Did Any of the Villains Scare You?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

exm

Re: Did Any of the Villains Scare You?

Post by exm »

The one I can recall is the Riddler, who really did seem unbalanced

One of the last shots of the pilot was the Riddler and his gang surrounding the inert Robin. Unlike the majority of henchmen that just dutifully wore the team colors, the goons in that episode were each unique and seemed like particularly creepy characters

I agree with the others that Falseface' and his crew also gave a strong vibe of creepiness
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

The only time I was ever really shocked was seeing kindly and kooky Gomez Addams wearing Riddler's garish green (my own term...) Riddlertards and trying to drown B&R in quicksand. Seeing a favorite character turned into an evil villain upset me for years. Now I consider Astin's Riddler as my favorite Bat-Villain. Go figure!!!
LittleLouisGroovy

Post by LittleLouisGroovy »

That shot of False Face reflected in the vending machine terrified me when I first saw it. It still gives me chills all these years later. The red wig and his heel-clicking also creeped me out, as did the idea that anyone could be False Face in disguise, so you could never feel safe. The other really scary moment was seeing Aunt Harriet suspended over the flaming oil. Even now, I think it seems like the most sadistic moment of the series -- to subject the most benign and innocent character to such a horrible predicament.
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

For me, Shame's bad temper
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

I have always been scared of the Joker. When I was about 4 years old (1968), I was watching an episode with the Joker and it was dark in the room. A friend of my mother's was over and she walked by me and said "If you're not good, the Joker will come and take you away" I really never got over that until recently.
Batman1962

Post by Batman1962 »

I'd have to say the Riddler, especially when he had B&R tied to the rotating wheels and whispered good-bye to each of them. Plus, his laugh was by the far the most menacing and creepy.
Zsa Zsa Gabor? Tallulah Bankhead? Um, no. And no.
The Joker

Post by The Joker »

Certainly The Joker did, somewhat. I believe I was more intrigued than frightened with the character when I first saw him appear in The Joker Is Wild episode. Those first two Joker episodes and The Joker Goes To School is where my TV Joker fascination was cemented. Sinister, menacing, evil and with the ghastly white make-up clown face and maniacal laugh -- yes, i was somewhat scared and I believe for that very same reason The Joker became my personal favorite character and the one I hoped would appear in each episode on television.