Gordon/O'Hara bugged with microphones? (Question about possible scene from the series)

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Peter77

Gordon/O'Hara bugged with microphones? (Question about possible scene from the series)

Post by Peter77 »

First I want to say hello to everyone here as this is my first post and I hope this question has not been asked before (I could not find anything using the search engine).

Second: I hope the topic title is not too confusing and please excuse my english, it's not my first language. :)

Some backstory about me: I did grow up watching Batman in the late 80s (yes the late 80s because that is when the series first aired here) and I loved every minute watching it. As I grew older I always had fond memories about the show and loved talking and thinking about it but never really watched it again. There were no reruns and up until they finally released the DVD there was no easy way watching it. Now I have to confess that I still don't own the DVD/Blu Ray but now the Batman bug has bitten again and I will order it as soon as I can decide which Blu Ray player to get. Anyways, on to the question:

I do have this memory of someone (my guess is Chief O'Hara but it could really be anyone) being in Gordon's office and explaining how they saw some strange person (my guess would be the Joker) on the subway(?) and then it turns out that this person (O'Hara in my memory) was bugged/tapped (sorry I don't know the proper phrasing for this) and when Batman arrives he pulls yards of wire from that person to reveal that they indeed have been tapped. The whole scene is so crazy cause it demonstrates the over the top tongue in cheek humor because how would anyone NOT notice having ten yards of phone tap wire being spun around them.

Now the thing is this: No matter who I talk to (I just recently talked about this very scenario to a friend of mine who also watched the series as a kid) no one remembers this. I know that my vague description doesn't help but I "know" that I have seen this. So please help me. Does anyone remember such a scene or amy I just crazy?

Thanks in advance.
clavierankh

Re: Gordon/O'Hara bugged with microphones? (Question about possible scene from the series)

Post by clavierankh »

That sounds like The Jokers Last Laugh. Batman finds microphone in Gordon's cuff button and a long antenna wire running down his leg.
A. Pennyworth

Re: Gordon/O'Hara bugged with microphones? (Question about possible scene from the series)

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Pretty good memory! Here is the scene...
https://youtu.be/pjghB75kCec
dell

Post by dell »

Welcome Peter. You have a good memory to recall l that scene in pretty good detail.

Do you mind if I ask where you live? It is nice to know that Batman has fans around the world.
dell
Peter77

Post by Peter77 »

Thank you so very much. I was in tears watching it and I'm happy that I didn't make it somehow up in my mind.

"...the agile crook also managed to slip an induction receiving antenna..." I'm dying. lol

@dell: I'm from Austria.
dell

Post by dell »

Hi Peter,
My wife and I visited Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria and the Czech Republic back in 2006. I got sick in Vienna and didn't see much while in your country. It was probably something I ate in Hungary.

I had a customer in Austria when I worked at Honeywell Aviation. They were a very nice company to deal with. Their customer was a huge jerk and I hated dealing with them. I can't remember the name of the nice Austrian company. Dang!
dell
Peter77

Post by Peter77 »

dell wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:55 pm Hi Peter,
My wife and I visited Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria and the Czech Republic back in 2006. I got sick in Vienna and didn't see much while in your country. It was probably something I ate in Hungary.
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. Being sick while on holiday is definitely not something you want to experience (it has happened to me too). Vienna is great but what am I supposed to say, I'm biased. :)

So I take that you are from the US? Did you guys do some sort of "survey" where the users of this site come from? I'd take a guess and say that most would be from North America although I'm sure that there are Batman 66 fans all over the world. I bet that most children (at least the boys) from my generation in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (the show - as every foreign show - was dubbed in german) are fans of the 66 series - how could you not? :)
Peter77

Post by Peter77 »

Sorry for the double post but after being inspired by another thread (best secondary Bat villains) I need to share this, especially because it relates to me speaking german:

So Otto Preminger was born in Austria (actually the empire of Austria/Hungary before WW1) and didn't move to the USA until he was around 30 years old. So, obviously he had an austrian accent which you can hear in Green Ice/Deep Freeze. Now when he was unable/unwilling to reprise the role in Season 3 and Eli Wallach portrayed Mr. Freeze, the german narrator voice not only explained how the "new" Mr. Freeze (Wallach) was the brother of the former Mr. Freeze (Preminger), which I don't think was ever brought up in the original, but in the german version, Wallach had such a thick viennese accent that actually made no sense at all. I do believe that Wallach also spoke in some german/austrian dialect in the original (to reference Preminger?) but the german dubbed version is so hilarious and just adds to the nature of the show.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Preminger wasn't asked back because, according to virtually every account I've seen, he was a major pain in the lower region. Preminger's accent was definitely noticeable in the States, since he used the expression, "Wild" (pronounced by Preminger, "Vild") a mere 21 times in the two eps (14 in the first, only 7 in the conclusion).
Peter77

Post by Peter77 »

Dr. Shimel wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 am Preminger wasn't asked back because, according to virtually every account I've seen, he was a major pain in the lower region. Preminger's accent was definitely noticeable in the States, since he used the expression, "Wild" (pronounced by Preminger, "Vild") a mere 21 times in the two eps (14 in the first, only 7 in the conclusion).
Yes, I am aware of that too. I think I read that even Alan Napier (who I'd assume would be a good natured human being) had some not too good things to say about him. Oh well.