BatRadio Build

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
PropReplicator2

BatRadio Build

Post by PropReplicator2 »

So after many years of waiting, I've finally decided to leap into making my BatRadio. Unlike the original, this will be made out of layered styrene sheets instead of wood and the insides will be neater than the original as well for a more aesthetically pleasing look ;).

I started with some basic images of the original prop, scaled by the 2003 Batman costume and prop guide, and made templates for the front and back using the inages to guide my lines to make it as accurately shaped as possible.

I also found some perfect brass expanded metal for the disk on the front as well as some frosted plexiglass for the light cover. I will try to update this thread as I can.

Thanks for looking,
Mike M.
The goal when making a perfect replica is to not focus on the perfections, but perfecting the imperfections. :ugeek:
ironfist

Re: BatRadio Build

Post by ironfist »

This is awesome. I’m also kind of shocked that no ones done a 3D print STL of this yet?
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Looking great.
Thanks for sharing the original prop pics.
PropReplicator2

ironfist wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:15 pm This is awesome. I’m also kind of shocked that no ones done a 3D print STL of this yet?
Thanks! And yeah I was surprised too.. eh I'm partial to scratch building anyways. What would be cool is a STL of the cowl shell.. that would be interesting for sure!
The goal when making a perfect replica is to not focus on the perfections, but perfecting the imperfections. :ugeek:
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Great idea in using the styrene sheets. Looking forward to the finished product.
Meule

Post by Meule »

That looks pretty cool so far, can't wait to see the finished Batradio
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
PropReplicator2

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the support! I'll be pouring the molds later tonight (2 -piece mold for the body, and 1-piece dump mold for the back cover plate). I'll make several cast in black onyx resin when I get some time this next week :D
PropReplicator2

For all those on the RPF here is a link to my build over there: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=293597
PropReplicator2

Long time no update!! I have a new mold made for these and have gotten some pretty good casting out of them for the main body and the back plate. Next up, the electrical components come in this week!
PropReplicator2

Here is one after paint, and the brass screws holding the back plate on. Please note that in the first picture, there is a noticable "lump" of what looks like dripping paint. That's not what it is. The image exaggerates a small c-scar that I put in the sculpt to mimick peeling wood. It's definitely not that noticable in person.
PropReplicator2

With the lights, and body finished with the exception of the brass circle and button on the front here is a quick video overview of the body, and the lighting test: https://youtu.be/1ky9S1UEWCc
PropReplicator2

Here is the finished product: Image
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Delicious!
Meule

Post by Meule »

Congrats on a job well done
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
PropReplicator2

Thank you for your kindness citizens! The support is much appreciated ;)