Behind the scenes footage on ebay!!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Chuck Williams

Behind the scenes footage on ebay!!!

Post by Chuck Williams »

Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
vintagematt

Re: Behind the scenes footage on ebay!!!

Post by vintagematt »

This is amazing, if only I was rich...
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Well if 25 of us each threw in $100 we’d have an opening bid.
I’m not interested in co-ordinating it but putting the idea out there. Keeping in mind this might be really lame footage. It’s silent, it might be a lot of board claps, etc.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

The bigger question is why wasn’t some of this stuff included on the dvd release?
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Which raises the intriguing question once again, could there be BLOOPER footage we all have been told didn't exist?
Music. BAT! Music.
njboywonder

Post by njboywonder »

One hundred and twenty minutes of extremely rare footage but he also writes...
It appears as if much of the footage could have been used for the final takes...but without sound it's difficult to tell.

So the vast majority could be scenes from the series and without sound--for thousands of dollars.

For what he's asking, he should be educated regarding and fully disclosing what it is...

Brett
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Batman65 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:00 pm The bigger question is why wasn’t some of this stuff included on the dvd release?
"The reels were thrown out in the 1980s and rescued from the dumpster. They have been stored away since then... until now."

You assume that the creators of the dvd set magically knew how to contact this person several years ago?
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Therin of Andor wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:58 pm
Batman65 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:00 pm The bigger question is why wasn’t some of this stuff included on the dvd release?
"The reels were thrown out in the 1980s and rescued from the dumpster. They have been stored away since then... until now."

You assume that the creators of the dvd set magically knew how to contact this person several years ago?
Yup! I am pretty certain that they could have put a lot more effort into including this stuff into the dvd release. As stated before by others, there are are probably lots of this stuff in archives. The studio should have put more edfort into including this stuff. They knew about it, they had to.
dell

Post by dell »

Batman65 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:22 pm
Therin of Andor wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Yup! I am pretty certain that they could have put a lot more effort into including this stuff into the dvd release. As stated before by others, there are are probably lots of this stuff in archives. The studio should have put more edfort into including this stuff. They knew about it, they had to.
I have worked for two very large organizations (the U.S. military and a Fortune 100 company). NEVER underestimate the bureaucracy, inertia, politics, stupidity and general laziness of a large organization. I am not saying that people in large organizations are any of these things; I am saying that the organizations themselves are.

When I was in the military we had an inspection coming up at our lab. The enlisted people went through the tools and spare parts used to maintain our equipment. They threw away everything that wasn’t on the approved list so we wouldn’t be caught with unapproved stuff and fail the inspection. After the inspectors left they went out and bought replacements for all the stuff they threw away so we could keep operating.

It was even worse in the private company. Office politics was unbelievable at times. One time our contracts guy refused to tell me what was in a Boeing contract even though I needed the information to resolve an issue. In his mind if he told me what I needed to know, I diminished his usefulness because now I knew it too.

In another case I had two people call me every few weeks for three or four months to get an FAA approval for a military part. I kept telling them the FAA only approves parts for civilian aircraft and has nothing to do with military parts. The FAA would never approve it. Never. They kept calling and telling me to do it. They refused to listen since it was a box on their list of things to do and they really wanted it checked off.

So because these films existed doesn’t mean the people at the studio who put together the Batman release knew about them or where they were. I’m happy we got what we did. I mean, look how long it took to get released.
dell
High C

Post by High C »

I think the reason none of this was included on the release, and this is only a guess, but an educated one, is this:

https://www.wired.com/2014/11/batman-ho ... o-finally/

Deep into this story about the longtime legal morass that surrounded the potential release of the show, and the contributions of board members in providing the impetus to get it released, is this small nugget:
Fox, which is now sole owner of the series, will receive a share of profits, while Warner Home Video will be the distributor of record.
With Fox not the actual distributor, I think there was little effort made on both sides to come up with more 'from the vault' extras to go along with the original screen tests and the Batgirl presentation reel. Fox would have been putting in more labor hours for something in which it was only getting a piece of the pie, and Warner would've been spending money on more extras, because they would have had to obtain the rights from Fox.

It's unfortunate.

As I've said before on the board, I once bought a DVD compilation of five Joan Collins movies from when she was a Fox 'starlet' in the late 1950s. One extra was a slideshow of vintage Fox promo photos and wardrobe tests of Joan from various Fox movies. I know plenty of promo pix are out there already, but imagine seeing stills of original costume tests for Adam, Burt, Frank, Burgess, Cesar, Julie, Victor, Yvonne, etc. If photos of Joan Collins from the 1950s still existed in Fox's archives, I'll bet these do too.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

And I always have to add anytime the discussion comes up about the release of the series and the rights issues, not all the rights to everything has been cleared: music for one. And probably other actors that we haven't seen figures and the like for such as Joan, and Rudee etc, etc. The release of the dvds in no way is complete, as in ABC's a color presentation bumpers etc. So, I'm sure the powers that be didn't know about these films.
Music. BAT! Music.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

It's fascinating that these exist, but I'm wondering why they do. Can anyone on the board with studio experience explain how snippets of dailies from multiple episodes (and at least two seasons) might wind up on "compilation reels" like these? Would there be any reason to create such things in the course of ordinary production?
dell

Post by dell »

Jim Akin wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:59 am It's fascinating that these exist, but I'm wondering why they do. Can anyone on the board with studio experience explain how snippets of dailies from multiple episodes (and at least two seasons) might wind up on "compilation reels" like these? Would there be any reason to create such things in the course of ordinary production?
That is a great point. And for them to not have sound makes it even stranger to me. I know next to nothing of studio operations, but the compilation of what seems fairly useless stuff does seem very odd.
dell
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

That is a great point. And for them to not have sound makes it even stranger to me. I know next to nothing of studio operations, but the compilation of what seems fairly useless stuff does seem very odd.
As far as the sound issue goes, I'm pretty sure it was still standard practice in the 60s to shoot film without sound while recording the audio to audio tape, and join the footage and sound track in post-production. In fact, this is why a "clapperboard" claps. When you lined up the visual of the board clapping with the audio track that included the "clap!", you knew the picture and sound were in sync.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
dell

Post by dell »

I am aware that most audio is/was added later. I have read that the audio for almost every outside scene is re-recorded as the audio is invariably ruined by extraneous noises or poor recording quality.

When I was in college about a dozen students got to go to Hollywood with a teacher for two weeks and we saw a number of shows being produced. We saw two rehearsals and the actual filming of an episode of the sitcom Taxi. By the actual filming we were beyond bored with the episode, but I remember the clapperboard guy snapping his board before every take. That was all he did by the way. I don't think he even updated the writing on the board to show what scene and take they were doing. He just snapped it.

The other show that stuck with me was the taping of the Tonight Show. Johnny Carson was out that day (imagine that!) and some guest host was filling in. I don't remember who that was. But I do remember Linda Lavin (Alice) was a guest on the show. They taped the show about 4 in the afternoon and the taping as supposed to last exactly an hour. hen it starts the host comes through the curtains and does the monologue. When they take a commercial break the lights on the stage turn off and the host and guests talk amongst themselves while the orchestra plays for the audience. Two or three seconds before the break ends the lights come back on and they start the show again. So after Linda Lavin finishes talking with the host she says she ants to sing a song. This was not in the show and the host tries to politely discourage this, but she insists. She gets the orchestra to play and she sings for 3 and a half minutes or so. Well, the taping runs a little long, about 3 and a half minutes long. We watched the show later that night and Ms. Lavin never sings her song. Heh heh heh.
dell