Batman's upcoming marriage?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

High C

Re: Batman's upcoming marriage?

Post by High C »

SPOILER: A lawyer from England says Batman already is married to a woman named Mrs. Harriet Batman, so it looks like the wedding with CW will have to be called off. :D
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

High C wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 am SPOILER: A lawyer from England says Batman already is married to a woman named Mrs. Harriet Batman, so it looks like the wedding with CW will have to be called off. :D
Nailed it.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

High C wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 am SPOILER: A lawyer from England says Batman already is married to a woman named Mrs. Harriet Batman, so it looks like the wedding with CW will have to be called off. :D
Yikes. He's better off with Catwoman! :mrgreen:
Beneath Wayne Manor
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Maybe someone who's still reading these things can tell me: who is getting married?

That is to say, does the world know Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle are tying the knot, or does it know Batman and Catwoman are to be wed? it doesn't add up that Joker would "wait for an invitation" to Bruce Wayne's wedding, but he might decide he should be at Batman's. Let's say for argument's sake that the "super community" has heard about Batman and Catwoman getting hitched, and that's how Joker knows. Meanwhile the society columns are full of stories about Bruce and Selina's nuptials, so how can the Joker not put 2 and 2 together? Or does the Joker already know Batman's ID in current continuity? Indeed, the rest of the world has the clues to figure it out now, too.

When (if) we get to the ceremony, will we see Bruce and Selina at the altar, with their costumed alter-egos hovering symbolically above them, or will Batman and Catwoman actually exchange their vows in costume? I would say that's too campy, but considering we now have about 5 Robins in action and Batman has a second batcave on the Moon, I'm guessing the goofball sensibilities of the Schiff era Batman are somehow co-existing with the sadistic excesses of modern comics.

Frankly, it would be colossally stupid for Batman to reveal that he has a wife who's also in costume. Instantly both of them would have a new point of vulnerability to their many foes.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
High C

Post by High C »

SprangFan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:09 am but considering we now have about 5 Robins in action
1966 Catwoman: 'And all they're interested in is BASEBALL!' <sighs>
SprangFan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:09 am
and Batman has a second batcave on the Moon, I'm guessing the goofball sensibilities of the Schiff era Batman are somehow co-existing with the sadistic excesses of modern comics.
Good luck to King Tut and everyone else in finding that Batcave.

Siren: 'Men, stuff James Gordon in the trunk of the Bat-Spaceship so he can find out Batman's true identity. What a brilliant plan, if I do say so myself.'
Andante: 'But, Boss, there's no cellphone service on the moon.'
Siren: 'Drat!'

Alfred: 'Sir, I've prepared fresh glasses of Tang for you and Master Robin.'
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

And folks say the tv show was silly.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Thanks for the write-up, High C! I think it's fair to say that the new comics are written for a different audience than us. The fact that our Batman is alluded to at all is still pretty neat, though.
- Boy Genius
zarm106

Post by zarm106 »

Jthree

Post by Jthree »

I wish they had more "fun" moments in this wedding scenario. It's still too dark, IMHO.

--jthree
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I think the spoilers are fake to surprise people.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Keith Mayo wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:00 am And folks say the tv show was silly.
Well, the comics never fell to the level of Batman and Joker sufing, or characters turned into human surfboards, or frills on Batgirl's motorcycle ('casue she's..a girl!).
Beneath Wayne Manor
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 pm
Keith Mayo wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:00 am And folks say the tv show was silly.
Well, the comics never fell to the level of Batman and Joker sufing
Got pretty close in worlds finest comics, issue 36!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

High C wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:38 pm
Jthree wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:17 pm Don't know why today's artists have to gross out the audience. There should be more fun to the event, and all I can see is dark and gritty.
THIS. Heaven forbid anything could be a ray of hope. Dark, dark, dark.
I agree with the above. I've actually found I've pretty much pulled out of comic fandom. Haven't been to see a superhero movie since Captain America: Winter Soldier and haven't bothered with DC's on-screen garbage since the god-awful train-wreck Man of Steel. Last comic convention I went to was in 2015 as I was bored with what they've become (it's all nothing but overrated Frank Miller/Jim Lee Batman and Harley Quinn) - although I will be going to the Montreal one this weekend only to meet Chuck Norris. Now that I think of it, I haven't even been to my comic shop since last fall as the collectibles, for me, have dried up and I haven't bought comics regularly since 2000 with the exception of Batman '66 which I stopped with issue #12 as it was getting ridiculous.

If comics are fun, great, I'm there. When they become politically-correct, adult, dark and overly violent in a mistaken attempt to try to gain "respect and sophistication" then count me out.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

SprangFan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:09 am Frankly, it would be colossally stupid for Batman to reveal that he has a wife who's also in costume. Instantly both of them would have a new point of vulnerability to their many foes.
Colossally stupid? SprangFan, we're talking DC Comics here! :roll:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yellow Oval wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:11 am

If comics are fun, great, I'm there. When they become politically-correct, adult, dark and overly violent in a mistaken attempt to try to gain "respect and sophistication" then count me out.
Agree 100%-- there are a lot of great comics that do come out and are worth checking out. Harrow County, BPRD, Hellboy and Witchfinder (all from Dark Horse).

For superheroes you have to look harder-- Black Hammer from Dark Horse is good, Mike Allred did BUG for DC Comics and that was a fun trip. Image Comics founder Erik Larsen does an occasional issue of CRACK COMICS which is a golden age title with some fun characters in it.

Cave Carson from Young Animals (A DC Imprint) is based on Silver Age characters and it's great. I'm also going to plug Blackwood which I work on with my wife and Evan Dorkin, and it's something I'd read even if I weren't working on it.

So there are good comics that are fun coming out you just have to look a little harder for them.