New Tweeterhead '70s/'80s Batman Statue

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Yellow Oval

New Tweeterhead '70s/'80s Batman Statue

Post by Yellow Oval »

Tweeterhead has a new Batman statue coming out next year. I really like it as it's the Neal Adams style. I haven't invested in Tweeterhead because it is quite pricey and, being a completionist-type collector, the '66 line - although absolutely astounding - would either break my bank or put me in divorce court! :lol: In any event, I will be getting his one.

https://tweeterhead.com/product/super-p ... td-ed-250/

As an aside, looking around at their entire collection the craftsmanship is truly second to none, in my opinion. Really wish my lottery tickets would come in at some point.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
AndyFish

Re: New Tweeterhead '70s/'80s Batman Statue

Post by AndyFish »

When I saw this a little while back I immediately thought of the Drew Struzan Batman Poster I had as a kid.

SteveA

Post by SteveA »

I love Tweeterhead, they are my go to for statues. I've gotten the 66 and classic Batman line and the Munsters. I did order the Super Powers Batman and Catwoman also Martian manhunter. While the Batman one looks magnificent It does look a lot like a rehash of the 2015 SideShow Premium Format Batman Statue. The Same pose, same base, the only real difference is the right arm instead of being at a right angle is down at his side. They both have the option of a bat-a-Rang in the hand or just a fist. I still love it though. I passed on their Superman, the undercut in the pecks is too drastic and looks funny, I would love to see a Curt Swan Superman. And again it looks a lot like the SideShow Premium Superman.
Attachments
Batman_Sideshow-vs-Tweeterhead-02.jpg
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:30 am When I saw this a little while back I immediately thought of the Drew Struzan Batman Poster I had as a kid.

Holy moly I never knew he was the one who did that Batman poster. I've always liked his work but never knew that Batman poster was one of his
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Comic Link auctioned off the original pencil sketch for the piece, and it's nearly as impressive as the finished work. Took many years to find out Struzan was the artist. This was hands down my favorite Batman poster I had as a kid.

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Szabol wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:18 pm Interesting version on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372392939401?u ... noapp=true
Yes this is the full prototype one of a kind Batman statue. Tweeterhead is auctioning it off to help the family of Captain Joe. He was a Batman collector that recently passed away. The Super Powers version they will be selling is the same as this one with the exception that the base has been trimmed down. They have said this was to make it the same height as the Robin one they will be releasing later on.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Andy,

I'm absolutely envious you had the Struzan poster. I wanted it so badly back then but couldn't find it anywhere - kind of like when I was trying to get the KISS 1976 bicentennial poster, but like all things KISS back in the mid-to-late '70s, it sold out like wildfire everywhere! That Struzan image is hauntingly hypnotic. :shock:

SteveA,

I also really wanted that Premium Format statue, but at around $700 Canadian I just couldn't do it. The Tweeterhead is the same style but, at this point, way more affordable and just as nice so this one I can do. I have a feeling somewhere down the line I'll look for the Premium Format on Ebay and stupidly pay more than if I would have just sprung for it in the first place.

Now, having said all this, for some reason I'm in a '70s mood and probably will go watch KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park. "Easy Catman, they are serious!" :lol:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I still have the poster, though it's a bit rough around the edges at this point. As a kid, I could never decide how I felt about the cape, which seemed too thin somehow, allowing light to pass through. Almost like one of those plastic rain ponchos. But I loved the super-creepy eyes.

If anything, I was a bigger fan of Struzan's Superman poster from the same line. To this day it's probably my favorite image of Superman in any medium, which is saying a lot for this major fan of Curt Swan, Wayne Boring and Dick Sprang.

"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

SprangFan wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:52 am

If anything, I was a bigger fan of Struzan's Superman poster from the same line. To this day it's probably my favorite image of Superman in any medium, which is saying a lot for this major fan of Curt Swan, Wayne Boring and Dick Sprang.

Me too, I have the Superman poster in my collection. If i remember right there was also a; Wonder Woman, Shazam/Captain Marvel, Spiderman, and Captain America posters. There may have been a Hulk one too.
All are stunning and worthy of placement in any collection.
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

I have almost all the full size “ thought factory posters
I Have Batman, Superman both of these were Struzan BUT on Superman someone repainted the face . I also have WW, Spider-Man ( Struzan did a pencil sketch of Spidey but was rejected.
I have Hulk
I’m missing Capt. Marvel ( Shazam) Thor and Capt. America
The original s were like 23” X 35 but they have reissues that are like 18 “x 25”

Awesome posters
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:30 am When I saw this a little while back I immediately thought of the Drew Struzan Batman Poster I had as a kid.

What a great memory. I had that poster, along with the Superman poster from the same company (Thought Factory). I always loved superhero paintings with mood like this.
Beneath Wayne Manor
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I didn't know Superman's face was by a different artist. What in the world was it with Superman, anyway? Murphy Anderson re-drew the face on Kirby's Superman in "Jimmy Olsen," a Curt Swan face was pasted over Alex Toth's Superman on the "Super-Friends" tabloid and recently I learned even Curt Swan had his Lois Lane faces sometimes redrawn by Kurt Schaffenberger in the Silver Age.

Anyway, my brother and I never made it beyond Superman and Batman in this poster series. If we'd wanted Wonder Woman, we'd have gone for Lynda. Yow!
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."