Script: FASHIONS IN CRIME, by Peggy Shaw

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Script: FASHIONS IN CRIME, by Peggy Shaw

Post by bat-rss »

OK, all-seeing, all-knowing message board denizens, here's our next TO THE BATPOLES script discussion topic: the never-filmed "Fashions in Crime" by Peggy Shaw:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/irixkrmjepctg ... w.pdf?dl=0

I've failed to find any info on Shaw. There are several Peggy Shaws on IMDB, but none of them appear to be her. Does anyone recognize the name?

Anyway, this is our topic for podcast episode 89 -- will let you know when we're going to be recording. Until then, comment away!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Re: Script: FASHIONS IN CRIME, by Peggy Shaw

Post by High C »

Shaw was her married name. Her original surname was O'Shea. She was writing for Peyton Place around that time.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0642683/
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Well Ms. Shaw's version seems to a bit more vicious that how CW later became in the second season. Some of the characters seem off, such as Alfred and Robin's reactions in the Kitty Kat Club, but I have to try to imagine how the actors would have done the scene.

The final scene with "the kiss of forgetfulness," reminded me of Superman II. You can tell the romantic tension between the two is beginning to build but it's somewhat off and I don't think Shaw was familiar with what Newmar brought to the character.

three
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Do we know when this was written? It reads like a Season One episode so its possible Ms Shaw wrote this BEFORE Julie had appeared in the role which would explain Cat Woman's (as she writes it) off behavior. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a second season pitch and Lee Meriwether was who she had in mind for the role, Lee brought a more sinister performance to the role that Julie only touched on in her premiere episodes.

Regardless, this was a good script and it's a shame it wasn't produced.
Kudos to you guys for finding and posting this.
What other unproduced scripts are out there?
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Thanks for sharing this! What a find. A Catwoman episode that fits the overall vibe of the show yet goes in some different directions. It definitely feels like a first or early second season though I'm going to guess the first.

While I have some parts I may not care for, this was quite entertaining and well written. I purrticulalry like the last lines of the script, clever wordplay.

I hope there's more to come like this, new never-before-scene scripts and treatments in addition to the ones from produced episodes!
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Since DC did Harlan Ellison's unproduced Batman script, perhaps this story could come out in comic book form.

--jthree
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Some other observations:

For those who read the script, does it seem too long for the average two part Bat episode? It seems to me a few scenes could have been abbreviated.

I've never seen Batman lecture Robin or the public as hard as he does in this story. Anybody else notice that?

--jthree

P.S. Can't wait for the last unpublished Catwoman script to come out. But then, there'll be nothing else.

--jthree
High C

Post by High C »

I'm sorry this is so long, but I had a lot to say. It's so much fun to get a look at what might have been. Thanks again, guys. Looking forward to that podcast.

Pros: I liked the idea of Dick actually having a girlfriend over at Wayne Manor. Would've helped normalize him a little more.

Calling the henchmen the Cat Pack was a fun idea. Batman as quipster was fun, except for the non-G-rated one. I liked the mention of his mother, but the God reference wasn't going to stand in those days. Catwoman as an actual Cat-burglar is fun, and as I've noted before on this board, I hated how Stanley Ralph Ross got away from that.

Cons: Much like Ross and Orgel in their first draft, Shaw/O'Shea seems to feel cats can be trained to do a lot of stunts. There is too much reliance on set pieces involving cats setting things in motion, which would have taken time and coaxing to film, time they didn't have, although perhaps some of it could have been fixed in the editing room. And some of her other action scenes might have been tough to film, even though they sound good on paper. Again, it might have taken skilled editing to make them work.

I didn't like the idea of giving Catwoman cat-eyes. I mean, is she suggesting that CW is some kind of mutant? Interesting idea, but kind of untenable in the long run. And as I've read from stories about The Invaders and Star Trek pilots, those sort of contact lenses in those days were VERY painful for the actors. And obviously CW was going to be a recurring foe.

The Madame Moderne stuff was a little stiff. I mean, if I knew as soon as she was mentioned that she was CW, it seems a little silly that Batman does not. Although I definitely could see Newmar playing that dual role well, it was up her alley. Although perhaps a Swede would've been more in her wheelhouse than a Frenchwoman.

Shaw got some beats of the show wrong. Batman's dialogue is shaky in terms of character, especially one point in which his and Robin's dialogue probably should have been switched. He also calls Robin 'buddy' at one point, which is completely off. When CW finds out his identity, I think it needed to be written as much more of a 'Eureka' moment, if only to drum it into the audience's head. CW needs to have more dialogue, period.

The trap is not bad, but it really needs to have the villain present. Then there are a few too many 'we have already seen' shots in the recap, and it seems their escape is facilitated a bit too quickly.

As for part 2, it's troubling that it takes SO long for Batman to put Moderne and CW together, and it makes him look bad. The ending is interesting, although it makes CW look stupid to fall for such an obvious trick. Also, why did the henchmen have to die if they didn't know BM's identity?? Shaw/O'Shea didn't need to do that, plus Batman basically is responsible for their deaths, so that's bad, too. (Remember the would-be assassins in Zelda killed one another by accident.)

Still, I think it's a worthwhile script, and with a little rewriting, could have been a viable arc.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

This seems to be based on Batman 47 Fashions In Crime where Catwoman poses as Madamd Moderne of Damsel Magazine. There is no discovery of Batman's identity but there is a giant sewing machine. I would guess that this is the inspiration for the third season episode Catwoman's Dressed To Kill.

The secret identity discovery was used in I'll Be A Mummy's Uncle along with tge amnesia spray.
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Still working on it.

Rather surprised by viscous fate of the Cat Pack at the end. In addition, when Catwoman is gloating, Batman considers hitting the switch of the suing machine on the Princess of the Plunder. What happened to to Selina's minions has had to be the most violent action considered the the series.

The chemistry between Batman and Catwoman is played out differently that we know, but it is there. More opinions please? How would you describe it?

As for Catwoman's dress, Shaw mentions "skirt" a few times, and maybe ruffles. I don't think that was consistent with her typical atire.

I think the second half could be pared down a bit. Would love to see this story in comic book form?
--jthree
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Wish I could post the pdf but I don't want to get into copyright trouble.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I would love if this would be adapted for a batman '66 story, but I guess that series is dead so...
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
dell

Post by dell »

Jthree wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:23 pm Some other observations:

For those who read the script, does it seem too long for the average two part Bat episode? It seems to me a few scenes could have been abbreviated.

I've never seen Batman lecture Robin or the public as hard as he does in this story. Anybody else notice that?

--jthree

P.S. Can't wait for the last unpublished Catwoman script to come out. But then, there'll be nothing else.

--jthree
It was waaaaaaaay too long; some serious trimming would have been required. I would bet around one third or even one half would have to go to get it down to appropriae length.

Batman and Robin were definetly off from the characters we saw in the show. Very hard and very little regard for the loss of life in the Cat Pack and very nearly Cat Woman. Speaking of Cat Woman, I didn't like the tail or the comparison to Playboy Bunnies. Maybe in the 60's that would have worked, but I would find it hard to take a villianess seriously if she was tarted up something like a Playboy Bunny. Catwoman, Batgirl and some of the molls were put in tight costumes, but no major characters ever wore anything as revealing as a Bunny costume. The closest we come to a Playboy Bunny was in the Hot Off the Griddle episode where the waitress and dancers at the Pink Sandbox are dressed in Playboy Bunny-ish cat outfits. But these are minor characters and they are still pretty covered up.

I also didn't care for the jewelry stealing gizmos. It sounds OK on paper, but it would have been tough to pull off realistically on a TV show.
dell
High C

Post by High C »

AndyFish wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:13 am Do we know when this was written? It reads like a Season One episode so its possible Ms Shaw wrote this BEFORE Julie had appeared in the role which would explain Cat Woman's (as she writes it) off behavior. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a second season pitch and Lee Meriwether was who she had in mind for the role, Lee brought a more sinister performance to the role that Julie only touched on in her premiere episodes.

Regardless, this was a good script and it's a shame it wasn't produced.
Kudos to you guys for finding and posting this.
What other unproduced scripts are out there?
The podcasters discuss which scripts they have at 1:32:06 of this episode. Some already have been discussed on the show:

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/070-bat ... e#comments

BTW, there's a notation for another 'Fashions in Crime' draft dated Dec. 23, 1965, so presumably this was written before the show had aired. It is possible that Shaw had been shown the pilot, however.

Jthree

Post by Jthree »

[quote=dell post_id=61781 time=1528678138 user_id=407]
[quote=Jthree post_id=61735 time=1528507413 user_id=789]
Some other observations:

ould have worked, but I would find it hard to take a villianess seriously if she was tarted up something like a Playboy Bunny. Catwoman, Batgirl and some of the molls were put in tight costumes, but no major characters ever wore anything as revealing as a Bunny costume. The closest we come to a Playboy Bunny was in the Hot Off the Griddle episode where the waitress and dancers at the Pink Sandbox are dressed in Playboy Bunny-ish cat outfits. But these are minor characters and they are still pretty covered up.

I
Doesn't it say in the script the "kittens" are dressed like Catwoman, and Catwoman is dressed like them somewhere in the script?

--jthree