Aunt Harriet in the 1966 movie.

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

High C

Re: Aunt Harriet in the 1966 movie

Post by High C »

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:51 pm
I can't imagine why they would want to fire her, but if she was receiving a high salary for a bit part, I could see the producers wanting to keep costs down. Especially in the first two seasons where she was more prominent, as the sets were more elaborate.
Her health was declining by mid-1967 and she died of a heart attack in Feb. 1969 at age 69.

Wow, Keith, I didn't know that about Madge and her husband. I can hear Adam saying, 'It's up to us ordinary citizens to do our part in times of crisis, Robin.'
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
mattman

Re: Aunt Harriet in the 1966 movie.

Post by mattman »

The Manhatten Project!!!

That is a 2-parter in itself
chrisbcritter

Re: Aunt Harriet in the 1966 movie

Post by chrisbcritter »

High C wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:23 pmI can hear Adam saying, 'It's up to us ordinary citizens to do our part in times of crisis, Robin.'
I can hear Madge saying to her husband, after a long day at work, "James, some days you just can't get rid of A-Bomb!" :mrgreen:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

I thought she gave a cake to Adam after he defended her on the set ? (supposedly she got yelled at by one of the directors)
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Mr.Freeze wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:14 pm I thought she gave a cake to Adam after he defended her on the set ? (supposedly she got yelled at by one of the directors)
"The producers of wanted to fire Madge Blake, for reasons best known to themselves. Adam West, with whom she’d become friends, stood up for her and she kept her job. The next day, he found a freshly baked cake in his dressing room. To this day, West considers that one of the greatest compliments he’s ever been paid." https://www.66batmania.com/bios/heroes/aunt-harriet/
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

High C wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:16 pm On page 67 of the pdf, there is a short scene in which Dick is upset that Bruce has been kidnapped and Aunt Harriet talks about getting ransom money ready. It follows another cut scene, of the Air Force being scrambled about all the flying umbrellas. Sterling Holloway was to play Major Terry and there is a promo photo of him in the role.
Mmmm, that linked PDF actually has a different Page 67 (and page 67-A). Aunt Harriet's scene is Page 61 and 62.

The Major Terry scene appears on Page 57.

Sterling Holloway as Major Terry by Ian McLean, on Flickr

How is this for bizarre coincidence? I was taken to see "Winnie-the-Pooh and the Honey Tree" at the cinema just around the corner from the one screening the "Batman" movie in its Australian premiere season, in August 1967!
Therin of Andor wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:52 am Image
Aunt Harriet by Ian McLean, on Flickr
Madge's other scene is also reduced to a no-lines cameo. When the ambassadors are being rehydrated, she and Alfred are watching on TV. The script (page 119) has the (unused) lines:

AUNT HARRIET
You know Alfred, I'm just sick with shame!

ALFRED
Shame, madam?

AUNT HARRIET
For Bruce and Dick... Those two silly boys...
(groans)
With the whole world in the balance, THEY choose today to go FISHING!
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)