Did Any of the Villains Scare You?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

Did Any of the Villains Scare You?

Post by Yellow Oval »

We now look back fondly on all the villains and the actors who portrayed them, but when you watched the show as a kid did any of the villains actually scare you? I know the Joker didn't scare me as I always loved clowns - especially the scary ones, but the Riddler, when he was wearing his mask is what did it for me. On certain angles, like the wax statue episode, you couldn't see his eyes so it was a darkened, hollow look in the eye slats combined with the evil smile and Gorshin's distinctive giggle that would make my hair stand up on end! I always found the scene where he jumped up from under the stage behind the beauty contestants and back down again also creepy for some reason as well as afterwards when he pops up from the manhole in a distant shot laughing at Batman and Robin. The Riddler, for me, was the scariest and creepiest when I was a kid.

Funny enough, I also recall one of my friend's mother banning the show in their house because he had nightmares of the dragon that popped up in the steaming cauldron of Aunt Hilda, - Marcia, Queen of Diamonds' witch Aunt. Imagine that... Batman went PG-14 at one house. :lol:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Riddler Fan

Re: Did Any of the Villains Scare You?

Post by Riddler Fan »

The Riddler shocked me because he was wearing a green leotard and tights, plus his twisted laughter. The Mad Hatter's hypnotic hat scared me a bit.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Tallulah Bankhead as Black Widow. Still today makes me shutter. Her voice: "Bat dolllllllllllll." ***SHIVER*** :o

My second "creeper" villain is Van Johnson as Minstrel. Just the whole singing thing was soooo creepy to me. BTW: Did anyone REALLY think he could sing well? I mean REALLY???

John
Music. BAT! Music.
High C

Post by High C »

Batguitarist wrote:Tallulah Bankhead as Black Widow. Still today makes me shutter. Her voice: "Bat dolllllllllllll." ***SHIVER*** :o
Have to admit, Tallulah scared me the LEAST of anyone this side of Ffogg and Peasoup, who were more pompous than threatening. Even when I was 8-9 years old, I was like why is Batman being bothered by this old lady?
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

The Joker scared the daylights out of me, especially when in and out of focus in closeup in the television broadcast, taunting Batman (Joker Is Wild?)!
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I think the only time I got scared as a kid was by that silly giant clam in the Zodiac trilogy. Silly me!

OTOH, I think Mad Hatter with that crazy red moustache and eyebrows had a particularly scary looking quality when I was a kid.
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Yes - the giant clam was etched in my memory (and probably a few nightmares) as a kid. Still remember Robin's boot the only limb sticking out of it! I had very bad images in my mind of what must have happened to the rest of him!!
Also False Face freaked me out as a kid - the distorted look of his face wearing the mask was all too creepy for this young Aussie!
Cheers,
Terry
High C

Post by High C »

epaddon wrote:I think the only time I got scared as a kid was by that silly giant clam in the Zodiac trilogy.
I got VERY scared when the giant clam failed to eat Venus, meaning we would be subjected to more of her whining and bad Marilyn Monroe impressions. Scarred me for life. . .
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

False Face scared me, but I loved the episode for that very reason!
mattman

Post by mattman »

Parts you could put into a horror film;

Suzie's voice recording being repeated,"Oh what a ballllll!"

The incidental whiny backing music when we are at Catwoman's lair

The Joker's opera mask in The Joker is Wild(Heath wore a similar one)

False Face(2 instances,1-when he wears a red wig at HQ and 2-when he appears in the vending machine)

The Sandman's henchmen that look like the slepping dead

And worse of all.....Harriet doing that Catsui dance!!!! Oh the Horror!!!
Bob

Post by Bob »

The green alien from Jokers spaceship
philigan

Post by philigan »

As a kid I never understood what was going to happen to Aunt Harriet over the oil running with a straight jacket on. I thought that was pretty scary. I also wondered how Zelda got her up on that contraption. It was freaky watching her knit while Aunt Harriet was beside her.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I did not find any of the villains frightening. I percieved them based on who would cause the most trouble (the big four, Mr. Freeze, Bookworm, Clock King, False Face), so villains such as Puzzler, Black Widow, Louie, et al, were seen as weak right out of the gates.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Joker scared me with that dead white face of his, with the leering red lips and green hair.

The worst part? That suit of his. It put me off the color purple for YEARS, unless it was a darker shade.

Minstrel? His singing was scary as all heck, not to mention just plain awful.

Chandell? His CLOTHES scared me! I mean YEESH!!!

John Astin's Riddler scared me. With the mask on, and that demented smile (You know it was even more demented than Frank Gorshins!!), plus his meanness, I hated him.

That big bee scared me something awful in the Londinium episode. To this day, I am afraid of bees.

I know its fake NOW, but I didn't know it THEN.

King Tut? Fat and loud, but not scary.

Penguin? The only thing that scared me was the cigarette. I hate them.

Bookworm? Are you kidding? I'd be plotting to rifle his library! And get into a discussion about Tolkien with him, as well as Shakespeare, and Reinassance art....lemme stop.

The Archer? Uh....was he at all a good shot?

Black Widow? Carry Raid.

Mad Hatter? Knock off the hat with a baseball bat.

Egghead? Shove bacon under his nose and watch him freak out.

Catwoman? I'd probably ask if she had any kittens she wanted to give away.
Jersey Jim

Post by Jersey Jim »

The Joker..As a kid I was never fond of clowns..as a matter of fact, they scared the hell out of me!