Annoying words

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatmanFan102

Annoying words

Post by BatmanFan102 »

I've been watching much of Season 2, and some of season 3 recently as I'm blessed to own the complete DVD series.

There are 3 words that were so overused, two examples are by two villains, and the third by various molls of villains during season 3.

In season 2, Otto Preminger's Mr. Freeze saying "Wild" made me want to jump into the set and turn him into a tray of ice cubes.

Also in season 2, Carolyn Jones' Marsha saying "Dah'ling" ad nauseaum.

Finally in season 3, many of the molls would refer to the male villains as "Poopsie". That was like nails on a chalkboard to me. King Tut's moll said it, I think one of Penguin's molls did, and I know in "The Joker's Flying Saucer" the annoying moll said it too.

Just curious if there are any single words that were uttered far too often for any of your liking?
High C

Re: Annoying words

Post by High C »

I actually liked 'Vild!' but agree with the others.

'Eggski' by Olga.

'Ohhhhhhh, Batmannnnnnnnnnn' by Venus.

Any word out of the mouth of Baby Jane Towser.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

Hi High C, and thanks for the very quick reply. Yes, very good examples!

"Vild" was okay, but not 50 blessed times LOL, it seemed he said it at least that many times. Next time I watch that 2 part episode I should keep a tally to see.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Robin's holy this and holy that. Totally agree with Catwoman on that score. Having him killed, not so much.
Music. BAT! Music.
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

I honestly thought this post was going to be about the fight words (ZAP, POW, etc) which I don't find to be annoying at all. :D
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Not words, so much, but I sure got tired of Astin's Riddler doing his muscle flex.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

BatmanFan102 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:16 am In season 2, Otto Preminger's Mr. Freeze saying "Wild" made me want to jump into the set and turn him into a tray of ice cubes.
Agreed. It was bad enough that Batman was more of a cartoon character by that point in season two, but the loss of Sanders as Freeze was a blow the series would never shake off, with Preminger being a total Saturday morning farce with that "vild" business and the make up.
Also in season 2, Carolyn Jones' Marsha saying "Dah'ling" ad nauseaum.
Yeah, Jones pretty much transferring her Morticia act to Marsha was lazy, leading to a boring villain.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:17 am Yeah, Jones pretty much transferring her Morticia act to Marsha was lazy, leading to a boring villain.
Was it scripted that way, or was Ms Jones ad libbing?

Hardly her fault if the writers based aspects of the character on Morticia.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Therin of Andor wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:18 pm
BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:17 am Yeah, Jones pretty much transferring her Morticia act to Marsha was lazy, leading to a boring villain.
Was it scripted that way, or was Ms Jones ad libbing?

Hardly her fault if the writers based aspects of the character on Morticia.
I'm not sure, but its not as if she could be forced to ape her Morticia role "or else".
Beneath Wayne Manor
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

"Vild" was ... wild! Love it. Chief O'Hara's "Begorrah!" ( "By God" in Irish slang) bugs the stuff out of me. Stafford Repp, was great in season 1 but was really milking it by season 2. It became very annoying. A decent director would have reeled him in. I'd have cut his screen time in half & brought back Inspector Bash. :) By the third season I was happy to see him nearly drowned in "Gotham Park Lake". And laughed when The Penguin said, "That Irish stew looks like he's asleep even when he's awake!" And yes, that was Chief O'Hara on "Gotham"!

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

I'm not annoyed by this phrase, just curious, as I hear it used in other shows of the time. It's obviously exited the lexicon, but I always wonder what 'tut tut' is meant to convey.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:52 am I'm not annoyed by this phrase, just curious, as I hear it used in other shows of the time. It's obviously exited the lexicon, but I always wonder what 'tut tut' is meant to convey.
"Tut-tut in British. (pronounced as alveolar clicks; spelling pron ˈtʌtˈtʌt ) exclamation. An exclamation of mild reprimand, disapproval, or surprise. verb -tuts, -tutting or -tutted."
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... sh/tut-tut

Still used often here Down Under. ie. "You forgot your homework? Tut-tut."
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I think it comes from the sound of clicking ones tongue.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Progress Pigment wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:15 am "And yes, that was Chief O'Hara on "Gotham"!
Neat!
- Boy Genius
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

Therin of Andor wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:20 am
Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:52 am I'm not annoyed by this phrase, just curious, as I hear it used in other shows of the time. It's obviously exited the lexicon, but I always wonder what 'tut tut' is meant to convey.
"Tut-tut in British. (pronounced as alveolar clicks; spelling pron ˈtʌtˈtʌt ) exclamation. An exclamation of mild reprimand, disapproval, or surprise. verb -tuts, -tutting or -tutted."
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... sh/tut-tut

Still used often here Down Under. ie. "You forgot your homework? Tut-tut."
Thanks Therin of Andor - that makes perfect sense in the context of where I've heard it used, especially by Penguin.

And cool to hear that it's still in use Down Under.