Recognizing Catwoman

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Keith Mayo

Recognizing Catwoman

Post by Keith Mayo »

So this just occurred to me today:

The Batman Movie was shot between Seasons One and Two, right?
Catwoman appeared in S1 19 and 20 (The Purr-fect Crime - Better Luck Next Time).

So this brings up the question of why did Batman/Bruce Wayne not recognize Miss Kitka as Catwoman?
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
dell

Re: Recognizing Catwoman

Post by dell »

There are many of these inconsistencies in the show. It makes sense just to view each arc on its own and not with what has happened in any others unless they specifically reference it.
dell
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

There is no consistency between the series and the movie. The movie operates in its own universe thanks to no one in the movie referring to the fact that they believed Catwoman died at the end of "Better Luck Next Time".

Additionally, when Catwoman returned in season 2's "Hot Off the Griddle", Gordon informed Batman that she was apparently "alive and well"--meaning as far as they were concerned, Catwoman was believed to have died as implied by the fall into the bottomless pit in "Better Luck Next Time".

That takes the movie out of series continuity, unless you create your own personal continuity and believe the film's events take place sometime later, like the period between season 2 and 3 (that would be my choice), or following the series' final episode. That's the only way for the movie to fit into the TV continuity.
Beneath Wayne Manor
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

For the same reason Blofeld doesn't recognize 007 in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" after having just met him in "You Only Live Twice": he's played by a different actor! :lol:

Actually a much better question (one that doesn't even require the existence of the TV show) is why doesn't Batman recognize Catwoman as Miss Kitka when (1) he knows Catwoman is out of prison and (2) presumably she would have had to take her mask off when she was put in prison, meaning her face would be familiar to anyone in law enforcement. (Of course that's assuming costumes -- or even weapons -- are confiscated at that open-door country club Warden Chrichton calls a prison.)
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

As you may or may not recall, the movie was originally slated to be our introduction to the series, but was put off by the sudden ending of Ozzie and Harriet, thus becoming the mid season replacement for that series. Lots of things were rushed such as Barris having to have the Batmobile done in 10 seconds or whatever he used to boast about.

But as for just the sheer nature of things, even as a child I was confused by the different actors playing the roles of Freeze, Catwoman and the Riddler. Those being all quite obvious. It wasn't until I was much older did I realize Zelda was Olga or that molls or henchmen had different roles throughout the series. I've come to terms with things all under the guise of suspension of disbelief. It has made my viewing/reading and overall out look of all things Sci-fi/fantasy/super hero much easier to take. Let it roll and enjoy.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

And Blofeld was a different actor too so who knows who is.
If Clark Kent can fool people with a pair of glasses maybe Catwoman can fool people by taking her ears off.
I'm a Lee Fan and with that Miss America smile of hers it's easy to forget she's a bad guy.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

PENGUIN: "Good day to you sirs, I am Commodore Schmidlap!"
ROBIN: "Oh brother, who does he think he's kidding! That's the Penguin!"
BATMAN: "Obviously..."

ROBIN: "Gosh, who's that pretty Russian journalist?"
BATMAN: "I have no idea, but I think I'm in love..."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
BATWINGED HORNET

John Mack wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:13 am As you may or may not recall, the movie was originally slated to be our introduction to the series, but was put off by the sudden ending of Ozzie and Harriet, thus becoming the mid season replacement for that series. Lots of things were rushed such as Barris having to have the Batmobile done in 10 seconds or whatever he used to boast about.
Unless someone can provide the original draft for what would become the moive, I'm going to say that it did not matter, since Lorenzo Semple--by the time Dozier wanted to make the film (post season one) could have altered the script to mention what was beieved about Catwoman from season one. It took no effort to do that in her 2nd season debut, so it would not have been a problem for the movie script. Well, that did not happen, so it really places the movie out of series continuity, or places it somewhere else in the timeline.
Beneath Wayne Manor
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

SprangFan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:09 am PENGUIN: "Good day to you sirs, I am Commodore Schmidlap!"

Brilliant!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

You'll never reconcile the various Catwomen.

Julie has romantic feelings for Batman.

Lee shows no affection for Batman and only pretends to like Bruce.

Eartha doesn't seem to have a sentimental cell in her whole body.

If we can't even connect the dots from season 1 to season 3, what hope is there for a sidebar movie?
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

SprangFan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:09 am PENGUIN: "Good day to you sirs, I am Commodore Schmidlap!"

Great stuff there!

Most of us guys have lost track of our senses due to a beautiful woman at some point.

What I always found interesting was the tone of Catwoman's voice in the movie when they are escaping with the dehydrated representatives, when she warns Batman that if he takes one more step, Miss Kitka dies. Her tone suggested she knew Batman was Bruce Wayne, who had fallen for Kitka.
BATWINGED HORNET

SprangFan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:24 pm You'll never reconcile the various Catwomen.

Julie has romantic feelings for Batman.

Lee shows no affection for Batman and only pretends to like Bruce.

Eartha doesn't seem to have a sentimental cell in her whole body.

If we can't even connect the dots from season 1 to season 3, what hope is there for a sidebar movie?
Well, the dots were connected from Newmar's season one debut and fate to her return with Gordon's line about Catwoman being "alive and well" in season two, which appeared to be intentional. That makes the movie the odd-production out, sort of an imaginary story in a comic book annual that has no bearing on the regular continuity.
Beneath Wayne Manor
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I don't think the show was meant for this type of scrutiny.
They recast the role and everyone just goes ahead like this is the same Catwoman. Same with the Riddler.

The slightest nod to continuity would be the original writers briefly acknowledging the first Tut episodes in The Spell of Tut and I think any Catwoman references were because SRR wrote most of them.

cheers
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

There really isn't any explanation for Batman not recognizing Kitka. Even without the series episodes Batman has clearly faced Catwoman before. They should have change Lee's hair maybe given her glasses, something to change her appearance as they did with Julie in The Cat's Meow when sh poses as a dance instructor. \

As for the series, continuity was pretty non existent in episodic series of the 50s and 60s. You have to take each episode on it's own unless it is a direct sequel to a previous episode. In the second season alone there are five appearances of Catwoman and in all but Hot Off The Griddle/The Cat and The Fiddle ( where it was believed Catwoman was dead) they start with the Catwoman apparently out on parole. (In two episodes it is explicitly stated she is out on parole) This hardly makes sense, so just ignore the other episodes and go for the ride.
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

I always look at the movie as the pilot, so for my viewing I watch the film first. It just makes more sense to me that way, which also explains why Lee's Catwoman had no necklace, it was added to the outfit later by Catwoman (Julie) and continued with Eartha. Also explains why Robin seeing Julie unmasked in her season one appearance doesn't surprise him because by now he knows she's Miss. Kitka (or was pretending to be her) and it then leads right into Julie's season two appearance where her "alive,not dead" seems to work. Plus in Julie's season one appearance she mentions both Joker and Penguin which is a nice nod that she must have worked with them in the past. Watching the film first also sets us up for the fact that these four villains will be the core/main foes of the series. This is why I always felt watching the film first connects the whole universe almost perfectly.IMO