Is your Favorite Movie Celebrating an Anniversary in 2019?!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

gothosmansion

Re: Is your Favorite Movie Celebrating an Anniversary in 2019?!

Post by gothosmansion »

SprangFan wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:00 am
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Wow, I'd forgotten that one! When it came out, I was living in an upright town where concerned citizens drove it out of the theater in short order as an "abomination" and an affront to cherished American ideals. I mean, really, Santa Claus as a serial killer? :o

In 1981, a staffer on the same town's newspaper upheld the community's ideals in printed ads for "For Your Eyes Only", drawing a "tasteful" pair of shorts over the skimpy bikini bottoms worn by the woman on the poster.

Good thing those folks saved American entertainment from a slide into tacky and lurid excess 30+ years ago, or who knows where we'd be today. :lol:
Yeah, I remember that, on both counts. I don't remember Silent Night Deadly Night ever playing in my town. The thing is, Tales from the Crypt had already had a killer Santa Claus back in the 1970s.

I can't believe I forgot a couple of 5 anniversaries, since Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla was the 20th anniversary Godzilla movie.

65 years
Godzilla

55 years
Mothra vs Godzilla

25 years
Godzilla vs Destroyah

60 years
House on Haunted Hill
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Now I wish I'd saved one of those newspaper ads. Years later I realized the FYEO poster sparked something of a controversy and several papers took the same approach. In fact maybe my town's paper just used a "family friendly" version of the artwork that was distributed around the country.

In a way it was a savvy marketing move. So much attention went to the poster that three different models entered competing claims that their legs were the ones in the image. Turns out they used the legs from one model and the hand of another (wearing a distinctive ring that she based her claims on). Also, they may have deliberately gone for controversy because they had the model wear the bikini bottoms backwards, to show more skin. Anyway it made an impression, as quite a few other movie posters have paid "homage" with lookalike designs, included but in no way limited to "Transporter 2" and "Kingsman: The Secret Service."

Wow, I know way too much trivia about a poster I don't even consider one of the better ones in the series.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Weird thing is I got a Johnny Lightning car of one of the vehicles from For Your Eyes Only. It featured a "James Bond 007" over the model's posterior in the mini poster in with the car. The text and background went down to her thighs.

I forgot the Muppet Movie is turning 40 this years.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

55 yrs ago : 007 FRWL , Pink Panther , 007 GF

50 yrs ago : Easy Rider , Midnight Cowboy , 007 OHMSS , Hello Dolly

45 yrs ago : For Petes Sake (quite underrated if you ask me)

40 yrs ago : 007 MR (i met Lonsdale , such a down to earth modest man) , Deer Hunter (premiere was x-mas '78 so most saw it in '79)

35 yrs ago : Karate Kid , T1 , BH Cop , Ghostbusters

30 yrs ago : 007 LTK (final Dalton Bond) , Batman

(last yr : Batman Subzero 20)
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

"FYEO poster sparked something of a controversy"

On the pakistani movie poster Melinas shorts were not as risque and longer , the water skiing girl on Jaws 2 poster was also in bathing suit instead of a bikini

The art on the italian movie posters were pretty liberal , def not pc today :lol:
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I forgot about "Hello, Dolly!" I remember loving that so much...
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"