Shazam! trailer

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Mack

Shazam! trailer

Post by John Mack »

It's definitely towards the campy light hearted side but does Yellow Oval give it a pan or a thumbs up? :lol:
https://youtu.be/go6GEIrcvFY
Music. BAT! Music.
Bat-Brony92

Re: Shazam! trailer

Post by Bat-Brony92 »

Oh heck yes I'm going to see this! LMAO! #thumbsup
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

BIG meets Superman
Should be fun!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

It misses the point of the Billy/Cap relationship, but so have the last 30 years worth of comics. At least it looks fun, which alone is a breath of fresh air for DC films.

I'll probably catch it on Netflix.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Apparently, his name is Shazam, not Captain Mavel. From what I've been told, the wizard's name was Shazam.
In the '60s, Marvel Comics trademarked the name Captain Marvel for their own Kree alien superhero, which meant when DC licensed the Fawcett characters in 1972, they had the Fawcett character named Captain Marvel, but couldn't call the comic book Captain Marvel, so they used his transformation cry “Shazam!” for the title.
Music. BAT! Music.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

As I opined on another board, if his name is "Shazam," it should be impossible for anyone in the film to know it. No one would guess it, since it's not a "real" word, and he can't tell anyone if asked, since saying it will change him back to Billy. So the only way for anyone to know he's "Shazam" is if they witness the transformation in progress.

Maybe the solution is for him to have no "super-name" at all, like Ralph in "The Greatest American Hero"; in the suit, he was just "Ralph with powers." Likewise saying "Shazam" creates a being who's just "Billy with powers." Anyway, that would be accurate based on the trailer, since unlike the classic comics, Captain Marvel is not being presented as a separate and distinct being.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

John Mack wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 pm Apparently, his name is Shazam, not Captain Mavel. From what I've been told, the wizard's name was Shazam.
In the '60s, Marvel Comics trademarked the name Captain Marvel for their own Kree alien superhero, which meant when DC licensed the Fawcett characters in 1972, they had the Fawcett character named Captain Marvel, but couldn't call the comic book Captain Marvel, so they used his transformation cry “Shazam!” for the title.
https://youtu.be/2e9xwyOamZk
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I saw this trailer the other day and my very first thought was..this is a remake of BIG with a superhero twist. I don’t think he was ever portrayed as an adult with a kids voice, and, I am not sure what’s up with the glowing lightning bolt either. Is it light, yea, a little stupid and fun, yea, will I go see it, nope! Looks nothing like the show from the 70s or the comics, and, please correct me if I am wrong here, his name was Capt. Marvel long before Marvel created the female Capt Marvel. Personally, I think the super hero genre of movies needs to stop already.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

John Mack wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:34 pm It's definitely towards the campy light hearted side but does Yellow Oval give it a pan or a thumbs up? :lol:
https://youtu.be/go6GEIrcvFY
It appears like a step in the right direction, but seems to have already gone way overboard on goofiness. I also don't get the studios' habitual insistence on corrupting heroes, i.e., Captain Marvel is seen drinking beer from a six-pack. I won't straight out give it a pan, but maybe a Peter Pan for the emphasis on the BIG or 'man who won't grow up' concept.

The name thing is easy. They should just call him the Big Red Cheese (as I have a feeling the film will be cheesy, especially with that badly over-muscled rubber suit). The Chuck actor was, IMHO, a bad choice for the role.

I agree with Batman65 that this won't measure up to the old Saturday morning Shazam show in either character or even the awesome theme song. I also fully agree that the superhero movie thing should stop. They haven't given us the heroes we know and love, but the jaded, depressed ones "they" think we should have and that's the problem. Since when did the society's obsession start with all things darker of human nature? It would be inspiring and uplifting to start promoting the better qualities as we once used to. I won't be seeing this one either as I swore off going to the theater a few years ago. I refuse to support current Hollywood.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Batman65 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:55 am I saw this trailer the other day and my very first thought was..this is a remake of BIG with a superhero twist. I don’t think he was ever portrayed as an adult with a kids voice, and, I am not sure what’s up with the glowing lightning bolt either. Is it light, yea, a little stupid and fun, yea, will I go see it, nope! Looks nothing like the show from the 70s or the comics, and, please correct me if I am wrong here, his name was Capt. Marvel long before Marvel created the female Capt Marvel. Personally, I think the super hero genre of movies needs to stop already.
Nope. See my post and Keith's on the whole Captain MAR-VEL, Marvel, Shazam thing.
Music. BAT! Music.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I will stand corrected, but for me, and possibly many others, that's the only thing I ever knew him by.
dell

Post by dell »

I just saw the trailer on youtube and I can say that I am not impressed. Way to silly. Have they already jumped to season 3?
dell
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

dell wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:18 am I just saw the trailer on youtube and I can say that I am not impressed. Way to silly. Have they already jumped to season 3?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Music. BAT! Music.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Shazam is actually an acronym counting down all superpowers Shazam/Captain Marvel posseses, and specifically, which greek Gods/legendary figures they are derived from.

S - wisdom of Solomon

H - strength of Hercules

A - stamina of Atlas (including his invulnerability)
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Keith Mayo wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:14 pm Shazam is actually an acronym counting down all superpowers Shazam/Captain Marvel posseses, and specifically, which greek Gods/legendary figures they are derived from.

S - wisdom of Solomon

H - strength of Hercules

A - stamina of Atlas (including his invulnerability)
Followed by ZAM!! The sound of Captain Marvel eating too many cans of Heinz beans!
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"