Mego line heading to Target stores

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
greatlakes6

Re: Mego line heading to Target stores

Post by greatlakes6 »

I still have the Gabriel Lone Ranger sealed in the box. I want to open it so bad.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

greatlakes6 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 pm I still have the Gabriel Lone Ranger sealed in the box. I want to open it so bad.
Greatlakes6,

Don't do it! Or, at least if you do don't mess with the mask. I had the figure back in '73. Bought it at the K-Mart in Farmington Hills and the first time I tried to remove the mask (it was 'supposedly' removable) the rubber sling snapped and that was it for the Masked Man. Don't know how old your figure is, but if it's an original issue the rubber mask would be quite old and brittle as well.

For the record, I miss 'em all - Kresge's, K-Mart, Woolco, Woolworth, and so on... There's something very dry and empty about only having Wallyworld, Target, and Lex Luthor's online Amazon company.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

"Lex Luthor's online Amazon company"

OMG! I'm laughing so hard that tears are welling up!!!!!
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I remember the Gabriel Lone Ranger figure being the most beautiful action figure I owned. I don't think it's normal for a kid to stop and admire the craftsmanship that goes into sewn outfits and little guns and so on, but I sure did. It probably helped that I had the slap-dash "quality" of the Mego figs to compare it to.

It's funny I don't remember the mask being removable, though. Why would you even do that? The Ranger never took the mask off except to make himself up in disguises. And without the mask, it's just a cowboy figure. Odd choice.

BTW, my brother had Tonto and we had both Silver and Scout. All long gone now.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

Yellow Oval wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:17 am
greatlakes6 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 pm I still have the Gabriel Lone Ranger sealed in the box. I want to open it so bad.
Greatlakes6,

Don't do it! Or, at least if you do don't mess with the mask. I had the figure back in '73. Bought it at the K-Mart in Farmington Hills and the first time I tried to remove the mask (it was 'supposedly' removable) the rubber sling snapped and that was it for the Masked Man. Don't know how old your figure is, but if it's an original issue the rubber mask would be quite old and brittle as well.

For the record, I miss 'em all - Kresge's, K-Mart, Woolco, Woolworth, and so on... There's something very dry and empty about only having Wallyworld, Target, and Lex Luthor's online Amazon company.
I'm not going to open it, no worries. The mask was removeable, I actually have an extra one in my dresser. I bought mine at the KMart at Tel Twelve Mall.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

Great article, thanks for the link.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

The author and I have been friends since I first discovered the toy collecting community on the internet back in '97.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

If you like the Lone Ranger, you also need a Zorro figure that was only sold abroad.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

The new Mego Dracula is a beauty. Possibly one of the best new Mego style figures of the current revival
To the Bat-Elephant!!
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Just picked up Dracula from my local target, which only just stocked the figures. I have to agree with TBolt it is astounding! Although with the new cape I have had to be extra careful as the material picks up fuzz and various other things like hairs, far more easily than other capes I've Had.....
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

AndyFish wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:49 pm Mego never did The Lone Ranger-- that was Gabriel-- and I agree they were great. Slightly bigger than a Mego though.
I realize it wasn't part of the same line, but Mego actually did two versions of the Lone Ranger. They were both part of the "Super Softies" line. The first was a 19-inch figure. The second was a 24-inch "Talking Super Softie".

The Gabriel/Marx figures were great, but I'd like to have a "Talking Super Softie" Lone Ranger... especially if they could arrange to use existing recordings of Clayton Moore.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Holy mego news batman! On the mego museum forums, a photo of an endcap that had frankenstein and Gorm out on the pegs! Another observation was that all of wave one was marked down to 12.99...also a wizard of oz two pack has surfaced on eBay!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Thanks for the heads-up. I already have the Diamond retro-Mego green Gorn and this is the same sculpt. Only recently I hunted up the original Mego Gorn, who is, of course, a brown version of Marvel's "The Lizard" in a Klingon uniform. One of Mego's more... bizarre efforts.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)