SCRIPT: THE FUNNY FELINE FELONIES

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Re: SCRIPT: THE FUNNY FELINE FELONIES

Post by bat-rss »

Therin of Andor wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:29 pm Lafcadio Hearn, journalist known for his writings about the city of New Orleans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafcadio_Hearn
And Japan!!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

High C wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 amGreat catch. I have to admit, maybe I'm still too naive at age 54, but I missed it. Of course, he later mentioned LSD in the treatment, so I should've figured it out.
I totally missed "Hero-in" there too.
High C wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 amIn a similar vein, he has a line in the treatment in which Catwoman says, 'the only way I'll ever kill Batman is with love and kindness.' It's as if he also was trying to rebel against the new edict of 'ixnay on the romance angle between Batman and CW.'
Is that the seed for what grew into the "Batman and Catwoman have a wedding ceremony on a ferry" scene (mentioned by High C) that Ross crowed about supposedly getting past the censors in the TV Academy interview?? Seemed like he really believed such a scene had existed.
High C

Post by High C »

bat-rss wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:27 pm
High C wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 amIn a similar vein, he has a line in the treatment in which Catwoman says, 'the only way I'll ever kill Batman is with love and kindness.' It's as if he also was trying to rebel against the new edict of 'ixnay on the romance angle between Batman and CW.'
Is that the seed for what grew into the "Batman and Catwoman have a wedding ceremony on a ferry" scene (mentioned by High C) that Ross crowed about supposedly getting past the censors in the TV Academy interview?? Seemed like he really believed such a scene had existed.
Excellent question. Maybe it existed only in his head.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

High C wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:05 am Excellent question. Maybe it existed only in his head.
It certainly didn't exist on the screen!
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

I would have liked to have seen how it existed on script. Or even in SRR's head. Wouldn't that have been interesting?

--jthree
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I think it definitely falls into the category of things we'd all like to read if it exists. 'Course it could be disappointing to actually read.

My initial guess is the Olga storyline was repurposed from Catwoman since there was a marriage plot, so it was like that to a degree. Except on a ship. No borscht, etc.

Maybe Catwoman and her gang have Robin hostage, he's forced to be "best man" and the marriage is about to occur when Batgirl shows up.

Something like that maybe. Unless there's some mind control at work Batman wouldn't say "I do". Mind control or sidekick hostage. Who knows, maybe SRR found a different approach.

There was always more chance of Catwoman reforming than Batman turning evil. Let's face it, he'd never turn evil no matter how much he loved Catwoman. And I think she'd have been disappointed had she gotten her wish. Maybe not at first, but eventually. But I could see her turning good.

SPOILERS FOR BATMAN VS. TWO-FACE

It's why I liked the reformed Catwoman in that final Adam West movie; no tricks or ploys, she legitimately turns good and was a happy ending for the '66 show. She even warmed up to Robin!

cheers
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Bill Finger wrote a few stories where Batman allowed Catwoman to escape "accidentally on purpose" in the early days of the comics. Although I would have hated it as a kid, older me wishes the Batman TV show would have done that on an episode just once....to show the Batman/Catwoman attraction wasn't one-sided and that Batman definitely liked her too.

I enjoyed the Batman/Catwoman relationship in the Return of the Caped Crusaders and Batman vs Two-Face as well.
JWeathers

Post by JWeathers »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:31 am Image

Our next script(s) for TO THE BATPOLES podcast discussion will be a treatment, first draft, and final of the Catwoman/Joker two-parter, "The Funny Feline Felonies" and "The Joke's on Catwoman"!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ua21l8ooingkuod/Funny Feline Felonies- treatment.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nnc927dc52y8ru/Funny Feline Felonies First Draft.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k1gwdu3yewz84d/Funny Feline Felonies Final.pdf?dl=0
Hey there - it seems that page 37 of the first draft is missing. Do you have that, or was it missing in your original script?

Thanks.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Yeah, there are several pages missing from the first draft. Wasn't able to get in touch with Laramie in time to see if those pages were accidentally unscanned or simply missing from the archive.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Oscar tells us now that those pages are missing from the archive.