Batman's upcoming marriage?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jthree

Batman's upcoming marriage?

Post by Jthree »

Dear Bat Friends:

DC is really pushing Batman's marriage to Catwoman in Batman 50. They've shown some of the alternate covers, but I don't care for most of them. I don't care for the modern Princess of Plunder and her short hair. I much prefer Ms. Newmar's, Ms. Kitt's, and Ms. Merriweather's versions.

Do you think any of the covers or tributes might refer to our favorite version of the Caped Crusader and the Queen of crime? The Adam West /Julie Newmar version I mean.

James
John Mack

Re: Batman's upcoming marriage?

Post by John Mack »

I'm not a fan of the new Batman comic books or movies or anything related such as the merchandise etc. At my local comic book shop, they have stacks of printed wedding invitations on the counter. I guess we're all invited. My RSVP? Sorry, but I will be unable to attend.
Music. BAT! Music.
High C

Post by High C »

I agree with the previous poster. It's bad enough that in the 'previews' of the issue, Joker makes a '66 reference after slaughtering innocent people with a gun at a different wedding, to lure Batman, I suppose. Not for me.

I had not heard of this until the OP mentioned it, and as soon as I googled 'Batman Catwoman wedding,' that preview popped up. No wonder I'm not a fan of current comics. So much for 'escapism' nowadays, but I really wish they wouldn't mix in '66 references to the very Dark Knight of today. Too jarring.

I guess what I'm saying is, no offense to the OP, I'd rather not see artwork that references '66. It doesn't mesh with the tone of the current comic.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

It has to be more credible than Alfred convincing people that Batman once married Aunt Harriet. :lol:
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Thanks guys.
I feel the same way you do. Out of 11 covers, there are only about 2 that I would say looks presentable with Selina looking beautiful. Don't know why today's artists have to gross out the audience. There should be more fun to the event, and all I can see is dark and gritty. Wish they could have the Batman 66 comic book writers do their version of the big event.

Three
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

I think the Earth-2 marriage of Batman and Catwoman was one of the best Batman stories I have read (I think it was in Brave & Bold 197), even though I usually dislike the Catwoman character across all media. It was so natural. It will be interesting to see if the marriage actually comes off. I remember when Dick Grayson was marrying Starfire/Princess Koriand'r and the ceremony was broken up and the marriage never happened. And even if Batman's does, how long might it be before it is eliminated by another reboot? Of course, his son Damien has been around a lot longer than I was expecting.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
High C

Post by High C »

Jthree wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:17 pm Don't know why today's artists have to gross out the audience. There should be more fun to the event, and all I can see is dark and gritty.
THIS. Heaven forbid anything could be a ray of hope. Dark, dark, dark.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

SPOILERS FOR MOST RECENT BATMAN ISSUE & BATMAN VS. TWO-FACE CARTOON MOVIE

I've no problem separating the '66 version from the comics, movies etc.
But this is just another stunt, now I could be wrong and the marriage could last for years but I'd be surprised.
Marriages are a fine place for an ending, certainly I could see Batman reforming Catwoman and marrying her. I quite liked the end of "Batman Vs. Two-Face" since it seemed Catwoman was finally honest about reforming, had accepted Robin (as much as she could I guess) and the very last scene, to me, alluded to a growing, happy relationship for them. About as good an ending to the '66 versions with Adam and Burt all things considered.

(Now if they wanted to do a one-off cartoon of Robin meeting Poison Ivy starring Burt as a fun solo adventure, that would be fine but I feel the '66 version, beginning with the show, came to an ending here.)

Back to the comic. Batman marrying is the end, because marriage itself is about responsibility, most likely children and settling down. It's one thing to have Robin as a sidekick, partner, ward, another to have children and be racing about the city fighting criminals.

(I realize in the comics there's Damian Wayne but he is far from a normal child, trained by ninjas etc.)

Plus, in the end, people enjoy the frisson of Batman and Catwoman, the give and take, not them settling down and carrying on having adventures.

So I don't think it will last, in corporate owned comics very little change from the status quo ever does. Still, there can be enjoyment found in the execution of these story ideas, the what-if factor of them getting married; it's just not something that interests me.

Though if SRS had a written version of a story from the 66 show, well, that would be an interesting find.

Aside from the grim and grittiness, it's awful. The Joker planting a bomb on what some consider a very sacred symbol. Who the heck wants to see that? But it's their right to publish it. The point is, the Joker in the comics is so incredibly evil and depraved anything less than a lobotomy or his final death seems like a tiny comeuppance in response to his crimes.

It's one thing to have the Joker commit some crimes, even kill, but in the comics he's become this horrific, nearly unstoppable monster; I think in one recent issue he murders some guy randomly while waiting for his "invitation" to the wedding.

And that's aside from the Bat and Cat dialogue, the weird overserious somewhat ineffectual Batman, the whole dynamic where the characters often call each other by their first and/or last names and this sense that Batman is some relentless loner who rarely listens to others.

I realize I'm not the audience for this stuff and that's fine too. I guess I just felt like delivering a rant; while the different version of Batman can be enjoyed, this current take isn't to my taste at all and much like the Death of Superman or the Marriage of Peter Parker and Mary Jane or any of a number of "life-altering" events, this one will most likely be undone down the line.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

High C wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:12 pm It's bad enough that in the 'previews' of the issue, Joker makes a '66 reference after slaughtering innocent people with a gun at a different wedding, to lure Batman, I suppose. Not for me.
Curiosity got me. What's the reference?
- Boy Genius
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

I know Batman 66 meets Archie is coming out soon, but I would love to see Batman 66 back on a regular basis.
I miss fun comic books.

--jthree
High C

Post by High C »

Dan E Kool wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:08 am
High C wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:12 pm It's bad enough that in the 'previews' of the issue, Joker makes a '66 reference after slaughtering innocent people with a gun at a different wedding, to lure Batman, I suppose. Not for me.
Curiosity got me. What's the reference?
SPOILER

After Joker shoots and kills innocent people at another wedding ('off-camera,' of course) he says out loud 'Nanananananana...Batman.'
Hardy har har. Again, if people enjoy this stuff, that's fine. To each his/her own. For me, it's too violent, nihilistic and depressing. For all the flaws I rant about with 1966 Bats, give me the Bright Knight all day and every day over this stuff. Life is depressing enough. I don't have to buy a comic book to be even more depressed.

Plus, this reminds me of the Nolan Joker. He's not even a disturbed human being anymore. He's a psychopathic Terminator who seems immune to being killed himself. An unstoppable killing machine isn't my idea of fun, sorry. Hard pass.

vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

High c brings up an excellent point, while I can take my serious batman, I just think today's "modern age" comics are way to dark. The world we live in is violent and depressing, if I wanted to see that I would watch the news not read a comic book.
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

The rehearsal dinner?
Attachments
29541539_1466983466745973_3686378331293758877_n.jpg
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Love that picture Keith Mayo. Since the Batman/Catwoman marriage seems to be in "in" thing in DC right now, I wish they would do a Batman 66 version. Heck they could even do a comic book version of the unreleased Catwoman script someone just dug up.

--jthree
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I had a collectors sale this weekend and one family gave me an invitation to the Wedding. Who's the best man?

I hope they don't have a reboot in a few years after they've painted themselves into a corner. I stopped my Spidey collection at that point.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!