John Mack

Re: OFFICIAL BATMUSIC THREAD ADD TO IT WHEN YOU WILL

Post by John Mack »

Congratulations on the new baby!
Music. BAT! Music.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

John Mack wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:52 pm Congratulations on the new baby!
Thanks! I'm sure I'll be sharing some baby costume photos this Halloween, if not sooner.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

In case you're not following the Bat-Merchandise board, Dan Greenfield wrote a nice feature about the new album which officially released yesterday.

Check out the thread or jump straight to his 13th Dimension article.

More good news, The Bat Swings! has already made the "Top Adds" chart for at least one of the independent radio trackers. If you've got a local jazz station, maybe give them a buzz on the hotline.
Attachments
TheBatSwings-Utility_Belt.jpg
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

You guys knocked this out of the park.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Today, starts a new chapter in the Batmusic thread.

All of our tireless heroes of the DVD battle are rightfully tired and a well deserved rest is upon them. They won the battles and they won the war!
It is NOT expected that the same people who won our fight for the series to get released on DVD enter into another battle. One was enough for anyone. Especially THAT ONE!

But as human nature can attest to, though the major war has been won, other parts of the war had to be conceded to. One of those being the music from our series.

What concessions had to be made with respect to the music? It is quite obvious that the battle for music was lost. An action figure having our Batman dancing was released without Riddle's Batusi music. That was my first clue that the war had not been won in it's entirety.

I have been told by people/companies that they consider the 1966 Batman music their holy grail, but cannot proceed in making a complete soundtrack due to rights entanglements.

So, my faithful warriors of the DVD war, where do we Batmusic fans stand? What must others do to take over this battle, that surely you rightfully do not want to enter after such an epic war has been won?
Music. BAT! Music.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

I'd suggest contacting Riddle's son Christopher. He is actively involved with his father's catalog.

nelsonriddle.org
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I have dreamed for a long VERY LONG time, for an official batman 1966 soundtrack, with all of the music from the series, not just the famous stuff. Tracks like catwomans creepy theme or bookworms theme. I do hope that one day, the rights are settled and we can get an official album.
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Keith Mayo wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:08 am I'd suggest contacting Riddle's son Christopher. He is actively involved with his father's catalog.

nelsonriddle.org
Hi Keith,

Oh trust me, this is not something I've just started. I've been on a quest with this for over 30 years. I've emailed Chris years ago. No answer from him. As people on the board can tell you, this is my thing.

I live in Tucson and guess what the University of Arizona has? All of Nelson's library including sheet music is here. It was willed to the University due to his work with Linda Ronstadt who loved working with him and was born and raised here. But here's the kicker. Only ONE leitmotif pertaining to Batman was in his library according the curator. That leitmotif was the Batmobile nah nah music. That's it. It has been speculated over the years that the reason his Batman works are not there is because he either gave them to family such as Chris or sold the works to a private collector.
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:53 pm I have dreamed for a long VERY LONG time, for an official batman 1966 soundtrack, with all of the music from the series, not just the famous stuff. Tracks like catwomans creepy theme or bookworms theme. I do hope that one day, the rights are settled and we can get an official album.
Amen to that. As many people are just coming into this, let me tell everyone that is my hope too. All music. An all encompassing soundtrack that has no dialogue or sound effects over it.
Star Trek, both TOS and NG, Speed Racer, Jonny Quest, have it, but when we're dealing with 66 Batman, it's all apples and oranges.
Music. BAT! Music.
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

John,

Keep fighting the good fight. Hopefully one day someone like Intrada, Quartet, Silva Screen, La-La Land, or Varèse Sarabande will secure the licensing rights and release it. Perhaps an email campaign from this board to these companies could help. What about one of those sites Fund Me or something like that? If enough cash was raised by music lovers, would that get some movement? Is it the Riddle estate holding things up?
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Blue Meanie wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:16 pm John,

Keep fighting the good fight. Hopefully one day someone like Intrada, Quartet, Silva Screen, La-La Land, or Varèse Sarabande will secure the licensing rights and release it. Perhaps an email campaign from this board to these companies could help. What about one of those sites Fund Me or something like that? If enough cash was raised by music lovers, would that get some movement? Is it the Riddle estate holding things up?
Well, that's kinda one of the problems right now, just like the home video/DVD battle in it's infancy. I've not been able to get anyone to talk about what or where the hang ups are. It's like everyone is done and over with things because the series has been released. So what's YOUR problem, is the attitude from many, and so what, not my thing from others. Has anyone stopped to think how our series would be without the music that drove the scenes we love? Then in the third season, we get Billy May! I actually liked his treatment better than Riddle's, but I don't want to get into that.

It's like the war was won, but the treaty that was signed left out the music. I guess if it came down to the series being released but no rights to the music, I'd have signed too. But see, that's the thing. We have the wonderful story of the fight that brought the series out for us, but no mention of music releases, rights or what have you. I'll bet we won't see figures for guest stars such as Rudy Vallee, and few more as estate issues haven't been completely solved either..but I digress...

Also, don't forget, Warren Barker did the Marsha Queen of Diamonds episodes. Haven't even gotten an answer on why after all these years.

So, we have Neal Hefti (theme only supposedly) Nelson Riddle, Warren Barker and Billy May. Not to mention Chad and Jeremy, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Johnny Green and the Greenmen, and Liberace. How many others added their musical touch to things?

But, wrapping up, no....I don't do petitions and at this point, what good would money do? Where the heck would you send it? Thanks for the encouragement old fellow. That means a lot to me.
Music. BAT! Music.
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Well, good luck. We all want to see this music released. You may want to post over at http://forums.stevehoffman.tv. It’s a large music forum with lots of industry types, so you may uncover or start something from there. Just a thought.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I'll give it a shot. Years ago I used to post at Film Score Monthly (the first company to release the movie soundtrack). The people there were a bit terse, making comments like, there's more to listen to than Batman. Certainly not the moderated family site we have here.
Music. BAT! Music.
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Please give it a go as many of us want to see this material released. The Steve Hoffman site is well moderated (mods are called Gorts) and the wealth of knowledge in music, visual arts, etc. is astounding. It’s a very large forum (forums, fora?) so many people there. I’ll see you over there and back here at the Batcave.