Legends on DC Universe

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jimmy L. 66

Legends on DC Universe

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

DC Universe launched yesterday. Kind of cool, hoping for. More content in the future.
Legends of the Superheroes is on there along with lots of other stuff-
Wonder Woman show, B: TAS- with the new stuff- Titans, Swamp Thing- to start soon.
Does anyone know which Batmobile is used for this? Looks like the #1 flocked, but there are no wheel spinners, and the radar antenna on hood is red.
Legends in Hi Def, if you are into that kinda thing.
Therin of Andor

Re: Legends on DC Universe

Post by Therin of Andor »

batrunner1966 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:52 pm Does anyone know which Batmobile is used for this? Looks like the #1 flocked, but there are no wheel spinners, and the radar antenna on hood is red.
For the dummies, can you explain what the heck you are describing. Something new is featuring a TV Batmobile?

"Legends DC Universe" on Google tells me about something that was online in 2011-2012?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Univer ... e:_Legends

"Legends of Tomorrow"?
https://www.dccomics.com/tv/dcs-legends-of-tomorrow
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

He means "Legends of the Superheroes," the 1979 TV movie featuring Adam, Burt, Frank and a host of DC heroes and villains. You know, the Emmy-winning comedy masterpiece.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

SprangFan wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:03 am He means "Legends of the Superheroes," the 1979 TV movie featuring Adam, Burt, Frank and a host of DC heroes and villains.
Ah, thank you. #RetiredManLives
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

"Emmy-winning"? Ho ho. The only way that show could get an Emmy would be if you threw one at the TV. :lol:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

chrisbcritter wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:09 am "Emmy-winning"? Ho ho. The only way that show could get an Emmy would be if you threw one at the TV. :lol:
:lol:
Beneath Wayne Manor
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Another streaming service attempting to nickel and dime the consumers. Pass.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

SprangFan wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:03 am He means "Legends of the Superheroes," the 1979 TV movie featuring Adam, Burt, Frank and a host of DC heroes and villains. You know, the Emmy-winning comedy masterpiece.
Thanks Sprang, in my excitement I was kind of vague
TBolt wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:38 am Another streaming service attempting to nickel and dime the consumers. Pass.
Exactly Tbolt, however this one is directly in my wheelhouse and possibly some other board members.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

TBolt wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:38 am Another streaming service attempting to nickel and dime the consumers. Pass.
You're more than entitled to that opinion, but in an era of such technological and societal shifts as to how we "consume" the content and material we desire, a dedicated platform like this actually seems to be one of the most potentially forward thinking moves that DC/WB has made in quite some time.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:19 pm
You're more than entitled to that opinion, but in an era of such technological and societal shifts as to how we "consume" the content and material we desire, a dedicated platform like this actually seems to be one of the most potentially forward thinking moves that DC/WB has made in quite some time.
ehh, I'm just tired of it turning into an alacarte thing that will get as expensive as cable is/was. I cut the cord on my directv in 2004 thanks to a hurricane and don't miss it. But I am not going to get pulled back into paying and paying for stuff. Disney's doing it, CBS, Fox, etc.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I view it as analogous to comic ships; a great thing if comics are already your bag, but not very useful for attracting new fans. Who's going to pay up front for content they're not already sure they're interested in? The new "Titans" and "Doom Patrol" shows may or may not please fans of those properties, but folks who don't already know who they are, or have yet to fall for superheroes in general, or who prefer Marvel to DC, may never even see it.

Same with Star Trek: I'm a fan of TOS and to a lesser extent TNG, but I have no intention to pay to see Discovery. These subscriptions services are great for niche audiences, but the days when a show like Batman or Star Trek could penetrate a majority of households to be exposed to a wide swath of viewers seem over. I have to wonder what that's going to mean for properties over the long haul.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

I'm experiencing a bit of all the reactions in these comments. We are certainly entering the "New Cable" era, and I am skeptical about the long-term viability of DC Universe. Marvel will have a major advantage because it will be packaged with other Disney content, so it will interest swathes of fans including Star Wars, Pixar, Disney Princesses and so on. I don't know if there's been any suggestion that Disney will package digital comics with their service, but that's pretty niche as well. WB might have a better shot if this was joined with their cartoon and film libraries.

That said, I was somewhat impressed by the depth of the initial offerings of DC Universe when I initiated the trial subscription. My kids are into the DC cartoons, so I will probably pay the monthly fee and gauge our usage. The library of digital comics was a bit underwhelming, but maybe that's impacted by licensing agreements for other comic platforms.

I watched a couple minutes of Legends/Roast, and... you know the rest. Having been filmed on video, neither the content or image quality will be improved by this presentation.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

I pulled the trigger on the DC Universe. After a couple of days I pulled the trigger on the kill switch.

As to the Teen Titans, I read this in another forum and about cracked up. :-)

"Do you remember how much you loved Kool-Aid as a kid? Then your mom bought Flavor Aid, the knock-off Kool-Aid and it looked the same but damn sure didn't taste the same? I just watched the first episode of Teen Titans. That's how I feel".
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

You’re exactly right. I’d rather pay for this “channel” knowing I’m going to watch Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Stargirl and more, than forced to pay for 300 channels on cable but only watch 6. I haven’t cut the cord yet...but the day is fast approaching.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

BatMite wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:53 pm
You’re exactly right. I’d rather pay for this “channel” knowing I’m going to watch Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Stargirl and more, than forced to pay for 300 channels on cable but only watch 6. I haven’t cut the cord yet...but the day is fast approaching.
cutting the cord won't do any good, you will eventually get stuck as hard as you were for cable.
To the Bat-Elephant!!