Season 1 Stunt Belt

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
PropReplicator2

Season 1 Stunt Belt

Post by PropReplicator2 »

Looking for more information on the stunt belt as seen in season 1, episode 13. This scene takes place momentarily after Batman breaks loose from the plaster shell that the mad hatter has poured over him. Obviously it makes sense to me that they wouldn’t intentionally destroy one of the “hero” suits with the budget they had that early on in the series, so they used a stunt suit instead. In the image attached, you can visibly note the vertical curve in the utility pouch on Batman’s left side. Could these have been cast rubber? Also the pouch closure straps look like they are engraved into the pouch. My theory is this: the makers used a wooden block shaped like the belt pouch, engraved the lines in them to make it look like it had the same closure strap and snap as the “hero” belt, and cast them in rubber explaining the vertical curve in the left pouch. Does anyone have any information or other scenes you can see this belt in?

Thanks!
The goal when making a perfect replica is to not focus on the perfections, but perfecting the imperfections. :ugeek:
Batman65

Re: Season 1 Stunt Belt

Post by Batman65 »

From what I understand, and I am sure Scott and / or Chuck will correct me here, some were cast in a foam rubber type of material to make it more comfortable. In some scenes, the.pouches actually look like Swiss cheese.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

In that scene he's wearing a version of the pilot cowl which was phased out of being a hero cowl.

The belt boxes are simply scissored foam with the strap glued on! I made one just to satisfy my curiosity.
I could probably have used a less refined foam. Sucks up the paint...like a sponge!

He wore these quite a bit and in fact they are foam in the widely used Gold curtain photo shoot.

Adam's biggest complaint about the belt was the buckle or boxes shoved into the gut when he moved too quickly. This solved part of it.

I suspect the later versions were foam covered in leather or fabric.

Belt boxes were also just wooden blocks or leather covered wood in the first season too.
Attachments
1613853_10204207601936886_111110143251079181_n.jpg
DSC_0133 (2).JPG
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
PropReplicator2

Post by PropReplicator2 »

Thanks for the reply Chuck that information is vastly helpful! :)
The goal when making a perfect replica is to not focus on the perfections, but perfecting the imperfections. :ugeek:
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I never noticed the rubber belt until I got the blu rays and said "WAIT WHY IS BATMAN WEARING A CHEESE BELT!".
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:33 pm I never noticed the rubber belt until I got the blu rays and said "WAIT WHY IS BATMAN WEARING A CHEESE BELT!".
Sponge Bat Blue Pants.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Keith Mayo wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:00 pm
THE BATPHONE! wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:33 pm I never noticed the rubber belt until I got the blu rays and said "WAIT WHY IS BATMAN WEARING A CHEESE BELT!".
Sponge Bat Blue Pants.
:D
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Seldom-seen cylinder next to the sponge box. :)
Attachments
Batmolive Bat belt - wm4.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Batfanman wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:45 pm Seldom-seen cylinder next to the sponge box. :)
LOL! Man does not live by grime-fighting alone. :)
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Batfanman wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:45 pm Seldom-seen cylinder next to the sponge box. :)
You’re soaking in it.
:D
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”