Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle Returns

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle Returns

Post by AndyFish »

One of my favorite toys as a boy is being reissued, I'm sure I'm not the only one who had one.

Stunt Cycle Pre Order
tenderheart bear

Re: Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle Returns

Post by tenderheart bear »

That is so cool.

I still have the van, complete with box in the loft somewhere.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Oh yes, I got one Christmas the first year they came out, 1974???
Later, my dad told me he had a heck of a time finding one and had to answer an ad in our local paper from what we'd now call a hoarder. He paid $25 for it, which back then was insane.
The FIRST TIME I used it, Evel went flying on his Harley, hit the ramp that I had made, flipped in the air, came down and landed on his handle bars. The hard plastic that Ideal used to make the bars snapped off right in Evel's hands and that was it. Over. Broken. I kept it around for years, tried to glue the bars, but eventually sold it at a garage sale. Got 50 cents I believe. Ideal should have used thick rubber for handle bars.
Music. BAT! Music.
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

this and a Super Toe and I'm good
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I remember buying that as my brother’s Christmas gift back in the 70’s. Who is releasing it this time around?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

That’s cool. I had the crash car, my brother had the cycle and stadium set! My god, we had a ton of fun with those. Talk about a throwback!
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Had that, the Sramble Van, and a few extra figures that I took everywhere. HUGE fan as a kid, possibly why I’ve been a daily rider ever since.

I currently have three pairs of Evel Knievel socks that I wear fairly regularly. Also a T-shirt.

“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Mike Mulitsch wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:41 pm this and a Super Toe and I'm good
Never had Super Toe, but...my buddy did. We had a lot of fun with that thing too!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Szabol wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:28 pm I remember buying that as my brother’s Christmas gift back in the 70’s. Who is releasing it this time around?
A company called California Creations-- pretty cheap too. I think I'm going to get one and have my wife look at me funny when I open it.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

There was a reissue around 2006ish. I picked up one for a co-worker and we gave it a spin in the warehouse. The cycle didn't have the extended exhaust pipes like the original which kept the thing from flipping backwards back in the day and created the wheelies and the somersault jumps. The new bike was balanced differently so the thing just went straight without any wheely or somersault action. Hopefully the newer ones go back to the original wheely action and extended exhaust pipes.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I'm definitely there for this! Back in Christmas of '74 the two greatest gifts I ever received were both the stunt cycle and the scramble van. Now they're both lost to time and I have a chance to get back one item. Too bad the original iconic box art isn't being used as well but that's no big deal. I'll be adding this to my collection of Evel (who was the first and only living superhero) memorabilia. Thanks, Andy, for the heads-up.

By the way, anyone ever been here?
http://evelknievelmuseum.com/
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Scott Sebring wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:37 am There was a reissue around 2006ish. I picked up one for a co-worker and we gave it a spin in the warehouse. The cycle didn't have the extended exhaust pipes like the original which kept the thing from flipping backwards back in the day and created the wheelies and the somersault jumps. The new bike was balanced differently so the thing just went straight without any wheely or somersault action. Hopefully the newer ones go back to the original wheely action and extended exhaust pipes.

The wheelies were the best thing about the cycle. If the new one won’t do that, it will be a major disappointment.hopefully it will.
majormac2

Post by majormac2 »

I had one too along with the scramble van. Great toy, skinned knuckles and all!! Wish I still had it and all my SSPs.
svl

Post by svl »

This new reissue is the same cycle mold as the last one (2006).
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

svl wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:50 am This new reissue is the same cycle mold as the last one (2006).
So no wheelies then. That's a deal breaker for me.