Batman in the 1970s Podcast - launching Sept. 1st

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BAT 77

Batman in the 1970s Podcast - launching Sept. 1st

Post by BAT 77 »

Greetings, citizens! Long time lurker and occasional poster back in the day.

I have come out of my Batcave to get back into some Batman '66 conversation, but I also would like to announce my new podcast.

"BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood" is a podcast mini-series that will look back at the many incarnations of Batman and Robin from that weird and wonderful decade we call the 1970s. Topics will include a review of all 16 episodes of the '77 Filmation series (starring Adam West & Burt Ward), the two volumes of Power Records audio stories, an overview of Batman & Robin on the Superfriends & the Scooby-Doo Movies (featuring Olan Soule & Casey Kasem), highlights from the DC comics, toys & other merchandising, and last (and certainly least), a review of the two "Legends of the Superheroes" "specials".

The podcast will launch September 1 with the pilot episode where I share my childhood memories of Batman in the 1970s. You can listen to the trailer now and subscribe to the podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com. Hopefully the podcast will also be listed on iTunes in the next few days.

I look forward to sharing this podcast with you all and hope you enjoy it.

Thanks - JB
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
Dan E Kool

Re: Batman in the 1970s Podcast - launching Sept. 1st

Post by Dan E Kool »

I love that graphic of Batman listening to his Bat iPod. Did you make that?
- Boy Genius
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

Dan E Kool wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:16 am I love that graphic of Batman listening to his Bat iPod. Did you make that?
Yes, I did. :D

I used "Paintbrush" which is a Mac freeware version of MS-Paint.

Thanks - JB
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

One of my favorite toys from 1977 was the Marx Sky Heroes Batman. The next time I saw these in stores, it had been rebranded with the Remco toys logo.
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 8624 times
Music. BAT! Music.
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

John Mack wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:44 pm One of my favorite toys from 1977 was the Marx Sky Heroes Batman. The next time I saw these in stores, it had been rebranded with the Remco toys logo.
I think I had one of those! Probably didn't last for long as I usually played my toys to death when I was a kid.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I'm looking forward to listening to this. I became a Batman fan in the 1970s, too, through reruns of the TV show. I do hope you will feature the comics a lot. IMO, the 70s was the best period ever for Batman comics.
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

This is my era of Batman growing up...afternoon reruns of the 66 series, Power Records, 100 page giant comics and tabloid editions. The comics were taking a more serious turn, but the merchandising was well informed by the remnants of the live action series. I look forward to looking back with you!
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

gothosmansion wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:42 pm I'm looking forward to listening to this. I became a Batman fan in the 1970s, too, through reruns of the TV show. I do hope you will feature the comics a lot. IMO, the 70s was the best period ever for Batman comics.
Certainly the most memorable and definitive for me. I'm planning at least one episode about the comics, but it will probably expand to at least two episodes or even more. I will definitely be covering the Adams/O'Neill run and the Englehart/Rogers run, and I also plan to do an overview of Brave and the Bold, World's Finest and Justice League of America. I'm planning to bring in a local comics podcaster on as a guest when I talk about the comics, and I'm open to any suggestions you have as to what to cover.

Incidentally, every Wednesday I plan on posting a comic book cover on the BAT 77 Facebook page for "New Comics Day", and the one I posted yesterday (which is the first) happens to be your avatar.

JB
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

This sounds grand. I was 10 when the 1977 Batman cartoon aired, I believe on CBS if memory serves. Bat-Mite was rather annoying, but that seemed to be the mold back then for super hero cartoon shows (think Wendy & Wonder Dog and later Gleep the monkey on "SuperFriends")....

Looking forward to this. 1977 was one of my favorite years overall too!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

This era was bitter sweet for me. When Batman's ears started turning into devil horns and the tone of the comic books started becoming dark, I faded away from the comic books. On the other hand, I got to see Adam and Burts at World of Wheels shows and had the time of my life.
On a different note as it were, the Power records were fun. I especially liked the Riddler story, If Music be the Food of Death. Also, you may be interested to know, that the Batman Theme used on that LP was Sun Ra's version from his 1966 record under the alias of the Sensational guitars of Dan and Dale.
Music. BAT! Music.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

BAT 77 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:26 pm
gothosmansion wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:42 pm I'm looking forward to listening to this. I became a Batman fan in the 1970s, too, through reruns of the TV show. I do hope you will feature the comics a lot. IMO, the 70s was the best period ever for Batman comics.
Certainly the most memorable and definitive for me. I'm planning at least one episode about the comics, but it will probably expand to at least two episodes or even more. I will definitely be covering the Adams/O'Neill run and the Englehart/Rogers run, and I also plan to do an overview of Brave and the Bold, World's Finest and Justice League of America. I'm planning to bring in a local comics podcaster on as a guest when I talk about the comics, and I'm open to any suggestions you have as to what to cover.

Incidentally, every Wednesday I plan on posting a comic book cover on the BAT 77 Facebook page for "New Comics Day", and the one I posted yesterday (which is the first) happens to be your avatar.

JB
I'm not on facebook, but do you have a link to the page where we can see it?

Oh, man, I think you're going to need much more than two episodes for the comics. Other than O'Neil/Adams and Englehart Rogers, there was the Goodwin run in Detective, some of Frank Robbins's mystery stories, the Bat-Murderer series by Len Wein and (mostly) Jim Aparo. I really love the Len Wein/Irv Novick run that started at the end of the 70s and ran on into the 80s. There were some great "one-offs" by Michael Golden and Bernie Wrightson (in Swamp Thing), too. Plus, I can name a few single issue stories that are really great and probably get overlooked because they're not part of a run.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

BAT 77 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:20 pm Greetings, citizens! Long time lurker and occasional poster back in the day.

I have come out of my Batcave to get back into some Batman '66 conversation, but I also would like to announce my new podcast.

"BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood" is a podcast mini-series that will look back at the many incarnations of Batman and Robin from that weird and wonderful decade we call the 1970s. Topics will include a review of all 16 episodes of the '77 Filmation series (starring Adam West & Burt Ward), the two volumes of Power Records audio stories, an overview of Batman & Robin on the Superfriends & the Scooby-Doo Movies (featuring Olan Soule & Casey Kasem), highlights from the DC comics, toys & other merchandising, and last (and certainly least), a review of the two "Legends of the Superheroes" "specials".
Interesting period, but a lot of very rough spots outside of the comics. DC had successfully moved Batman back to his serious, detective roots in the late 60s with the Frank Robbins/Irv Novick period, opening the door to one of its greatest heights (creatively, and with the non-comic media attention it received) with Adams/O'Neil. At least there was a conscious, mature direction for Batman comics in the 1970s

The licensing was another matter--a mixed bag sending equally mixed messages to consumers; the Neal Adams version of the Bat-characters appeared everywhere, from the 1973 Our Way Studios stickers, to puzzles, drinking glasses, 7-Eleven cups and Mego World's Greatest Super-Heroes playset box art, the Adams Batman was everywhere (whether Adams own work was used, or work from artists employed by his Continuity Studios), along with Dick Giordano contributions (e.g. Aurora's 1974 reissue of the Batman model kit, now part of the re-titled Comic Scenes series and featuring a Giordano-illustrated comic). All of that work was a mirror of what was going on in the comics, but it sat right next to products still using Infantino/Anderson's "standing" Batman and Robin figures (and other Infantino/Anderson licensing art) from the same period.

Personally, I accepted it all, being a fan of all of the talents involved, but you would never see such all over the place branding today.
I look forward to sharing this podcast with you all and hope you enjoy it.

Thanks - JB
It should be a funtime!
Beneath Wayne Manor
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

gothosmansion wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:13 am
I'm not on facebook, but do you have a link to the page where we can see it?
The link is in my sigfile - facebook.com/bat77podcast. The page should be viewable to the public (i.e. non-FB users)

Oh, man, I think you're going to need much more than two episodes for the comics. Other than O'Neil/Adams and Englehart Rogers, there was the Goodwin run in Detective, some of Frank Robbins's mystery stories, the Bat-Murderer series by Len Wein and (mostly) Jim Aparo. I really love the Len Wein/Irv Novick run that started at the end of the 70s and ran on into the 80s. There were some great "one-offs" by Michael Golden and Bernie Wrightson (in Swamp Thing), too. Plus, I can name a few single issue stories that are really great and probably get overlooked because they're not part of a run.
Thanks for the suggestions. I may pick your brain for any further ideas once I get to the comics. Once I have the first couple of episodes out, I will put out the call for anyone who would like to be a guest on the podcast.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Sure, I'll be happy to recommend some comics and I'm sure others will as well.

If you're going to get really into the comics, I suggest picking up a copy of The Batcave Companion. It is the most in depth book on the Silver and Bronze Age comics that I've seen.

I'm also willing to write my thoughts on some comics, but I don't think you would want me on a podcast. I sound like Jethro Bodine when I talk.
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

gothosmansion wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:52 pm Sure, I'll be happy to recommend some comics and I'm sure others will as well.

If you're going to get really into the comics, I suggest picking up a copy of The Batcave Companion. It is the most in depth book on the Silver and Bronze Age comics that I've seen.
Thanks. I've seen that book at my local comics shops (of which there are plenty in Chicago), and I'll make a point to pick up a copy next time I see it. I have Volumes 2 & 3 of Batman by Neal Adams which covers his 70s work starting with "The Secret of the Waiting Graves". I'm not sure how extensive I'll be with the comics as most of my 70s Batman childhood revolved around the cartoons, Power Records and toys, but as I do my research I'm sure I'll find much more to talk about.
I'm also willing to write my thoughts on some comics, but I don't think you would want me on a podcast. I sound like Jethro Bodine when I talk.
Letters are always welcome. I'll start reading listener feedback on episode four as the first three episodes have already been recorded, and I'll be posting links to new episodes on this board, so it'll be easy for anyone wanting to write in to just respond here.