Henry Cavill Is Out As Superman

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

Henry Cavill Is Out As Superman

Post by Yellow Oval »

Apparently contract talks fell apart and Henry Cavill walked away. Can't say I blame him. The way they wrote the character as a now angst-filled, regretful, and reluctant being killing the hero concept and bogging the icon down in non-emotional, 'one facial expression only' mud. He never had a chance to really bring the character to life. That, and wearing that pathetic Snyder-influenced costume didn't help endorse Superman as the world knows him.

The fact he and Bat-Fleck are gone still finds me filled with WB/DC-itis. The sickening dread of bad comic books, their movies and TV shows. They'll eventually hire new actors and "genius" producers and directors and still find a way to muck things up.

The cure to WB/DC-itis? Some Little Caesar Romero's Pizza ((see what I did there? :lol: ) and DVD sets of George Reeves' Superman or Batman '66.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
SprangFan

Re: Hnery Cavill Is Out As Superman

Post by SprangFan »

Everyone's jumping on the "he's done with Superman" wagon, but all the initial report said was that he couldn't make the cameo in "Shazam" work with his schedule. He hasn't said he's done, his agent hints he's not done and all Warner says is "Cavill's great." This looks to me like a "we're still negotiating" kind of thing. Neither side wants to look more desperate to close a deal.

That said, I don't care one way or the other. Cavill seems like a nice guy and he was great in "Fallout," but I don't think anyone at Warner ever got a grip on how to handle the character.

With Affleck out as Batman and Cavill out as Superman, it'd be good for DC to hit the reboot button and start over on the DCEU, except Wonder Woman is their one hit, so they're not about to let her get away. And it'd look odd if she didn't even do a double-take when new faces show up wearing those costumes.

It looks like they've got another tack in mind, anyway: their various Joker films and other "Worlds of DC" projects suggest they're going to go for one-offs or "Elseworlds" stories that don't have to interconnect or happen in the same Universe. That way if one is great (like WW) and the others stink (everything else), the losers can't pull the winner down with them.

Which before Marvel was how we did everything; each movie independent in its own world. But by giving it a name, they have a "universe" without really having a "universe."

At least this would free up Cavill for the Bond role. Assuming they can get their act together and get that franchise back on the rails.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Yellow Oval

Re: Henry Cavill Is Out As Superman

Post by Yellow Oval »

It's all over TV news and internet entertainment magazines. He's gone.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/superman-h ... 202463120/

Note how polite and positive WB's remarks were in their latest 'statement'. That's always the tell-tale sign like when a potential employer gives you the "We wish you the very best success in all your future endeavors." which is bovine waste for "Take a hike, Spanky!"

As for who will assume Batman and Superman's costumes, first you need to have Batman's and Superman's real costumes and not those pathetic, all-in-one-color, rubber latex atrocities making superheroes look like multi-colored basketballs from an out of control lab experiment. Man, am I sick of this rubber and armor junk! :roll:

In any event, the now-humorous concept known as the WB/DC empire continues to implode. Despite Cavill's one-dimensional performance many fans said he would have been a great Superman if given a chance to emote under proper direction and writing. So they've now blown that one. All they have left is Gal Gadot whose acting is about as interesting as a finished wooden popsicle stick, but fans enjoy the directing and writing, and the yet-to-be determined 'Rob Zombie as some supposed kind of Aquaman' film.

Sprang Fan, you didn't like the latest 007 series? You mean you didn't like a Bond who looked like a cross between someone who was perpetually bored, tired, and was on the verge of upchucking? What's not to like? :lol: Yeah, Broccoli's daughter really hit it out of the park with her take.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Don't be surprised if both Bond and Supes have a markedly different appearance soon.

Cryptic language to avoid The Red Pen.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I'm not a huge fan of the Craig era, but then I largely lost interest once Roger Moore was done.

I was referring more to Eon's lack of ability (or interest?) in getting the films out on a more regular basis, and specifically the departure of the latest entry's director and writer, putting the start of filming and the promised release date in jeopardy. And yes, meanwhile Craig's not getting any younger.

I'm still not convinced Cavill's done, but I will say all the guesswork and rumor makes for the most media excitement the DCEU has generated in a long time. Maybe they should just skip actually making movies and concentrate on generating casting rumors and leaks.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Jon Hamm has expressed interest in Batman. Hire him already.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

My reaction?
Attachments
sticker319667315167762.png
sticker319667315167762.png (63.36 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
Music. BAT! Music.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

TBolt wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm Jon Hamm has expressed interest in Batman. Hire him already.
LOVE the Hamm, but all I can see in my mind is him playing Bruce Wayne like this:
https://youtu.be/gbiLanj8EuI?t=73
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Keith Mayo wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:25 am Don't be surprised if both Bond and Supes have a markedly different appearance soon.

Cryptic language to avoid The Red Pen.
So I've heard. ;)
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

TBolt wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm Jon Hamm has expressed interest in Batman. Hire him already.
Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-HammMan???
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

SprangFan wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:30 am I'm still not convinced Cavill's done, but I will say all the guesswork and rumor makes for the most media excitement the DCEU has generated in a long time. Maybe they should just skip actually making movies and concentrate on generating casting rumors and leaks.
SprangFan, that's hilarious! :lol:
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I never cared for him in the role. Christopher Reeve had that “IT” factor about him. Cavill is nowhere close to having that “IT”. That and the fact that DC has ruined these characters, at least for me, files this in the who cares bin.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

There is some indication that this may be blown out of proportion and just flat out speculation based on Cavill's interest in Bond and the fact that he's established himself in the Mission Impossible series now.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »