Any Tips on How to Spot a Fake Autograph?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

vintagematt

Any Tips on How to Spot a Fake Autograph?

Post by vintagematt »

I've recently been looking for an autographed picture of Patty Andrews, and being the cynical person I am, I never trust it when they say "hand signed"! Any tips on how to tell if it's real or fake?
Thanks! :D
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
thebionicbigfoot

Re: Any Tips on How to Spot a Fake Autograph?

Post by thebionicbigfoot »

As someone that has collected autographs for 40+ years now, I hope I can provide some valuable information for your request. Here are some things to consider:

1. Popularity / Value of Subject. The more popular the celebrity, the more marketable they typically are. Patty Andrews of the Andrew Sisters was adored by an earlier generation of fans, and I highly doubt the demand is there for the forgers to provide signatures. Adam West fakes have flooded Ebay, most poorly executed examples.

2. Type of item signed. Gaining popularity in the 1940s, most Patty Andrews items are going to be on small photos, postcards, or index cards. Most will be signed in ink, not sharpie, although later life signature may have been signed in sharpie.

3. Autograph Formation: Check the signature for flow, pen pressure, and slant. Forgers typically trace and autograph, so there are often starts and stops when they try to sign. Compare your desired signature to other examples found on line. Look for similarities.

I would be be more than happy to provide an opinion on a signature that you are looking for.

Thanks,

Troy R. Kinunen, 414-828 -9990 or email troy@mearsonline.com
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Thank you very much! This is the listing I am thinking about...does it look genuine?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Patty-Andrews-V ... 3027568433

There also seems to Be another very similar listing, slightly different writing...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PATTY-ANDREWS- ... Swdr1b2lib

I believe these were signed later in life, due to the glossy photo and the sharpie!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
thebionicbigfoot

Post by thebionicbigfoot »

The link you provided me for the signed photo you are interested compares favorably to both vintage and modern signatures that are offered on line. I compared it to examples which have been authenticated by PSA, and it compared favorably. Note the stylized "P" and the line she adds under her signature, very consistent throughout her autograph career. I would be comfortable bidding on this example. Troy
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

thebionicbigfoot wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:04 pm The link you provided me for the signed photo you are interested compares favorably to both vintage and modern signatures that are offered on line. I compared it to examples which have been authenticated by PSA, and it compared favorably. Note the stylized "P" and the line she adds under her signature, very consistent throughout her autograph career. I would be comfortable bidding on this example. Troy
Thanks a lot, this will be a proud addition to my collection! But just a question, are you referring to Both or just one of the signatures?

Any thoughts on which one seems more authentic?
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Always get lifetime money back guarantee *in writing*

Even fakes can be hand signed so I get a bit skeptic when they state it's "hand signed" in an ad.

Its expensive to collect real autographs unless you find bargains :

Walken resume 100$ (these days you get a sloppy "CW" at best , this is filled out entirely by him)
de Niro 300 (stopped signing thru mail around 1982)
Elvis sgd photo 1000 (a bargain and its real from the 50s)
Streisand receipt from HD set (stopped signing thru mail late 80s)
Jaws book by all three (only one in the world ?) 1500
Connery vintage Bond stills , 2x (ever since the 60s hes had people sign his fan mail , most sgd photos are fake.....there might even be fake sgd book plates although most of them are prolly real)