I’m Sorry VICTOR BUONO, I Was Wrong About You

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dan Greenfield

I’m Sorry VICTOR BUONO, I Was Wrong About You

Post by Dan Greenfield »

Hey, Batfolks!

Too bad it took until adulthood to understand the brilliance of Victor Buono, who would have been 81.

Here’s a tribute to the late, great King Tut, up at 13th Dimension:

https://13thdimension.com/im-sorry-vict ... about-you/

Check it out if you like!

-- Dan
Mark Racop

Re: I’m Sorry VICTOR BUONO, I Was Wrong About You

Post by Mark Racop »

Nice article, Dan! I was the same way about (dare I say it?) Frank Gorshin's Riddler. It took ten years of maturing for me to appreciate Frank's absolutely incredible performances.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Ha-- I didn't like Tut as a kid but he's my favorite now.
I liked Gorshin as a kid but always felt the Riddler was a pale imitation of The Joker.
Still do.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

AndyFish wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:57 pm Ha-- I didn't like Tut as a kid but he's my favorite now.
I liked Gorshin as a kid but always felt the Riddler was a pale imitation of The Joker.
Still do.
Tut is my favorite.
Andy, would you agree that most Joker portrayals- after Frank- are imitations of the Riddler? Hamill draws alot from him, imo.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

When I first saw Hamill as The Trickster on the 90s "Flash" series i thought, "he's channeling Gorshin's Riddler!"

Then when I heard his Joker on BTAS, I thought, "Hey, it's the Trickster again!"

So for me, Hamill's Joker is Gorshin's Riddler twice removed.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Trickster also had a hot-but-crazy girlfriend/flunky (Prank) who was basically Harley Quinn before Harley Quinn. The makers of BTAS owed a lot to The Flash.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I would say that to the extent The Riddler was fun at all, it was because Frank played him in a Joker-like mode. There was nothing in the comics to suggest such a manic personality, and if he'd been all that fun, he'd have been used more than -- what? -- three times in 20 years.

Now the Riddler has morphed again into something very not Gorshin and was played so sober and restrained on BTAS that I dreaded every episode that featured him. So basically the Riddler we know from the show was an aberration , just one that ironically ended up being the most famous version of the character.

As for Tut, and Victor in general, I'm still working on developing an appreciation.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
K.G. Bird

Post by K.G. Bird »

Like most of you I grew up on the big four: Joker, Penquin, The Riddler, and Catwoman. But when I got older Victor Buono had the most amazing depth. He was so good being silly one moment, hilarious the next then equally maniacal also. "Dance you slaves!, music.....Bat music".
"Really Dick! I fear some recent romantic interlude has fevered your imagination. Aunt Harriet is..utterly..beyond..reproach".
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

AndyFish wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:57 pm Ha-- I didn't like Tut as a kid but he's my favorite now.
Still do.
Andy, I agree with you 100%. When Tut was on, as a kid, I didn’t care for the character. He was the guy who came on when Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman weren’t. Didn’t understand his comedic genius, his impeccable timing. Now he is my favorite. He almost reminds me of Jackie Gleason with his precision.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

K.G. Bird wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:57 am Like most of you I grew up on the big four: Joker, Penquin, The Riddler, and Catwoman. But when I got older Victor Buono had the most amazing depth. He was so good being silly one moment, hilarious the next then equally maniacal also. "Dance you slaves!, music.....Bat music".
Notice my tagline..
Music. BAT! Music.