Batman 80th Anniversary Merchandise Coming Soon

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

TBolt

Re: Batman 80th Anniversary Merchandise Coming Soon

Post by TBolt »

Yellow Oval wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:55 pm You mean to tell me by looking at the figure that the Great and Powerful Wizard of Batman, his excellency Frank Miller, FORGOT to include purple gloves on The Dark Knight Returns??? Oh, the horror.... 8-)
HE didn't base the DKR black and grey costume on the first appearance. Its based on the pre new look Bats with black instead of Blue.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

That Bruce Timm STRANGE DAYS short is just brilliant-- I wish he had the circular belt buckle, but it is the closest we get to 1939 Batman.

As for Miller, I've never understood the vexation towards THE DARK KNIGHT-- it reads very much like it could be the Adam West Batman, short eared costume and all. The overall story is operatic and the ending is extremely upbeat. Now the sequel he did 15 years later-- yeah that I'd rather not remember.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

AndyFish wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:28 am That Bruce Timm STRANGE DAYS short is just brilliant-- I wish he had the circular belt buckle, but it is the closest we get to 1939 Batman.

As for Miller, I've never understood the vexation towards THE DARK KNIGHT-- it reads very much like it could be the Adam West Batman, short eared costume and all. The overall story is operatic and the ending is extremely upbeat. Now the sequel he did 15 years later-- yeah that I'd rather not remember.
I fully believe it is the 66 Batman in that story, the time line works out about right, 20 years later Reagan is President in 86 so it made sense. Telling kids to watch their language, telling the readers he's using rubber bullets there are a lot of little bits like that giving hints. The cartoon adaptation used the batphone sound effect from the tv show too. I think its more the anger of some older Bat fans over what influence the Dark Knight later had over the character and DC in general. Its still rubbing off on the movies, hopefully with the performance of Aquaman they are getting over that tho.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

That makes a lot of sense, TBolt-- I can't stand the current incarnation of Batman in the comics, and haven't been interested in him since THE DARK KNIGHT. There have been occasional good stories here and there (Year One is one of them) but for the most part they turned him into a lonely angry somewhat psychotic anti-hero. Much of that can be attributed to Miller's DK but in his epic it all fit the world he had created. Batman had been sitting below the surface of Bruce Wayne for ten years, stewing, building, waiting to get out. His relationship with Superman is mischaracterized as depicting the end of the friendship. Not true-- in an early scene Clark Kent calls Bruce to tell him he'll be "way out of town" so they are friends. Batman's exhaustion towards Superman's working as a government agent builds over the story.

In the hands of lesser writers the DK characterization becomes ridiculous. It's not Miller's fault he told a great story about an older Batman coming back into action. Just because DC Comics can't come up with an original idea having Batman return more to his blue and grey days isn't his fault.
zarm106

Post by zarm106 »

From the Entertainment Earth site, here are some 80th Anniversary preorder items.

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/s/?q ... nniversary
zarm106

Post by zarm106 »

DC Comics has launched a website to promote the 80th anniversary of Batman.
https://www.dccomics.com/batman80
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

For Batman's 80th Anniversary I did a Variant Cover which will also be released as a limited edition print-- the image is based on his first appearance in the comic book. Colors are done to be primary and simple as an homage to 1939 era comics printing. I think it came out OK.

Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Absolutely beautiful, Andy!! LOVE IT!
Using it as wallpaper on my phone now. :-)
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Snagged these two items today!
Attachments
D1B8QaeXcAAucKA.jpg
DTC_80_Years_of_BM_HC_5bea1732879cd6.67898305.jpg
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Oh yeah, I’m digging this one for sure! Thanks for posting Andy!
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Keith Mayo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:47 pm Snagged these two items today!
Keith, is that 80th Anniversary Giant one of the Wal-Mart exclusive comics?
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

gothosmansion wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:17 pm
Keith Mayo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:47 pm Snagged these two items today!
Keith, is that 80th Anniversary Giant one of the Wal-Mart exclusive comics?
Yes, Sir.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Stopped in my local Wally World to see if I could find that comic, no luck-- was it with the regular Wal-Mart Batman comics, Keith?
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

AndyFish wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:19 am Stopped in my local Wally World to see if I could find that comic, no luck-- was it with the regular Wal-Mart Batman comics, Keith?
No, Sir. They were in the book/magazine section on an end cap.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Keith Mayo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:15 am
AndyFish wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:19 am Stopped in my local Wally World to see if I could find that comic, no luck-- was it with the regular Wal-Mart Batman comics, Keith?
No, Sir. They were in the book/magazine section on an end cap.
Thanks for the info. I didn't find one at my local Wal-Mart either.