Script: PLEASE OMIT TOMATOES (a.k.a. "Louie the Lilac")

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

cammy85

Re: Script: PLEASE OMIT TOMATOES (a.k.a. "Louie the Lilac")

Post by cammy85 »

It's a MIRACLE Barbara never recognized Alfred's voice when he answered the Batphone and when calling to Batman.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

bat-rss wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:53 pm By the way, everyone, if you have any comments on this you'd like to throw in before we record, please submit here by May 24! We're recording on the morning of the 25th US time.
OK.
ltl-01.jpg
ltl-01.jpg (20.31 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Not literally, on TV in 1967?

ltl-03.jpg
ltl-03.jpg (80.95 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
How much?

ltl-04.jpg
ltl-04.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Changed in the final script to "shoelaces" - Jockey is a brand name.

ltl-05.jpg
ltl-05.jpg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Instead we got a full minute of the Batgirl Theme. Again.

ltl-06.jpg
ltl-06.jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Ooh, sorry. The word we were looking for was "Parabola".

ltl-07.jpg
ltl-07.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
"A Pansy" - Aaaaand there's your gay reference for the Camping section :mrgreen: .
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

One more (tried to add it but the mean ol' edit function wouldn't let me):
ltl-02.jpg
ltl-02.jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
Had to look that last word up - it's French and means "pout" or "grimace" (and should be spelled with one "e").
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Great catch on the discrepancy in the amount of the flower-show prize!
chrisbcritter wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:32 pm ltl-03.jpg
How much?
Per my earlier comment that the draft script makes Louie out to be a low-rent archcriminal: A $5,000 caper is less rinky-dink than one that bags $500, but it's still kinda chintzy, even by 1967 standards. :)
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

chrisbcritter wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 pm One more (tried to add it but the mean ol' edit function wouldn't let me):
ltl-02.jpg
Had to look that last word up - it's French and means "pout" or "grimace" (and should be spelled with one "e").
I knew it only because I saw Barbara Eden use that word as only she could as a clue for "Pout" on "Password!" :) (At 7:38)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEHo3fBbpHE
High C

Post by High C »

Jim Akin wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 pm
Per my earlier comment that the draft script makes Louie out to be a low-rent archcriminal: A $5,000 caper is less rinky-dink than one that bags $500, but it's still kinda chintzy, even by 1967 standards. :)
Per the inflation calculator, Louie's $5K crime would be worth $37,619.52 today. Bruce Wayne probably has that much in the sofa cushions of stately Wayne Manor.

Also consider that in the filmed but cut scene in Wail of The Siren, it was revealed that Lorelei Circe made $5K per concert. And she obviously wanted to bring in a lot more money via her criminal schemes. For all his flaws, Stanley Ralph Ross obviously had a much better idea of how supervillains viewed monetary amounts than did one-shot Batman scripter Dwight Taylor.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

chrisbcritter wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 pm Had to look that last word up - it's French and means "pout" or "grimace" (and should be spelled with one "e").
If I recall my high school French correctly, "moué" would apply to a pouty man, and "mouée" to a grimace-y woman. Compare to fiancé (groom-to-be) and fiancée (bride-to-be); likewise "née" is often used to refer to a woman's last name before marriage; if more men changed their names, you'd also see "né" used to refer to the guys' names at birth.

"One should always keep abreast of foreign tongues, Robin." :)
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Ah! Online translator bites the dust again (I took Spanish in school instead of French... :oops: ).
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens and podcasters,

This largely unused script was a fascinating read, beginning atypically with Commissioner Gordon briefing his force, including our heroes, on Louie the Lilac. When the villain interrupts, the Dynamic Duo gives chase and are thwarted by a two pronged strategem. The first part, a rubber fire hydrant placed beside the Batmobile to delay the duo while they get a ticket, would never have been used in the show. Batman, Robin, or the police, even in Gotham City, might notice it was absent when they parked. The second prong, a tricky truck which could change its appearance was clever.

I like the villain's plot, to help his girlfriend monopolize the flower market in Gotham City. This makes more sense then taking over surfing, boxing, or whatever for nefarious purposes. Again the plot has two prongs, demanding tribute from competitors, which is good. The second prong, punishing competitors customers is weak.

I liked Pansy O'Hara. She could not have been called O'Hara because of Chief O'Hara, who did not appear in the story. Batman and Robin were subdued by a poisoned poppy, which was renamed for the broadcast story. Their capture led to Louie's speakeasy hothouse, where they were ultimately fed to Brazilian, man eating orchids. These would have taken all night and several additional hours to digest the heroes, except Batman managed to catapult a flower pot through a window. In the final version, he simply kicked it.

Meanwhile, Barbara Gordon investigated Louie's plot as herself instead of Batgirl, which is interesting. She and Pansy have entries in a horticulture contest Louie will cheat to help his girl win. The prize is small change for villains, which makes the payoff a little rinky dink, but that could have been corrected easily enough.

After the climactic fight, Barbara wins and the fire hydrant gag pays off, leaving one question.

Was Alfred in the script? I don't remember.

I see why most of this material wasn't used, but there were some worthwhile elements.

Thank you for sharing this script.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!