzilla
Music. BAT! Music.
adventuremaster18

John Mack wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:55 pm I only have the PDF of Toho"s script. If anyone wants to download the description of the Dozier treatment to see what we're talking about, it's here....scroll to the bottom of the article.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Toho script! Could you put it up for download? But still, I'm curious about the Dozier treatment. I'd like to see how Godzilla would work in a Batman 66 story and all the details of it.
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

If you PM me with an email, I can send you a PDF copy of the Dozier Batman/Godzilla treatment from the archives when I get home tonight. I tried adding the file here but it looks like you cannot add PDF's.
John Mack wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:55 pm I only have the PDF of Toho"s script. If anyone wants to download the description of the Dozier treatment to see what we're talking about, it's here....scroll to the bottom of the article.

Mr. Mack, you have a PDF copy of the purported Sekizawa script/treatment (in Japanese under the Toho banner)? It would probably be the forged document made by a fan years ago that has made the rounds, a Sekizawa treatment is pretty much an urban legend. It was said to have been done in 11/1965, BEFORE the TV series aired, and Batman was largely unknown in Japan at the time (until the series aired there) and would not really have been considered for any type of treatment. Author John Lemay (in his excellent English language 'Lost Films' book that examines dozens of unproduced kaiju film projects) states that while the treatment is rumored to be unfinished and 38 pages, there is absolutely no confirmed evidence of it ever existing. Sekizawa denied ever doing one, there is nothing in Toho's archives, and Sekizawa's family stated it was not among his papers. It is likely the rumor got started based on the Dozier treatment.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
adventuremaster18

Lord Death Man wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:05 pm If you PM me with an email, I can send you a PDF copy of the Dozier Batman/Godzilla treatment from the archives when I get home tonight. I tried adding the file here but it looks like you cannot add PDF's.

Mr. Mack, you have a PDF copy of the purported Sekizawa script/treatment (in Japanese under the Toho banner)? It would probably be the forged document made by a fan years ago that has made the rounds, a Sekizawa treatment is pretty much an urban legend. It was said to have been done in 11/1965, BEFORE the TV series aired, and Batman was largely unknown in Japan and would not really have been considered for any type of treatment at the time. Sekizawa denied ever doing one and no records of one exist, it is likely the rumor got started based on the Dozier treatment.
Thanks, I'll PM you!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Lord Death Man, probably so lol. Oh, and I had the same discovery, PDF files don't download.
Music. BAT! Music.
SaintsPreserveUs

Post by SaintsPreserveUs »

Holy missed opportunity!
Attachments
Batman-Meets-Godzilla.jpg
Begorra!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Thanks to Lord Death Man, if anyone wants to read the script and not bother her to have to email an attachment I've uploaded it into a server.
Download here;
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmVGnHqILUckgXOX6KdrqwR_Q0Bb
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

So as Godzilla smashes the city does Batman say, "poor deluded creature"? :)
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

Based on the clipping below, I think it's likely that the undated "Batman Meets Godzilla" treatment in the Dozier files was drafted in or around October of '66. (Keep in mind that when Dozier was putting together his "Dick Tracy" pilot over the summer, he would very likely have been in contact with Henry Saperstein, who - in addition to owning the TV rights to the Dick Tracy comic strip - represented the interests of Japan's Toho studios in the U.S.)
batgirl_movie_Oct_66.jpg