The show is streaming on Roku.

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

crazedvillain 2

The show is streaming on Roku.

Post by crazedvillain 2 »

For those with the Roku streaming player, the series is currently on the free channel Filmrise and appears to be in Blu-ray quality, I think. The channel is also a phone app in the Google Play store.
I'm the previous crazedvillain. I had to create a new account, I totally couldn't retrieve a new password. Outdated email.
TP-6597

Re: The show is streaming on Roku.

Post by TP-6597 »

I do and I’ll check it out. Thanks!
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

I checked this out the other night. On the plus side it's great having the series available on streaming and in the correct aspect ratio. I acquired my first widescreen TV recently, and I don't bother switching the aspect ratio on the DVD playback, so anything filmed in 4:3 gets stretched.

On the other hand, the playback is a bit glitchy, like there are missing frames of the film. It's not too dissimilar to when I'm watching the latest episodes of Flash, Supergirl and Riverdale on the CW streaming channel, only there are half-second pauses during the playback for those shows.

Also the cuts to commercial don't align with the act breaks on the program. I watched part one of the first Catwoman arc, and the first ad break cuts in between the Batmobile seat belt discussion and the delivery van driving up to the Gato & Chat Warehouse. I think they also cut to commercials just before Robin gets vacuumed out of the chamber. And you have to wait for each commercial to upload one at a time, and many times it's the same ad over and over.

What's more confusing are the screen shots representing each episode on the menu screen. Part two of the first Penguin arc is represented by a screen shot of the Joker, and most of the screen shots seemed to be taken of either Bruce in the study or Gordon at his office.

So you if you don't mind these minor annoyances, go and seek this out if you have Roku.
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Watched a few today. For me, no issues at all with playback/streaming. It’s Blu-ray quality, correct aspect ratio, smooth stream, and great sound. It’s really no different than playing our box sets.

The only weirdness I see is the same thing Bat77 pointed out; The commercials are strangely placed, not breaking where they did on regular broadcasts. That said, I was surprised they didn’t clip any time out. In fact, when they come back after the commercials, it replays the previous few seconds just before the commercial break.

No doubt, it’s a drag watching them with commercials, but the quality is so good that it takes the sting out. For me, this is nice to have when I want to stay up late watching without waking the house by getting out the box set and using the player in the main room. I can go into the spare room and watch the Filmrise channel with my Bluetooth headphones.

No complaints here.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I gave a look just for fun. The repetitious ads mean I’ll probably stick to Blu-Ray, at least while I’m home. But it’s worth noting that the “Next week” villain-teaser tags are restored to the ends of the Filmrise episodes.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Jim Akin wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:34 am I gave a look just for fun. The repetitious ads mean I’ll probably stick to Blu-Ray, at least while I’m home. But it’s worth noting that the “Next week” villain-teaser tags are restored to the ends of the Filmrise episodes.
That's good to know! Thanks Jim!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Any glitches in playback are more likely a user's connection speed and quality vs. the streaming service itself. I upgraded my WiFi recently and now everything is very smooth.

Those commercial breaks are timed, a lot of these "free" channels use this method, so it makes for awkward sometimes even mid-sentence breaks for a commercial.

It's a shame they don't run vintage commercials when they can-i.e. a product still in play today.
But as a fan of all things streaming I dig this being on this channel.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

We have Roku and really like it. It's fun to watch Batman on TV without the discs. Funny. When the series wasn't on dvd, all I wanted was that. Now we have it on dvd, and I'm watching it on TV.
Music. BAT! Music.
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:18 am Those commercial breaks are timed, a lot of these "free" channels use this method, so it makes for awkward sometimes even mid-sentence breaks for a commercial.
It does have an automated feel. I assume they load the discs in an automated server blade and software runs each show accordingly. That was my first thought when it replayed the previous few seconds prior to the break. It behaves the way my remote does when I fast-forward through commercials. Plus each commercial has to load for about one second, like it's coming from a different blade that holds all the ads.

Still though, no complaints here. I enjoy being able to pull it up on a whim while not interrupting the family's main room viewing. Plus I can jump around easily depending on whatever I want to see.