ARCHIE MEETS BATMAN '66 Coming this Summer

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

Re: ARCHIE MEETS BATMAN '66 Coming this Summer

Post by Yellow Oval »

I lost interest in the '66 comic sometime back around issue #12 and that was on its own. I've also never been big on cross-overs or team-ups - even when I was kid reading comics faithfully. Once in a while it was okay like Batman with Sgt. Rock or others in Brave and the Bold, but by and large I was never into the multi-cast bit so I never ventured much into JLA or the Avengers. These '66 cross-overs seem like grasping at straws - something DC seems to excel at nowadays on all counts.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

ChAnOoD wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 am I found weird that they keep doing those "oldies" crossovers and let the main title die. Why they did cancel the Bats66? Sales?
I was very surprised when the main title ended. I had assumed it was selling well, and I had been enjoying the limited-animation digital versions, essentially previews of the hardcopy comics to come, on my iPhone (although I started falling way behind, and when I switched phones there was too much effort trying to retrieve the older issues). Eventually, I weakened and rebought everything (for the third time) in the gorgeous hardcover volumes. They make handsome collectibles!

The big marketing thing in comics still seems to be creating as many comics with "#1" on the cover. It seems some speculators still put a lot of stock in the longterm investment price of a #1. Hence each "Batman '66" crossover mini-series appeals to two sets of franchise fans at the same time and, after six or so issues, we have yet another #1 cover to collect!

The anticipation of some of these crossovers perhaps eclipses the actual interest when they end up on the shelves. But overall, I have enjoyed the ride.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Therin of Andor wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:20 pm
ChAnOoD wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 am I found weird that they keep doing those "oldies" crossovers and let the main title die. Why they did cancel the Bats66? Sales?
The big marketing thing in comics still seems to be creating as many comics with "#1" on the cover. It seems some speculators still put a lot of stock in the longterm investment price of a #1. Hence each "Batman '66" crossover mini-series appeals to two sets of franchise fans at the same time and, after six or so issues, we have yet another #1 cover to collect!
Nail. On. The. Head.
Therin of Andor

TBolt wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:42 pm Maybe this will pave the way for a Gotham/Riverdale tv crossover. :)
"Archie meets Batman '66" omnibus by Ian McLean, on Flickr

The omnibus of reprints has been announced! 27th March.

At the end, there is speculation of a possible rematch.
Therin of Andor

TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Jthree wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:27 am Maybe if Jeff Parker and other writers can come up with some more Batman 66 stories, they can publish them later on. I always to see other writers (who may not have liked the sixties series) do their take on the show. Would love to see Chris Clairemont, John Byrne, and a few others do their take on it. Do I dare to even mention Denny O'Neil's name as a possible contributor?

==jthree
I'd love to see Grant Morrison take a swing at it too. And I'd kill for a Hellboy Batman 66 crossover. Batman could have been the inspiration for Hellboy's utility belt.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
BatgirlSpain

Post by BatgirlSpain »

I'd like to see some more Batman '66 comic books soon... and hopefully with me in them!
The one thing you couldn't possibly have in your utility belt, Batman... it's a woman's intuition
Therin of Andor

ChAnOoD wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 am Why they did cancel the Bats66? Sales? Well, if they keep doing these miniseries, I think they could do small arcs instead of matching the heroes with different franchises.
The comics industry found out a long time ago that #1 issues sell very well, so a series of mini-series means more covers with a #1 on the front.

IDW has done the same with "Star Trek".
Therin of Andor

ChAnOoD

Post by ChAnOoD »

Therin of Andor wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:47 pmThe comics industry found out a long time ago that #1 issues sell very well, so a series of mini-series means more covers with a #1 on the front.

IDW has done the same with "Star Trek".
I guess everything has to do with the green bucks ;)