TO THE BATPOLES podcast #101: Egghead and Olga are back… Or did they just get here?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #101: Egghead and Olga are back… Or did they just get here?

Post by bat-rss »

Back again for the first time, Egghead and Olga, in The Ogg Couple, originally meant to be the first of three parts. Did the producers do a good job of changing direction in midstream, or are the seams showing?

In addition to containing a raunchy joke the censors seemingly overlooked, this Batman episode inspires several musical ruminations, related to the source of the name of the Silver Scimitar of Taras Bul Bul, Batgirl's sabre dance, and after a session in the Bat Research Lab, Eureka! Egghead's theme is identified!

Also, the Lemon version of the Batman theme, and your mail!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/101-egg ... t-get-here
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
gothosmansion

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #101: Egghead and Olga are back… Or did they just get here?

Post by gothosmansion »

Thanks for the insights into the episode and for stating that this was intended to be the first part. That makes more sense, although the episodes are still pretty terrible.

I enjoyed the first Egghead two-parter from season two, but he was an entirely different character here. Originally, he was supposed to be smart and crafty, and I hate the way he is an idiot in season. Vincent Price could make some pretty bad material, entertaining though.

I agree with your two highlights. In spite of my dislike for the cowardly and stupid Egghead, the scene between Egghead and Batgirl is a lot of fun. Yvonne Craig mentioned in her book that Vincent Price was one of her favorite guest stars and they have great chemistry together. The bank manager was hilarious, too.

I hate for Batgirl to be the damsel in distress, but the saber dance was fun, too. No matter how bad some season 3 episodes got, Yvonne Craig was always fun to watch in her Batgirl role.

One thing I'm surprised you guys didn't mention. Batman seems to take his own sweet time brushing the caviar off Batgirl.
BAT 77

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #101: Egghead and Olga are back… Or did they just get here?

Post by BAT 77 »

Regarding the song "Abdul Abulbul Amir", it took me a few minutes to place where I have heard that song before, but I'm sure most fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation will remember this as the song sung by Brent Spiner as Lore (pretending to be Data) in the episode "Brothers" from the fourth season.
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
High C

Post by High C »

Tim, Terrific research by you on the old songs that were referenced in the arc. I will admit I still have no desire to go back and watch it, given that I find it the television equivalent of waterboarding. As usual, director Oscar Rudolph let one of the guest players (Baxter) go way over the top with zero restraint. Rudolph is a somewhat unsung villain in the show's demise.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

gothosmansion wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:07 am I hate for Batgirl to be the damsel in distress, but the saber dance was fun, too.
A way to show offer Yvonne's ample dancing skills.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Tim, you mentioned never seeing the Wayne Foundation on the TV series, and while that's true (it was infrequently referred to), Mego based many of its toys on comic concepts as much as anything inspired by the TV series.

Although the Wayne Foundation had been introduced in Detective Comics #328 (June, 1964), the playset was based on the office-turned-penthouse on the top floor of the foundation as introduced in Batman #217 (December, 1969), the famous issue where Dick leaves for Hudson University while Bruce and Alfred mothball Wayne Manor to set their new base of operations in the heart of Gotham, where they would remain for several years of the comic.

So, Mego was influenced from all manner of Bat-media, probably assuming (along with DC) that kids would be familiar with the comic book location.

About Anne Baxter...oh, the shame! Just think of her Zelda arc, the kind of character she portrayed, and the overall tone of that story. Ahh, the good 'ol days, right? Think of that security guard shooting at her during the robbery...Aunt Harriet's fiery cliffhanger...the would-be ambush of Batman & Robin, and Zelda's tearful farewell. Think of Riddle's wonderfully dramatic score for that last scene between Zelda & Bruce...

...then think of Olga and her accent, Egghead reduced to a whimpering man-child and the Colonel Gumm Cossacks....

Yay??
Beneath Wayne Manor